Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

I have a 98 ex500 that needs some rear plastics.
I know the older ex500s look slightly different, but will their plastics still fit on the newer ex500s?

Thanks

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
doh, when i said the mounts are different, i thought he was talking about the front upper :(

but yeah, the rear fairing on an 89 is three piece. two sides and a rear piece. 94+ have just two side pieces, that wrap around into a tail section

·
Registered
404 Posts
I think you can modify them to fit if you're handy...
get 94+ fairings cut the pieces off that form the
center piece on 94+ and VOILA!!!

P.S. does that make sense?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hmmm.. looking at that '89 makes me wonder about my '91 and plastics posibilities there too. My plastics are a single piece nose, 2 sides, and a single tail. Any hopes of the Gen2 plastics on my '91? IIRC the Gen2 is '94+ right?

--Noob

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
=> alex182
-Yes 2nd gen is 94+

=> hollywood
- That could make sense, although I don't think the mounting tabs are there on the 94+.. You might have to resort to zip-ties to make the side panels hold to the bike (like I had to do since those tabs always break off :mad:)

·
Registered
722 Posts
dragknee said:
doh, when i said the mounts are different, i thought he was talking about the front upper :(

but yeah, the rear fairing on an 89 is three piece. two sides and a rear piece. 94+ have just two side pieces, that wrap around into a tail section

my '99 is 3 piece rear, 1 for each side, and a top "cap" piece.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I've looked at this and I'm fairly certain they will interchange. But you will need the brake light and seat to make it all fit right. But from what I can tell from looking at pictures, the frame mounts are the same on both gens.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Hasn't it also been said that the seat is different? If so you'd need a brake light and a seat.

Does the 2nd gen tail piece (between the sides) use the tab mounts that push in from the rear? And is it secured by the bolts through the handle? Just wondering if those aspects are the same.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
The handles seems interchangeable :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Nick D said:
Hasn't it also been said that the seat is different? If so you'd need a brake light and a seat.
damarble said:
But you will need the brake light and seat to make it all fit right
;)

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Nope, the handlebar can be removed while the plastics remain in place.

All you need is to get access to them by removing the seat.

·
Registered
74 Posts
So is there a supplier for G1 plastics that doesn't require I refinance the house? The previous owner took off the front turn signals and mounted flush-mount style... just not in the same holes. The gaping holes up front even whistle a little when the wind is blowing right...

I'm looking to either replace the nose, or have to boat-patch and sand it. I'd like to get new plastics all the way around so I can change the color while I'm at it. The pink pin-striping HAS to go!

Any advice?

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Get a 2nd mortgage ?

Seriously though, the only other guys that I know are Airtech, and a lot of peeps had bad experience with those guys...

You also have to craft all the brackets by yourself.

The other plan is to hit D-Bay.

Or you could fix it and paint it over, make it yours 8)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Looks like I'll have to fix it then, may as well since I want to re-paint it anyways. The pink.. dear GODS the pink! If I have one more person reccomend handle tassles or playing cards in the spokes...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts