Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a 2nd gen muffler/pipes from a Ex500 /94 fit on my first gen /87 bike?

I am trying to replace the Muzzy that I received with this bike as its way too loud. The bike can be heard from 3 blocks away. Also a question about the fit of the pipe header to the bike. Is it a just a pressed on fit, is there supposed to be a gasket. I am looking at how it is attached on my bike currently and the clamps are about an 1/2 inch away from the engine. I would expect it to be flush with it. It seems that the pipe is firm on there, and I can't hear any noise from the front.

If the 2nd pipes do fit, I may have a muzzy for sale.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After looking at RonAyers site, it looks like the 94 part number is the same as the 87, is it safe to say that it is identical then.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You are correct. Exhaust mounting is the same. You should probably get a pair of exhaust gaskests and swap them out when you put the new pipe on. They arent that much($5-7 ea), then you wont have to worry about an exhaust leak.

What kinda shape is the muzzy in? How much you looking for and where are you?

Dan

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. Perhaps the fit isn't quite right on it after all if a gasket is to be wedged between the clamp and the engine. A gasket on it in its current fitting position would be uselessly sliding freely. The bolts are capped so I didnt think they would go much tighter. I will take a closer look on the weekend and try re-fitting it.

I am located in Toronto, Canada. I am thinking $200 but you guys will be a better judge at the value than I when you see the pics/video. It will have to wait until after I receive the stock mufflers before I consider selling but I will send you a PM first if and when I post it in the classifieds section if your still interested.

I painted the pipe with black heatproof paint last weekend to clean it up, and the steel/chrome? cans will need to be polished a bit. Its not in perfect condition but not in bad shape either. I was starting to question if the previous owner removed the baffles inside since this thing is so loud. Again, when I have time to take photos and a video clip on the weekend perhaps you will know right away. This is my first bike so I don't have much to compare to.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
inquiztr said:
After looking at RonAyers site, it looks like the 94 part number is the same as the 87, is it safe to say that it is identical then.
nope, parts numbers can be the same and the actual parts be different... I've been had on the headlight before :-\

But the cans fit, they are the same :)

·
Registered
722 Posts
inquiztr said:
Thanks for the advice. Perhaps the fit isn't quite right on it after all if a gasket is to be wedged between the clamp and the engine. A gasket on it in its current fitting position would be uselessly sliding freely. The bolts are capped so I didnt think they would go much tighter. I will take a closer look on the weekend and try re-fitting it.

I am located in Toronto, Canada. I am thinking $200 but you guys will be a better judge at the value than I when you see the pics/video. It will have to wait until after I receive the stock mufflers before I consider selling but I will send you a PM first if and when I post it in the classifieds section if your still interested.

I painted the pipe with black heatproof paint last weekend to clean it up, and the steel/chrome? cans will need to be polished a bit. Its not in perfect condition but not in bad shape either. I was starting to question if the previous owner removed the baffles inside since this thing is so loud. Again, when I have time to take photos and a video clip on the weekend perhaps you will know right away. This is my first bike so I don't have much to compare to.
I believe someone wanted to trade their stock cans for a 2-1 system.

·
Registered
10 Posts
There should be a thin copper gasket that goes between the 'lip' of the pipe itselfe and the head. This is slightly crushed by the pipe to create a seal. When people take the pipe off some times they fall out and nobody sees it. It can also get stuck onto the head and still be ther but look like part of the head casting.

With an old bike like yours you should check to see if the gasket is there, and if it is stuck to the head I would carefully pop it off with a screwdriver and replace it. Then you wont have to worry about it.

Look on ron ayers under mufflers and you'll see the gasket as #11009B, lists for $3.32ea.

If you cant get the exhaust to tighten down, as it sounds from your description, with the stupid acorn nuts, you can use normal 6mm hex nuts and snug it down. But the reason may be lack of gasket.

Good luck,

Dan

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
Make your own out of 1/8 refrigeration tube.

FOG

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
FOG said:
Make your own out of 1/8 refrigeration tube.

FOG
How exact do you have to be with that and not get an exhaust leak? Interesting substitution, wish we'd have known that when we were cutting a car gasket in half with a band saw :p.

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
It's simple, as a racer that pulled the engine as often as some change socks I got sick of buying th $7 dollar gaskets.

I found a wooden dowel the right size (OK I made one). Then wound 10 or so turns of refregeration tubing on that. then I sawed them all loose into rings. After deburring the cuts I just reformed them by hand to make tight circles with the cut gap closed. Then when you clamp down the header on the tube it deforms and closes the gap perfectlly. it even works on my old many times crashed bent to hell header with out leaks.

FOG

1 - 11 of 11 Posts