Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
since i purchased my '90 about a year ago, it rarely gets into the middle part of the gauge, if it does its only when i'm sitting still. when the needle gets about 3/4 of the way through the middle part, the fan comes on and the bike cools down a bit. when i'm constantly riding above 25 mph or so, the temp stays at the very bottom of the middle range.

is that normal? it doesn't seem to me that it would be normal, but i haven't had any overheating symptoms, and the bike runs well. what it's doing reminds me of when someone removes the thermostat from a car, although i'm pretty sure i saw a thermostat in the bike when i was in there. i suppose it's possibly stuck open.

the other option i'm thinking is that it's not getting full voltage from the sensor, perhaps a partial connection. in any event i plan to check on just about everything when i'm in there for the valve adjustment in a couple hundred miles.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i don't have a lower fairing on mine currently due to in the stop in go traffic in philly the bike would get WAY to hot. now it stays right at the top of the cold section unless i come to a stop or if i'm really abusing the bike. my fan kicks on about 3/4's as well. i've only ever heard it come on once though

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok cool (literally), the temp does the same thing with or without the lower fairing (that is to say i never noticed a difference after i added it), but i'm NEVER in stop and go traffic with it, luckily. i've probably heard the fan come on 2 times in the year i've owned it... once was checking the bike out at home, idling in the driveway.

·
Registered
216 Posts
When I am moving the gauge read between say 25% and 50% with no fan. In traffic it gets to about 70% and the fan kicks on.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
ERAU944 said:
it rarely gets into the middle part of the gauge, if it does its only when i'm sitting still. when the needle gets about 3/4 of the way through the middle part, the fan comes on and the bike cools down a bit. when i'm constantly riding above 25 mph or so, the temp stays at the very bottom of the middle range.
Same here.

When I ride below 10*C I need to block the radiator with cardboard or else the engine get into operating temperature only after sitting still for at least 5 mins and the needle fall off chart as soon as I move the bike or if wind blows..

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
i ride in hot central fla, mine stays at 1/3 while moving and the fan kicks on at 1/2 if i stop for a bridge opening

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys, good deal! sounds like she's operating normally. it's weird to notice the difference between the early and late - the gauge on my R stays in the very middle of the temp range throughout the ride, and i haven't done enough sitting with the bike running to verify fan operation yet, but i plan on checking it soon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts