Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had my bike parked in the school parking lot since tuesday. I walked by it today and it wasn't where I left it. Thinking it had been stolen, I went over and found it tipped over in the grass between parking rows. I guess someone really wanted my parking spot... ***holes.

Anyway, I called the university police and filed a report, but since the bike feel in mud with its cover on, nothing was visibly damaged. Then I tried to start it up, and it did so grudgingly, as it was only firing on one cylinder. Then it promptly died. I realized the choke wasn't on, and tried again. It started up and went to 3k rpm, lower than the usual 3.5-4k. I think it was still only firing on one cylinder. I don't know how long it was lying on its side, but it was somewhere between 6 hours to 1 and a half days.

I powerwalked it to another parking spot once the report was filed and the officer had left. I looked back once it was in the spot (but still running), and white smoke was coming from the exhaust pipes. I turned off the choke, but the white smoke was still there, so I hit the killswitch, locked it back up, and went to class 30 minutes late.

So, can anyone tell me what happens to en engine that's been lying sideways for hours, and how to fix it?

Thanks.

S

·
0 Posts
When it tips over on it side the float bowls can move around dumping fuel into the cylinder and flooding it. White smoke it the one cylinder not firing, probably smells like straight gas 10 feet away from the bike. Fix....Run the bike dry with gas off, Throw in new plugs, then you may or may not have to take apart the carbs to make sure the float bowl plunger/needle is seated properly.

·
Registered
722 Posts
oil may have passed the piston rings and entered the cylinder? pull the plugs and see what they look like, check the oil level, check the coolant. smoke is an oil problem, white smoke is usually what it looks like when headgasket goes out, or so it is in cars.

oh and this may be better in the troubleshooting section.

·
Registered
549 Posts
If it was over for a while, oil may have leaked in where it shouldn't be(FOG or someone could tell you exactly where, I don't know this engine well enough. But into the cylinder causing smoke.

Sorry, ^ posted while I was typing.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Left over that long you surely got a little oil up in the engine. I laid down dad's f4 once (kickstand wasn't stable, it slid down my leg and set down on the ground softly). It was only down for about 2 seconds and when I picked it back up it smoked a little until it burnt the oil back out. If it continues to fire on only one cylinder then as said above you'll probably need to replace at least one plug. Check your oil, just as a "just in case" move, in case somehow you lost enough into the cylinders or into the grass that it's low now.

Are there any security cameras or anything, maybe a witness or two? Good gravy I'd be pissed beyond all belief, I'd want to give someone a serious tail rip about even touching my bike, let alone moving it. Then if you can figure out who did it you can have their car towed by someone who can ding and scratch it up for you :).

·
Registered
308 Posts
that sucks to hear dude, i had somewhat of a similar experience. I keep my bike disc and cable locked to a pipe right up against the outside of my apt. upon returning home one evening after work (took the truck) i noticed my bike looked funny. the closer i get, i notice my bike is leaning AGAINST the wall. either someone tried to move it, or some snotnose kid jumped on it. either way they got it off the center stand and just let it there to fall back against the wall. scuffed the hell outta my mirror but luckily the pipe missed my gas tank because the mirror and handlebars stuck out enough. i still get pissed thinking about it!

you just got fluids mixed more than likley. be sure and change out your oil, running it with gas in the crankcase is dangerous as well as detremental.

good luck with finding out whoever did it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts