Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a new 2007 Ex a week ago. It was originally purchased new by a technical institute who used it to teach oil changes and tire rotations and sold last year with 3 miles on it to the gentleman I purchased it from. He got it to 45 miles just to keep it from sitting, he initially bought it for a family member to get into riding who turned it down and thus sold it to me instead. Good deal, He didn't hide the fact that some kind of wiring was weird because the neutral light would not turn off after putting it into gear until you released the clutch entirely.
I thought it was weird but didn't stop the bike from working in the slightest so I put it off for later. Riding her today the dash started to flicker on me and the bike died on me. I have no dash lights in the On position now and get nothing from the starter. The horn and brake lights do not respond either. The only thing that seems to work is turn signals. I'm terrible at electric but the fuses, connections to solenoid/battery all seem to check out. Is this possibly due to the odd wiring or could all this be explained by a dying battery ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got the battery checked out, functionally healthy but was in need of charging. Ill get a trickle for it but in the meantime if anyone has wisdom regarding the Nuetral indicator remaining lit after putting her into gear until releasing the clutch that would be some solid help. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The battery was not the problem. Still no dash lights. Nothing electrical seems to work but the turn signals. Even if I jump the solenoid it engages the starter but wont start. I remembered I tested the kill switch just before I rode the last time before it gave me problems so I figured the kill switch was gunky and stuck in the kill position. That was a big fat nope. Does this sound like a disconnect in the main harness somewhere or something more sinister ?

·
Registered
707 Posts
try the 30amp fuse on the starter relay it is the main feed wire (white) for the whole bike. one other point a bike that has been played with is a bike with issues.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found the culprit here on this beautiful mothers day. 5 minutes to fix albeit temporarily~ Still going to have to track down the neutral indicator light oddity.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts