Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my ninja 500 out this morning, rode for about 35 mins just fine. On my lunch break, I went to take it back out for a spin, but when I shift into first and let off the clutch nothing happens, how should I go about fixing this thing? My first motorcycle, and I've only had it about 2 weeks, it has 8500 miles, fresh oil, a brand new petcock and I did alot of body work. Today was the first time I really took it out, and it was really disappointing/disheartening for my baby to do me like this. Thanks to all who can help :D

·
Registered
407 Posts
Something seems odd here. If you let out the clutch in gear the motorcycle should stall. Are you sure the motorcycle is definitely engaging first gear? Does the clutch lever have some slack when fully released; there should be no tension on the clutch cable when the clutch lever is fully out.

·
Registered
959 Posts
quick test bike on centre stand engine off select first gear (it's the only one you can) try and spin rear wheel see if the gears and chains are connected if the wheel spins (not in gear) something broke if the wheel locks the gear selector is broke.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The wheel spins in first gear (with the engine off) And when I start the bike and put it in first, the wheel spins as if it's in gear, just not with enough power to make it go with weight on it I guess

·
Registered
407 Posts
Its possible that the splines on the countershaft sprocket have stripped. Its easy to check by pulling the left side plastic cover off.
It's either the splines on the countershaft/front sprocket have stripped, or the clutch has fragged....hard to imagine how either of these could have occurred between rides, symptoms would typically occur over a period of time.

·
Registered
399 Posts
It's either the splines on the countershaft/front sprocket have stripped, or the clutch has fragged....hard to imagine how either of these could have occurred between rides, symptoms would typically occur over a period of time.
Also hard to imagine either could have occurred without making some pretty ominous noises.....

·
Registered
117 Posts
Are you certain the clutch cable is adjusted correctly or that it is releasing fully? There should be a couple of mm's loose play at the clutch lever - if the clutch cable is tight this won't help at all.
Maybe the mechanism is jammed or the cable has been routed incorrectly.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Are you certain the clutch cable is adjusted correctly or that it is releasing fully? There should be a couple of mm's loose play at the clutch lever - if the clutch cable is tight this won't help at all.
Maybe the mechanism is jammed or the cable has been routed incorrectly.
I asked the same question. The intriguing part is that this malody happened between rides, so it's not as though any work was done to cause this?

·
Registered
959 Posts
The wheel spins in first gear (with the engine off) And when I start the bike and put it in first, the wheel spins as if it's in gear, just not with enough power to make it go with weight on it I guess
are you sure it is going into gear the wheel will spin with the engine running in neutral (mine does) it's caused by gear drag. if the wheel spins (engine off) it's not selecting gear. as others have said the chance something broke since the last ride is remote. possible of course but remote just the same

1 - 13 of 13 Posts