Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... I just bought a '06 500r and I'm picking it up tomorrow. I've been on a '94 EX250 for the past year and was just wondering are they pretty much the same bike other then the displacement? The only thing I noticed that I wasn't too happy about was why the kickstand is in such an awkward location. IE too far forward. Who knows... Anyways, here she is:

http://www.hebelers.com/sales-detail.asp?VehicleID=4999

Cheers!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I used to own an EX250 and besides the obvious displacement/power advantage of the 500 I've found the ergonomics to be much better for my 6' frame. It's also a more aggressive riding position. I felt as though I was riding a standard when riding the 250 versus a sport bike.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
just from what I've seen and my observations from sitting on the two, they're definately quite different bikes. the 500 is WAY more aggressively styled than the 250 in terms of seating and performance. the biggest difference is that the 250 is just an all around tiny bike by comparison.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
i just bought an '04 250. not sure if i'm going to fix it and flip it or keep it, but one thing's for sure.. it's SLOW! maybe the extra ponies spoiled me, but dang - i feel like i could run faster! anyhow, it's in good shape, and it appears to be similar, but i can tell there are many many differences between the two. it looks like everything's more easily accessible on the 500 to start with. i'll let you know how different the valve adjustment procedures are when i tackle both of them in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
From what I've read... to get some GO from the 250 you really have to keep it in it's high rev power band.

·
Registered
1997 Yamaha Seca II XJ600
547 Posts
Well, my '89 EX250 Ninja runs pretty good and I'm far from being lightweight :eek: @ 5'11" & ~250lbs. However you're right, there is a noticeable power difference/increase shifting at 7k and above. I live on a small farm out in the country and drive 30 miles or so into town for work and really enjoy the curves, hills, etc on my commute. I bought this bike after riding an old '75 KZ400 for several years.
Tony

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
well, here's my inital impression: the 250 FEELS much lighter and a bit more nimble than the 500. the 500 is very nimble, but the 250 takes it to another level. the 250 is definitely a good deal slower, but is no slouch once you're in the powerband. it's definitely a fun bike to ride, and i think it is a little quieter, since the windshield is smaller and doesn't push the wind up into your neck/head. the style is very similar, and the ergonomics are good, although i'm having to work to find the sidestand. also, i think the rear brake pedal got pushed in a bit, but i pulled it out so i'm not having trouble finding that either. the exhaust on the 250 sounds good, and i like the black anodized cans. i am NOT a fan of chrome at all. i feel like i have to rev the piss out of it to get anything, though, but the 500 you'll find is very responsive even at lower rpms. i don't think i'd get anything bigger than a 500, i just don't need to go that fast, and i'll never even use the power of the 500 to its fullest. that said, i may just turn my EX into a track bike. i'm getting the itch to go play.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Funny you should mention the kickstand. I normally put the stand down while on the bike, and my foot kept pawing around for it. Then I realized how far foward it is, but now I am more used to it.

I think the 250 makes a great first bike. I have a friend that has had one for years and rides all over the East Coast with it. She is under five feet tall and for her it is a perfect bike. Plus, she doesn't care about going 180mph. She cruises along on the Jersey turnpike at 70mph all day, though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I love the 250. Cheap, reliable, and if you rev it high enough it'll move.

I'm still thinking about a 500 as a touring bike though. I honesty think those two will be all I need.

·
Registered
1997 Yamaha Seca II XJ600
547 Posts
Yea, I was looking for a EX500 when this deal on the 250 came up. So I grabbed that instead and then sold my KZ400 soon afterwards. Of course, a deal on an 89 or 90 EX500 then showed up about a month later! arrrrrgggg.... I would like the more room on a 500, I've sat on them in the dealer's showroom, seems like it fits better and I'm leaned over a bit more on the 500. I kinda like the gas mileage I get with my 250 though, 60-65 mpg or so. Then again others have reported similar gas mileage with their 500s and 650s too. I'll have to keep an eye open for a 500 though, and then transfer my rear shock, scottoiler, etc. to the 500.
Tony

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
yes, i routinely get 60 mpg on my EX (still haven't ridden the R enough to tell you, but i can guess that i'll get similar), and when it gets dry again here, i'm banking that i'll easily get 75 on the 250. my friend has an '06 250, and says he gets 70, but he's got a heavy throttle hand. i like the seating position on both, the 500 definitely a little sportier/more agressive.

i really want to do a long distance ride, probably on the 250, but that may have to wait until sometime this winter when the weather calms down a bit.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
ERAU944 said:
i really want to do a long distance ride, probably on the 250, but that may have to wait until sometime this winter when the weather calms down a bit.
That last line totally threw me.
Winter riding isn't the best here in Nebraska. 8)

·
Registered
6 Posts
My wife and I have the distinct advantage of owning both an ex250 and a 500r. My first comment to someone looking at both is "how big are you?" My wife is 5'4" 125lbs and while she can center my 500, she is on the balls of her feet. I am 6'1" 210lbs and her 250 feels kinda like a tote gote to me..lol. Second question would be, "whats your motivation?" I get 53 mpg out of my 500 and I do twist the throttle every now and then. She gets in the mid 60's. I ride 65 miles a day, she rides 3. The 250 is very noticeably smaller. Smaller wheels narrower seat, lower seat height.

Notice I haven't said anything about powere yet. That's because her 250 can boogie when you need it to, but you have to stay in the power band. If you let the revs down coming into a curve, your most likely going to need to downshift once you leave it. The 250 weighs about 80 lbs less and you can tell. It is pretty nimble, in fact I have wider chicken strips on my 500r than she does..lol

Anyway, both are fun, just different.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts