Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I'm new here. Just got my first bike and it's 2000 ninja 500R with 3,200 miles for $700. Previous owner dropped it 2 years ago and stopped riding. Need upper and lower fairings and headlight. Took the old gas out and put new one. Cleaned the air filter and checked spark plugs. We were able to start it yesterday and it ran crappy in the beginning but after we added sea foam to the gas to clean carbs it runs smooth. Problem I have is I can not get idle below 3 k. I played with idle adjustment screw and also little screw that has spring on it. It is located next to the one of the cables on carbs and was able to get it down but didn't last longer that 15 min and it went up again. What should I check? Also I have two hoses coming under seat next to the battery. One is coming from gas tank and other(clear) is coming from carbs. Both of them are just hanging there next to battery. There is hose that is located on the side of the battery and runs to underneath of bike. Do I have to connect any of those together or not? Thank you very much for taking time.

Regards, Damir

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
You have been Mucking with the Syncronization screw. the Idle adjustment is the black knob under the center of the carbs facing down and backwards.
Now that you have throughlly screwed up the sync you will have further probles till you get it close again. with the engine off adjust the screw with the spring till you see the two stop screws just touch the base at about the same time.the raise them both a tiny bit with the "Idle" adjustment. Then start the enginews and adjust the Idle .
ASAP get the carbs Synced with a Manometer.

FOG

·
Registered
221 Posts
With regard to the hoses you mention, they are meant to hang down just the way they are.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. I'll go and try to put it back. How do I get carbs synced? Can I do it or have to take it to a shop? Thanx for help.

Regards, Damir

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just tried to readjust sync screw. I'm not sure which two stop screws you talking about. I don'y think I see them. Would you please tell me their location. I just unscrewed sync screw 3 turns because it was screwed all the way down. I tried to start bike and it won't stay running. It will run for about 5-10 seconds on left cylinder before it stops. Yesterday was running fine with only problem high idle. Is it possible that I've damaged the engine by running it with sync screw being screwed all the way in. What does sync screw do anyway???
Sorry for all these questins. I'm just trying to learn something.
Regards, Damir

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
No you haven't damaged your engine. You've just managed to shut off one of the carbs. The Sync Screw is the one that goes through the spring. and it purpose is to get bothe carbs opening evenly. Look closley at the linkage between the two carbs as you move the hand throttle. both carb shafte should move at the same time and the same amount. Turn the Sync screw to get this to happen as closley as you can. Then adjust the black Knob to get the correct Idle.

FOG

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll go and try that. Just removed spark plug on cylinder that is not running and plug was wet. There is gas in cyl but it doesnt fire.?????
Sir,is there any phone # I can call you.
Thanx

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just checked spark plugs. They look brand new but one on dead cylinder is giving third of the spark on cyl than runs. Not much spark at all and it's orange color. I'll go and get new plugs and we'll see. I'll keep you posted.
Thanx
Regards, Damir

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Changed spark plugs. It is running now. Still idle high, lower than before(now 2000 rpm).Will take it somewhere to have carbs synced and will go from there.Thanx for help

regards, Damir

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Took the carbs apart today, cleaned them and it's running much better. Idle is down to 1300 rpm. Still have to take it to shop to adjust sync screw( :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:) and check mixture.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts