Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,458 Posts
I can't testify as to the thousand of air box ideas you may think of as my (Fog's air box) was stumbled upon during a dyno run. and I did not test any other
my apologies for being wrong on this, I was sure I had read (years ago) that the 1in hole was carefully arrived at so as (with the K&N filter) it gave just the right amount of extra air to weaken the high range mixture without affecting the rest.
this assumes other size holes were tried and rejected. for it to be an accident seem incredible for someone with so much knowledge of the bikes workings guess there is a lesson there for us all (give it a try it may work) LOL.
 

·
Fast Old Guy
Joined
·
20,022 Posts
The way it went was, I was messing with the side covers of the air box while the bike was on the dyno and noticed a improvement in the HP when one of the covers was dislodged. The hole size tests were to duplicate what was witnessed with the improperly fitted cover.

FOG
 
  • Like
Reactions: auburn and bpe

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks guys I really do appreciate the responses, your comments definitely make more sense now. As for my project it is purely for fun and the challenge. I am not and will never claim to be fast on a track and that’s not this bikes purpose. To explain more, I’m an engineering major and would like to eventually enter the automotive sector and this project is helping me learn about tons of different techniques and design principles. My bike is a passion project and I love the 500 platform, it feels like a great balance between performance, size, and usability. Again I appreciate the responses and hope I can pick your brains more in the future
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Ok update time, many weeks ago at this point I ordered a custom aluminum rear sprocket. I ended up going with a 428 sized chain as it was just a bit stronger then the 420s I was looking at. Strongest 420 chain I found had a max tensile strength of 5000pound/feet. The 428 chain I went with is just above that at 5800lbs/ft. A good 520 chain is around 8540lbs/ft. How ever considering a mordern Yamaha r1 makes 4 times the horse power and 2 times as much torque and also runs a 520 chain I’m not really worried about a 428 chain braking even under hard acceleration. I digress I kept sprocket tooth number the same for the rear though the front sprocket I had to bump up one tooth to 17. In was a pain in the a$$ to source a front sprocket I could make work. I found one that I was able to mill down to the correct thickness and add through bolts to, so the stock locking collar can still be used to retain the sprocket. More info and pictures to come soon as well as a full write up as to what all I have done to my bike. The 428 conversion shaved of 2 lbs and a few ounces which is nothing to scoff at considering this is both rotating mass and most of it is unsprung mass. Also FOG after reading up on unsprung mass ratios I am planning out mods for next year which I’m hoping will include, carbon dog bones. Titanium or aluminum sleeves for the suspension setup and well as the same treatment for the bolts, a lighter fiberglass spring, lighter front and rear calipers and caliper brackets. I’ve done enough for this season and just want to enjoy riding my bike :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

write up posted with more info to come in the following days
 
21 - 26 of 26 Posts
Top