Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately here in MD it hasn't been too warm. This last Saturday it came up to about 60s, so I got the bike out and went for a ride to my buddy's house. I drove a good 75 miles to get there on the 2000 500R. Stopped at my friend's house, we took his car to get some parts to fix up his exhaust (30 minutes). After I got back we started the bike up to go for a ride. Here's the twist...about 8 miles into my ride, the bike starts bucking and stalls while riding a steady 60 mph. I dropped the clutch to get it back up and running, it cut back on then right back off shortly thereafter. I had to pull over and we let it sit for a minute then gave it a nice push-start. Once it started up (the 4th push) I let it idle for a good 15 minutes, then went to ride back to his house. It stalled a couple miles up the road. After that we couldn't get the bike started (even with a jump from his car) and I ended up walking it 4-miles to get it back to his house.

Does any one know what may have cause this. I was thinking the regulator is not charging the battery and it is completely dead. From what I understand though, once the bike is started it doesn't require the battery to keep running (a friend's theory). Any help would be appreciated as I don't want to waste too much money troubleshooting and I can't transport it to a shop without getting it towed. I can work on the bike myself, I just need to know where to start.

Sorry so long, just trying to get as much detail as possible.

Thanks in advance,

- Denis R

·
Registered
200 Posts
just a silly ? but did you check the fuel... you do have fuel right?.. Not trying to call you dumb.. but I had a friend that this happened to... not sure it would be though.. since you were saying about having to try to jump it

better let some of the more experianced mech's on here help ya

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just to answer the question, yes, I had about a half tank in there. I hadn't even switched to reserve yet.

- Denis R

·
Registered
200 Posts
I had a similar problem in my old car.. a couple of years ago now that i reallly read your problem... ended up needing a new alternator.. but had to buy a new battery just to get me to the shop... wasn't paying the 150 for a tow.. battery at Walmart...35 bucks

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I hope you know you are a real man pushing that bike uphill in the snow barefooted both ways ! Wait , thats what my parents told me they did when they had o walk to school (liars).
;D

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
RavageVJS2D said:
once the bike is started it doesn't require the battery to keep running (a friend's theory).
Your friend is right.

When it was idling fine, did you try to rev the engine a bit ?

Do you have a fuel filter installed ?

Me thinks that you might have stuff clogging the fuel lines, letting enough fuel for idle but not enough to haul.

checking the battery voltage wouldn't hurt either ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did ride it all the way down from Baltimore previously. I had been revving it up during idle to see if it would cut off and nothing happened. When riding though, that's where everything went downhill. So if I'm riding and the battery dies, would it cut my bike off? I haven't had time to look at the bike since it got home last weekend, it's snowing now and very cold.

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
You have failed to explain what your problem is, No fuel , or no electrical power. If you battery went dead while riding that has numerous causes. And of course no fuel does too but you need to find out which.

FOG

·
Registered
440 Posts
If it's been sitting for a while as a quick check maybe you want to open the carb bowl drains and see what comes out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I plan on troubleshooting more this weekend now that it's getting warmer. I am confused about it cutting off after such a long ride already. I will throw the battery on the charger overnight today, then try to run the bike from the fresh battery tomorrow and get back with some information.

Thanks for everyones help (minus Maverick),

- Denis R

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Do you have a multimeter or a volt meter ? Try to measure out the voltage before putting it on the charger

·
Registered
404 Posts
Could this be as simple as a short somewhere? Also, if the thing that charges
the battery while driving is busted, the battery will not recharge and just keeps
on draining...take it to the shop.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My bike did about the same thing last summer and it turned out to be the battery. It took a while to figure out that the battery was the problem,because I would put a multimeter on the battery and it said 12.67 volts. I ended up checking the battery 3 different times and it still said the same thing, but as soon as I turned the key to the on position and took a reading of the battery it was right around 8-9 volts. Turned out the battery had a dead cell in it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
maverick9611 said:
sounds like trash
I think what he mean't was foreign material in your fuel system, you know like garbage plugging up your carbs. Very common complaint with these bikes, which is why someone asked if you are running a fuel filter.

Good luck with the bike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Status update -

1 - Fully charged battery (reading 12v, turned key and still reading 12v), everything turns like it's trying to start.

2 - Finally got some fuel back in the tank (it was low) but still no available. In the meantime (before the fuel) I took the tank off, removed the petcock assembly and made sure nothing was clogging it up.

3 - I went to push start it again and I can't get anything to happen.

So any suggestions from this point? It's starting to warm up and I can't ride!

Thanks in advance,

- Denis R

·
Registered
270 Posts
Take your volt meter and check the out put of the stator at idel it should be around 50 v then check the out put of the regulator needs to be over 12 v If you cant get it started give it some carb cleaner and try firing it my bike is doing the very same thing right now and mine turned out to be a bad voltage regulator.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay I was waiting for it to get to the point where some one mentioned the carbs. What's the best way to get to them in order to spray some carb cleaner. That part of the bike is new territory for me. I'm not scared to do it, just need an understanding. I have 3 books (Clymer, and the 2 factory manuals). If anyone else has them, they might know how useless they are. I'm used to the Clymer and Haynes for cars and which are so much better.

I definitely can't get it to start right now.

- Denis R

1 - 20 of 23 Posts