Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day everyone :)

I am wondering if a 2nd generation transmission would fit on a 1st gen engine ?

I've heard that there's some crucial details that are different between a 1st and 2nd gen engines. What would I need to do if I ever want to put a 94+ engine in my 1990 bike ?

Thanks a million guys

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
Frog said:
Good day everyone :)

I am wondering if a 2nd generation transmission would fit on a 1st gen engine ?

Yes all trannys will swap both ways.

I've heard that there's some crucial details that are different between a 1st and 2nd gen engines. What would I need to do if I ever want to put a 94+ engine in my 1990 bike ?

The flywheel and ignitor are diffrent
Thanks a million guys

FOG

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you :)

Can someone now point me what the ignitor does and what it looks like (please be more specific than 'it ignites' and 'looks like an ignitor' ;)) I have never opened an engine before ?

Am I correct thinking that if I get a 2nd gen engine (with flywheel) and an ignitor will be the only parts needed to get a newer engine for my current ride ? <= I might turn my ride in a track bike, since I love to ride this much and I can't seems I'll be able to afford keeping it on the streets => http://www.ex-500.com/index.php/topic,2359.0.html

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
I'm sorry , The Ignitor is the CDI ignition it's a incapsulated circut that does all the chores of the distributer in the old days and lives behind the right rear panel. Its a blach plastic part about 3" square and 3/4" thick with a multi prong plug. It 's part of the wiring harness. The flywheel and the pickup/s in the flywheel cover tell the CDI box where the crankshaft is and It times and fires the spark plugs. These parts were changes in 1994 and won't mix with older years. It can be done but you need to Know. I can tell you but I need to know just what you plan to do.
FOG

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FOG said:
It can be done but you need to Know.
That's why I asked knowing you would answer :) No matter what some say, you are an invaluable ressource to this community.

I was planning on getting my 1990 bike to run a newer engine and transmission from a crashed bike or a parted out machine. At the same time, it would give me the opportunity to learn at my own pace how to dissassemble/tune/reassemble this bike engine and tranny without losing any ride time since I would have one in the bike and one on the bench.

I am very interested in a how-to. I got the feeling that it could be beneficial for a couple of us : peoples who don't have many ex500 in their area available and racers :)

Besides, the only parts bike I can find around are 2nd gen..

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
OK, to put a newer engine in an older bike, you have several options. The old bikes Igniter won't work with the new engine's flywheel and pickups.
You can:
1 Swap the flywheel and pickups from the old engine.
2 Obtain and use the entire wire harness from a new bike.
3 Use the old pickups and alter the new flywheel.

#3 is the most common. you put the dual pickups from the old engine into the new engines cover. and grind off the extra triggers from the new flywheel.

FOG

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
#1 and 3 seems quite simple :) Glad to see that

For #2 that means to use the black box that sit on the battery from the newer bike too.. Correct ?

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
Frog said:
#1 and 3 seems quite simple :) Glad to see that

For #2 that means to use the black box that sit on the battery from the newer bike too.. Correct ?
No that in just a fuse terminal. the CDI ignitor lives under the right rear side panel above the passenger peg It plugs into the wire harness.

If you choose to use the new wire Harness for the swap you need the whole thing. I have never done this on a street bike. So i'm not sure if you'll run into any problems with light and safty switches. I know the engine will run fine as I have done this with several race bikes.

FOG

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Allright, I'll try to take a peek under that right side fairing asap. I haven't got the chance to spend 'quality time' with my ride lately.

Thanks much for the precisions :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts