Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been wanting a mini moto for a while now and Monday all thing go according to plan I'll be picking up a 2019 Honda Monkey. While I much prefer a 2nd gen grom or z125 pro personally been trying to get the wife into bikes and while at the dealer windowshopping she saw the monkey in the corner and said, "I'd ride one of those It's so stinking cute". She wanted it in banana yellow but alas were getting a red one. No yellows to be had nearby. So till she decides she really wants to learn daddy has a new toy. grin

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had an original when I was a kid, 1969 yellow and silver hardtail. That was one fun and tough little machine.
Weren't they only 50cc back then? Idk what kinda minibike my mom had when I was a kid or the displacement but it would haul butt. Course everything over 12mph is hauling butt at that age.

·
Premium Member
3,767 Posts
Weren't they only 50cc back then? Idk what kinda minibike my mom had when I was a kid or the displacement but it would haul butt. Course everything over 12mph is hauling butt at that age.

Yes, 50cc, three speed, automatic clutch. I was a pipsqueak and if I wound it out in first and powershifted into second I could hang a wheelie across my backyard. I took that thing on some seriously rugged trails, submerged it in a water crossing, broke the frame in two, but never could hurt that little drive train.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I like the look of the Monkey better than the Grom. The retro look matches the original.

Reactions: JBlackwell1989

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like the look of the Monkey better than the Grom. The retro look matches the original.
It is pretty slick. Sitting on it at the dealer I had 2nd thoughts about the seat cause it's so wide compared to the ex which is what I'm used to. Corben makes a nice saddle for the monkey too but Corben makes nice saddles for damn near everything lol.

·
Registered
842 Posts
One of my old Army buddy's used to ride a Vulcan but messed his back up. He recently retired and bought one of those Monkey's and loves it! He only rides it to his "retirement job" and does some runs to the store on it but he said, due to his back issues this thing will take care of his motorcycle itch!
(After seeing my Honda he's wanting to try something back in the full-size department!)

·
Registered
117 Posts
I was at a bikers meeting spot a few years ago - Matlock Bath in the UK - and about 50 riders turned up on these things. It was hilarious seeing full grown men and women riding these on the road in a large formation. I say formation in the loosest form as it was more like organised chaos.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Only about 7 miles on it so far but I can tell this lil thing is gonna be fun. Cost me under 3 bucks to fill up with premium.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
That thing has all sorts of retro cool going for it. Reminds me of the z50 Christmas Special I rode for a summer at my uncle's winery when I was 15. That was a 4 speed centrifugal clutch and it would seriously scoot. I think my uncle managed 40+ mph on it once upon a time. I remember watching my brother rev it out in 1st, slam it into second while barely lifting and popped a sky high wheelie. I'm amazed to this day he held it and didn't go down.

Now I want one of those Monkey's!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts