Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Yorkie: Member since 2017 and over 500 posts

Moto007: member for less than a week and under 10 posts
hi guys. just for information purposes only I have been a member since 2014 but lost my login details and had to re register.
the above posts are pretty much along the lines of my own thinking. yes it's a nice bike it is worth the asking price. for me no it is a great bike no doubt but still 11 years old. not old enough to be a classic too old to be considered new if was still in it's packing case and not registered may be a different story.
but any potential buyer would have to consider the use it was bought for stick it in a warehouse and leave it another 10 or 15 years then take it to a classic auction like John h suggests ok. but to buy it ride put some miles on it. it is just another good condition 11 yo EX500. what is one of those worth in the US. I suspect not a lot owing to the number of members queuing up to buy it.
we all (well most of us) own ride and look after our bikes. they are old and require TLC that is what makes them fun.
if the seller gets the price he wants fine. if a buyer pays the price and is happy fine. no issues from me. there is no malice or hidden agendas in any of my answers just honest opinions.

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
For what it's worth, a used bike dealer near me sells all EX 500's that have 1000 miles or less for $3500. And 800 rpm's at idle is too low, it should be between 1200 and 1300.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thank you all for your comments, the bike was received from the store at that idle and I never thought much about it since my Suzuki GW250 was idling about the same.

After looking at the manual, I will adjust the idle accordingly.
717CACC0-960D-4468-8A4C-7AB76FA39CD1.jpeg

·
Registered
46 Posts
Here in the Northeast there have been a few 2009s for sale recently: 11,000 miles: $3,100, 2,700 miles: $3,850. One with 3,300 miles sold quickly for $2,500 and looked like it may have gone down on the right side and been repaired.

The 2009 MSRP was $5,499 - in 2020 dollars that's $6,571. I think $3,500 is totally reasonable but you may have to wait a little while for the right person. Best wishes finding a new owner!

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
I think there's a little point missing going on here, the EX/GPZ is never going to fall into the same categorie as one of Leno's Vincent's or BSA's or any of his other collectable machines which, might all be in rideable condition but I bet he dosent ride any of them day in/day out as his commuter bike,LOL.

The point is, there “are” people out there who are willing to pay the price to buy a low mileage bike “if” it's the bike they want. They may only put a hundred miles on it in a year, possibly riding to their local bike meet and back every couple of months but they would not buy it as an investment bike more of an occasional ride bike....although saying that, prices of good unmolested ones have risen considerably over the last few years, 1ST gens especially.

Someone I know who lives close to where I work, broke the auction record for a Japanese bike here in the UK a couple of years back. He paid £166000 (over 200000usd) for a CB750.

I spoke to him about a month after he got it and laughingly asked if he had it in a glass cage, he answered, “ No I was out on it last Sunday”

I also asked him why the hell he'd payed so much for it, over 4 times the auction estimate,

His answer, “ I wanted it and I was determined to get it, wasnt expecting to pay that much but somebody kept bidding so I just bid more until they stopped”

A bike (or anything else for that matter) is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Would I pay moto's asking price,? Probably not, I've already got 2 in my little collection, but, there will be someone, somewhere who is “if” it's what they want.

We all look at bikes differently, and,( as is right for us bikers) we all want a bargain,LOL.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Dear All,

Thank you for your interest in this bike. Today, 5/22/2020, this bike is officially sold!

I am not sure how to delete this post but if you are the Admin, pls delete this pod for me. Thks!

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
If I had the extra money and time to go to Chicago, I would have been all over that bike. ;)

21 - 28 of 28 Posts