Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was cruising around Oakland in Cali. I'm having a great time until I was getting off a freeway ramp to a kinda hard-up area and start going through a green light that was green as long as I saw it. then boom a black hatchback suv is running the red and we crashed at what could be up to 40 mph. I roll about 10 feet away and give the ppl a thumbs up to let em know they didn't just kill someone... and they took off on a hit&run. Thats the hood for ya. Bike is laying there and I'm thinking its totaled. Talked to the cops, decided not to press charges if they even found the person which is assume they didn't.
My ankle is jacked but somehow the bike and my body just have minor wear! Snapped the foot peg and bent brake lever, dented gas tank and think its gonna survive. What a badass machine.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Sweet Lord!!! So glad you're here to tell the story!!!

And, bullshit!!! Press charges!!! What person runs away after nearly killing someone?!?!

Heal up quickly!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hell I've chased after someone who hit and run a biker while I was driving around in my ram. Called the cops and parked them in when they stopped. If they find who hit you then press charges. You may not care but what if it was your girl that got hit, your brother, your dad? At the very least they should pay for your medical and damages.

·
Super Moderator
14,912 Posts
Hell I've chased after someone who hit and run a biker while I was driving around in my ram. Called the cops and parked them in when they stopped. If they find who hit you then press charges. You may not care but what if it was your girl that got hit, your brother, your dad? At the very least they should pay for your medical and damages.
or the victim of the NEXT incident they cause (who may not be as fortunate as you to survive) Provided this one is allowed to go unchecked. PROSECUTE!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah I was on the fence to prosecute. The one police seemed to want me too. I was just so happy to be walking and got my bike for a good price.
It was green for as long as I saw the light and was coming in from 100 or so feet away!

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
You need a GPS with a "ghetto avoid" feature.
Good that both of you are alive. You can prolly find a decent PDR shop to pull that dent out. The rest of the pieces on eBay, with patience.

Yes, they do seem to survive. Crashed my '87 three years ago at about the same speed, maybe 45ish into an embankment (medium long story). Bent the right bar, the little tab off the brake pedal return stop, and snapped the right front signal off. Shoulder-sized dent in the top of the tank. Forks are straight and everything else in place. It had a soft landing on my right leg :censored:

So, I spent an overnight in the trauma center with collarbone, glenoid (adjacent to shoulder joint) and 5 ribs broken into 12 pieces. Glued the signal back in, had a 9.95 NOS right bar in a box along with a spare brake pedal bracket. Until I have the dent pulled, I slapped on a $34 eBay 2007 tank in lustrous solar yellow to go along with the '87 pearl white.

Riding through cataracts at night. Bad idea.

·
Registered
148 Posts
You need a GPS with a "ghetto avoid" feature.
Good that both of you are alive. You can prolly find a decent PDR shop to pull that dent out. The rest of the pieces on eBay, with patience.

Yes, they do seem to survive. Crashed my '87 three years ago at about the same speed, maybe 45ish into an embankment (medium long story). Bent the right bar, the little tab off the brake pedal return stop, and snapped the right front signal off. Shoulder-sized dent in the top of the tank. Forks are straight and everything else in place. It had a soft landing on my right leg :censored:

So, I spent an overnight in the trauma center with collarbone, glenoid (adjacent to shoulder joint) and 5 ribs broken into 12 pieces. Glued the signal back in, had a 9.95 NOS right bar in a box along with a spare brake pedal bracket. Until I have the dent pulled, I slapped on a $34 eBay 2007 tank in lustrous solar yellow to go along with the '87 pearl white.

Riding through cataracts at night. Bad idea.
Mis-matched Frankenstein bikes are cool, thats just me though. I was shamed into painting one I owned though and have to admit I am happy I did, so it is a contradiction of sorts. Your lucky you walked away from that! I had someone turn left in front of me and they were more upset about how much damage the Nighthawk did to the side of his van (the bastard) I rode home in the flat bed wrecker that night and had a nightmare and knocked a speaker off the wall that was over my bed at the time. You deserve some money out of that deal, sometimes you don't realize your injuries for a few days until after the adrenaline subsides, see a good lawyer in your neck of the woods. Good Luck PEaCE

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Glad you survived the crash. I ride often down in the Bay Area proper and am hyper vigilant when riding in places like SF, Oakland, San Jose, going into the Maze, etc. Have had a number of close calls.

Anyways, whatever parts you need, I probably have. I live up outside of Santa Rosa, so not far away. Feel free to shoot me a message.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts