Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright don't know who read my introduction.. but my girlfriend sat on the Kawi EX500 the other day and has seemed to fall in love with it..

so well i do alot of highway riding including to her parents house what is 200 miles away. each way.. i know the 500ex is a comfy bike.. but how will it be vibration wise and all at 80mph?

also once she has been riding for a bit we plan on doing some traveling while not in school and work.. so... how will it hold up as a sport touring bike..

i am probally going to be on my 92 FZR600 for touring.. its already has a corbin and all so i am all good but i am trying to figure out if the EX500 will be able to hold up to lets say a 4000 mile trip over the course of lets say 2 weeks?

of course a oil change would be in order but yea..

thanks alot guys..

·
Registered
150 Posts
I use my ex for 99% freeway, 70-80mph, 100 miles per day. I installed handlebar risers and a laminar lip windshield extension. The laminar lip dramatically improved the highway comfort and wind stability.

The bike will definitely be able to handle life as a sport tourer.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Almost ALL my riding was in the 80 mph range, for literally a full tank of gas at a time. the bike took it well and I was never uncomfortable. after I put a new front tire on, it got even better though.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
They will comfortably cruise at 85 all day long. They'll get to 100 OK and top out out at 115 or if you've got enough room to hold it open long enough, 120.

At highway speeds the balance shaft and rubber engine mounts do the job. Actually, over 3,000 RPM is smooth and you'll be running it up there anyway so it's not a problem. I was quite surprised at this when we got our first one, fully expecting that as a vertical twin it would be very buzzy. It's not.

I'm a long time rider including many highway trips on everything from old Harleys, Gold Wings, and CBR-1000F. About a dozen of those were cross-country. I wouldn't hesitate to take one of these cross-country. I wouldn't want anything less but these will do it fine. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I would recommend a Sargent or Corbin seat. It's by far the best upgrade.

·
Registered
72 Posts
woody said:
alright don't know who read my introduction.. but my girlfriend sat on the Kawi EX500 the other day and has seemed to fall in love with it..

so well i do alot of highway riding including to her parents house what is 200 miles away. each way.. i know the 500ex is a comfy bike.. but how will it be vibration wise and all at 80mph?

also once she has been riding for a bit we plan on doing some traveling while not in school and work.. so... how will it hold up as a sport touring bike..

i am probally going to be on my 92 FZR600 for touring.. its already has a corbin and all so i am all good but i am trying to figure out if the EX500 will be able to hold up to lets say a 4000 mile trip over the course of lets say 2 weeks?

of course a oil change would be in order but yea..

thanks alot guys..
Tell her to get one of these things adopted
Vista throttle lock - helps me with long hauls!

·
Registered
530 Posts
I'm taking mine to CA toward the middle of May. I would also suggest looking into a Corbin for longer hauls. Made a huge difference in comfort for me.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Super Sneaky Steve said:
Foam grips? That's not cool! :-\
I got my '05 used & it has these big foam grips on them.
They are too big for me & I have long hands.
Anyone have a picture of stock grips.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Was he taking the pic of the cruise control or the foam grip? I think the cruise control would be great for trips.....

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Well that a throttle lock , not exactly a cuise control. It will give your right wrist a little break to reach into a pocket or scratch your nose, but the ex is so torque poor the speed will vary all over the place at any given throttle setting. I made one for my VFR and found it to be more of a PIA than it was worth.

FOG

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Throttle lock , gell grips , heavy bar ends , Corbins seat , and touring windshield . Minus luggage , thats about all you'll need .

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
TDK said:
Was he taking the pic of the cruise control or the foam grip? I think the cruise control would be great for trips.....
Well... the grips were in the picture so we asked.
I had a throttle lock on my old '70 Yamaha 500 & did a lot of commuting up and down I-5, Longview to Bellingham (WA). It was a great value & helped give the wrist a break. But I-5 was/is relatively flat & low altitude too.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
MrSciTrek said:
TDK said:
Well... the grips were in the picture so we asked.
I had a throttle lock on my old '70 Yamaha 500 & did a lot of commuting up and down I-5, Longview to Bellingham (WA). It was a great value & helped give the wrist a break. But I-5 was/is relatively flat & low altitude too.
As a science teacher you souls know that most technology has changed over the last 10 years , even more so in the last 25-35 years !

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Not sure what you're refering to, Lucky. The throttle lock pictures is identical to the one I used almost 30 years ago, and this 500 we love is no spring chicken either (nor am I, of course). While technology in general has changed over that time, the laws of nature & human behavior haven't... so...

What are we talking about again? ??? ;)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts