Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the forum and don't know much about these engines but I have one in a buggy I made. It gets really hot really quickly and I had a few questions. Does the reservoir have to be above the radiator? Should I upgrade to a civic radiator due to the increase in weight? Any suggestions appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
19,309 Posts
the location of the reservoir /expansion tank is free gravity has no function, it operates on thermal expanxion.
Check to be sure your water pump is working.
Look for bubbles in the coolant on throttle blipping. you may have a blown head gasket, are you loosing coolant?

FOG

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply! When I blipped the throttle the coolant started to rise towards the cap so I quickly shutoff the engine. I have the radiator above the cap which might be the problem. Never seen a cap that's not on the rad itself. Also it loses small amounts of coolant. Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
19,309 Posts
That won’t affect the function of the Closed system. But gravity being what it is....

obviouslly to observe air bubbles the cap has to be at the highest point of the system

fog

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That won’t affect the function of the Closed system. But gravity being what it is....

obviouslly to observe air bubbles the cap has to be at the highest point of the system

fog
okay so I did a test and the impeller is definitely working the more throttle the higher the flow but for some reason my rad mount bolt wanted to give me trouble its just free spinning and not backing out even after i applied a screw driver on the back for pressure. So i checked with the rad hose about 1 inch taller than the cap I was able to observe some bubbles however. Thinking this has to be the head gasket what do you think?

·
Registered
19,309 Posts
Very common read about it in the how too section lapping the head

fog

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pretty much Finished with the job just have to re torque head bolts. After reading some of the posts here it seems as though there is a lack of knowledge about where to find manuals/ instructionals so I will share some that I found helpful in addition to fog's advice. (if fog says to do it one way do it that way not the way of the manual). Here is a free PDF of the service manual.
MANUAL

And here is a Video Series of someone completely tearing down this engine and putting it back together if you need an additional resource. ** he doesn't do everything perfectly but it's still useful if you are still stumped after the manual**
TEARDOWN/REASSEMBLY PLAYLIST

Thanks fog for all the help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts