Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Ninja 500 that sat up over last winter. The battery was dead and it would not start. I replaced the battery, put new spark plugs in it and started it. It ran for a little while very rough and at high RPM only. Took off the gas tank drained the gas and put new gas in it. Took off the carbs and cleaned them and also cleaned the air filter. Still it would not run.

Took it apart again - drained the gas, put new petcock, cleaned the spark plugs, removed the carbs and cleaned very well. Removed the mufflers. Checked to make sure spark plugs are sparking. Still will not run - it won't even start.

When I tried to start it I can smell the gas.

Any one have similar problems or suggestions... I just want my bike to run so I can ride.

·
Moderating: Fair & Just
7,393 Posts
Possible high fuel level in the carb(s), due to float needle(s) not seating. Check your fuel level using the clear tube method.

Connect a clear tube to the carb drain nipple, and run the tube up the side of the carb. Open up the drain screw and see how high the fuel rises.
Fuel level specs:
0.5mm above the float bowl mating surface, + or - 1mm.

Check both carbs.

·
Administrator
07 Ducati SS800 '95 Ducati 900SS/SP '19 Honda CBR650R
16,105 Posts
note doing this test, a gravity fed fuel source (at very least a full flowing PRIME on petcock) must be employed for accurate results.

I'm tempted to ask when did OP last check his valve clearances? As the swiss cheese like exhaust seats and valve faces tighten up in incredibly short periods, leading to......yup... difficult starting.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts