Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone! I recently got a lovely 2000 EX500 in a nice blue and I'm ready to start making her mine own! I have this current list that I'm working on getting done, are there any mods that would be good to do? I'm looking at Rearsets right now and just buying several on Amazon to test fit and then return (like trying on clothes lol), but are there any cool cosmetic mods to do?

Current Modlist:
  • Fairing painting (got a full lower fiberglass fairing that I need to match) - CURRENTLY BEING DONE
  • Fork refurb (the paint was half on and half stripped, just gotta put them back together) - CURRENTLY BEING DONE
  • Rearsets (I know there's not a lot of benefit, but I reeeeeeally like how they look and feel, and I wanna try and find a pair that has the levers mounted on them, hence why im looking around and test-fitting) - WOODCRAFTS OTW
  • FOG airbox mod (ty FOG ♥)
  • FOGBones (already ordered, ty again FOG ♥) - CURRENTLY BEING DONE
  • Headlight to a dual circle headlight
  • EBC/Galfer brake rotor swap + pad replacement
  • Rim powdercoating
  • Seat re-upholstering (swapping to a gripper cover and maybe a thicker seat cushion?)
  • New levers? (mine are a bit stripped and rusty)
  • Helmet lock relocation (Thanks Capt'n!!!)
Are there any that are a must have? I'm mostly gonna be a using it as a daily driver and I want it to be super duper clean.

Thanks in advance and as soon as the fairings get painted and come back I'll be posting pics!!

·
Registered
145 Posts
All Balls tapered steering stem bearings. Suspension upgrades would be at the top of my list as well. I would just make sure all components and in good working condition (bearings, levers, electronics, seals, oil, brakes & rotors, chain, tires, etc).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All Balls tapered steering stem bearings. Suspension upgrades would be at the top of my list as well. I would just make sure all components and in good working condition (bearings, levers, electronics, seals, oil, brakes & rotors, chain, tires, etc).
Got an All Balls on the way! And I've put over 500 miles on it in about 3 weeks so I'd say its working perfectly! What suspension upgrades would you recommend? Just cause I don't want to lift the rear too high with suspension + Fogbones

·
Registered
2009 Ninja 500R
30 Posts
Re: Rearsets... FOG sells them: Rear Set Footpeg Brackets

As for other mods, I quite like the relocation of one of the helmet locks to the rear grab bar (so that it's actually in a spot where it can be used...) and using the other helmet lock to hold an SAE lead for easy battery tender plug-in.

Handlebar risers also helped ergo a lot for commuting / longer rides, though I imagine they'd go against what the FOG bones and rearsets will accomplish.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Rearsets... FOG sells them: Rear Set Footpeg Brackets

As for other mods, I quite like the relocation of one of the helmet locks to the rear grab bar (so that it's actually in a spot where it can be used...) and using the other helmet lock to hold an SAE lead for easy battery tender plug-in.

Handlebar risers also helped ergo a lot for commuting / longer rides, though I imagine they'd go against what the FOG bones and rearsets will accomplish.
In regards to Rearsets, I was looking at some Fog brackets, but I scored a nice looking pair of Woodcrafts for <$110 so I had to lol

But that helmet lock relocation, that's something I'd be up for 10000%! I don't like my helmet sitting so close to the exhaust (bought the bike w/ delcevic cans on it already) but that bar seems like a perfect placement, where's the logistics of that?

And finally in regards to the risers, I find that the only thing hurting during long rides are my legs and ass LMAO hence the seat cushion mod question 😂😂😂

But I'm definitely adding the helmet lock thing to my list!

·
Registered
2009 Ninja 500R
30 Posts
In regards to Rearsets, I was looking at some Fog brackets, but I scored a nice looking pair of Woodcrafts for <$110 so I had to lol

But that helmet lock relocation, that's something I'd be up for 10000%! I don't like my helmet sitting so close to the exhaust (bought the bike w/ delcevic cans on it already) but that bar seems like a perfect placement, where's the logistics of that?

And finally in regards to the risers, I find that the only thing hurting during long rides are my legs and ass LMAO hence the seat cushion mod question 😂😂😂

But I'm definitely adding the helmet lock thing to my list!
Here's a link to an example: Did the helmet lock relocation mod.

The helmet locks are the same on both sides, and they're fastened using 92009-1305 which is an M5 screw.
I recommend relocating one of them to the right side of the grab bar (per that thread), as it looks much less clean mounted on the left side.
Drill + tap the hole, then use some Loctite to make sure it doesn't go anywhere.

·
Registered
2006 ninja EX500r
24 Posts
Strictly cosmetic but I love my new LED lights for the gauges. Very simple and cheap. Performance-wise I think I saw the biggest gains in suspension upgrades and I went the cheap route of cutting the front springs, spacers, heavier fork oil and then swapping the rear for a used Ninja 250 shock and spring ($50 and direct bolt-on). Have fun!
dash before after.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Strictly cosmetic but I love my new LED lights for the gauges. Very simple and cheap. Performance-wise I think I saw the biggest gains in suspension upgrades and I went the cheap route of cutting the front springs, spacers, heavier fork oil and then swapping the rear for a used Ninja 250 shock and spring ($50 and direct bolt-on). Have fun!
View attachment 53942
That does look super nice! The LEDs the previous owner put in are super dim, which is annoying, what brand did you get? Also, what fork oil did you put in? I'm about to throw mine back together and right now I have a bottle of 10w, but being a 5'10" female rider, I need all the suspension I can get 😂😂 and that rear shock swap I'll probably do after I see how the Fogbones affect it.

and don't worry about the having fun part, within the first 3 weeks I put 700+ miles on it and I'm so excited to put more on!

·
Registered
2006 ninja EX500r
24 Posts
I got them from superbrightleds.com
Probably can find them cheaper but I followed the links from a post here just to make it quick and easy.
I initially replaced my fork oil with 15wt.... And put drain plugs in the forks (see FOGs post on that) and since then I have tweaked it and it's probably around 12 or 13wt.
Here is another one I just finished. Fender elimination or tail tidy... Again I went cheap and it cost me $0 and I like it. I wish I had thought to take a good before pic but here is the after pic... I shortened the turn signals also.
IMG_20210406_174500.jpg IMG_20210406_174518.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts