Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Edited to add:
Thread renamed to incorporate some “love” shown to the Mille R instead of starting a new thread.

To start this off, I ordered a set of insulated terminals from Amazon.

They’re 5/16 stainless steel studs set in plastic bases that can be mounted on almost any flat surface.
52628


Under the passenger seat/speed hump there is a cross brace that the seat bumpers rear on.
52629


I drilled two tiny pilot holes and screwed the terminals to the cross piece.
52630


Once mounted, I fabbed up some cables to go to the battery. To simplify how many connections I had directly to the battery, I relocated the pig tail for my charger to the new terminals.

52631


I used some 6 gauge cable, crimped on some eyelet fittings and heat shrink wrapped the junction with some weather proof sealed heat shrink tubing.
52632
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The point of the mod is to eliminate the need to remove the riders seat anytime the bike needs a jump.

It’s not a huge deal to remove, but is a right PITA to reinstall. Now it just takes a key to remove the passenger seat or the solo cowl cover to access remote terminals for jump starting.

A little Corrosion X on the terminals and my Aprilia is all buttoned up and ready to go
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Over in the Suspension and Tires section I detailed the replacement of the old Michelin PR3s with new Power 5s and the following 2 flat tires. Also, the replacement of the 190 section rear with a Power Supersport.

I’ll not elaborate further on that here. Rather detail the replacement of the clutch slave cylinder in the next post.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Last year when I replaced the tires I noted an issue with the clutch slave cylinder. It has given me head aches off and on since about 2 or 3 years into ownership.

Many others complained about their clutch fluid turning black almost the following day after a fluid flush and change.

I’ll admit, I don’t pay that close attention to my clutch fluid. As long as there’s some in the reservoir, and the clutch works, I’m not too fussed.

I’d noticed a small spot of fluid on the floor under the bike.....dime sized or so and gone in to investigate.

When I pulled the slave cylinder, it came apart in my hands. Decided it was about time that I did something about it. Got on the web and found that Bellisimoto out of Las Vegas carried a new Oberon slave cylinder but also a replacement billet adapter.

It isn’t like a Ducati where the clutch slave is exposed for viewing, so appearance wasn’t really all that important. Function was/is as well as any reduction in lever effort. The Oberon unit advertised as much as 20% reduction in effort at the lever.

Fine with me. It takes Popeye like forearms to muster the strength for repeated clutch actuation as it is. Add the shorty ASV levers and the result is a very high lever effort.

So, I ordered up a spanking new gold anodized slave cylinder and matching adapter. Took some time for the adapter to arrive but once it did, I made time to get out to the garage and install it.
54055

There you have it. Now, once the body work is back on, it’ll never see the light of day again. Well, until I change the oil anyway.

With reference to the claim of 20% effort reduction at the lever.....well not so much. I’d have been happy with some, but initially anyway I found zero. Seemed exactly the same as it was previously with the OEM slave cylinder.

After some use though, it seems less effort is required now than immediately after installation. I guess some break in time was required? IDK. Installing an EVR slave on my 996 brought an immediate difference in lever effort.

Like I already wrote, I’d have been happy with some reduction and now, I experience some. 20% worth? Hardly. Maybe 10% perceived reduction. Still requires Popeye forearms but at least now it feels a little easier than before.

I’d have gone with an EVR if they made both a cylinder and adapter as their stuff seems to always work as advertised. For now, I’m happy with the Oberon slave and adapter. Some reduction in effort is better than none.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Went out to the garage to work on project Supersport today. As I moved the Aprilia out of the way, I looked down and thought the chain looked a tad on the dry side.
54158

Sigh. More work that I hadn’t budgeted time for. Put it on a rear stand and got out my cleaning solution (mix of Marvel Mystery oil, WD40 and a few other cans of lube that “died”) and a rag to clean up the chain. Put on a shop glove and got to cleaning.

I index where I am in cleaning with the master link. Starting there insures I go all the way around the chain. I use it as a reference for when I start lubing too:
54159

Starting there, I worked my way around the chain, cleaning up all the dirt, dust and debris. Once clean, I got ready to lube using 80/140 synthetic gear oil:
54160

There, all tidied up and ready for lube. I also check the sprocket teeth for wear at this point and clean all the goo off them while I’m at it. As can be seen here all in good health with next to no wear:
54161

This sprocket has something like 25K miles on it and has lasted through about 3 chains. This is an OEM sprocket I put on after I found the 520 AFAM aluminum one it came with in pretty poor condition after just a few thousand miles. The 520 Regina chain went into the scrap bin at the same time.

Ever since, I’ve run 525 RK chains and matching OEM sprockets. I’m somewhere North of 32K on this bike now and I’ve never been gentle on the throttle or babied it in anyway. I just keep up with my chain tension and clean/lube as soon as it looks like the pic that started off this thread.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top