Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a 500 ex for sale on ebay now that is all black with hard bags and a trunk that is set up as a touring bike. Kawasaki should build these for people that dont want or need a 1400 councours.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
Thy used to make the 1000 Connie, but now they want to use the ZX14 engine instead, though, not raced out. tamed for reliability. having a 1400 though would be nice for touring...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It seems strange to me that Kawasaki does not come out with different versions of the 250 and 500 bikes both are there best sellers instead they waste millions on the 2053cc beast and sell 10 a year. Many smaller men and women would buy the smaller cruisers and touring bikes if someone made them. Sooner or later one of the companys will figure this out.

·
Registered
46 Posts
since the EX500 was built off the 'tried and tested' 600 platform...yeah, Kawi won't waste any resources on developing new flavors of our beloved twin cylinder.
They sell tons of them already, and then make bank off aftermarket add-ons.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I'd be lead to think that EX sales are higher because more people can afford them. If you start adding hard bags and bigger fairings (like a sport tourer) you're also going to drive up price that's also going to have added markup of the mfg and the dealers. As it sits now a brand new 500 at my local dealer is only about $1100 less than the new 650. If you start dividing the market for the 500 by raising the price point on some models, some are going to bypass the touring 500 and just jump on a similarly priced 650, and as the 500/250 market shrinks slowly the likelihood of it leaving our shores would likely grow until there's yet another motorcycle America doesn't get.

I'd love to see touring 500s everywhere, 250s as well. Sometimes it's annoying to see the need of excess where young people won't ride less than a 600, and that's just to get seat time for the liter bike they must have. 99% of the time the "need" for a bigger bike is actually just a need for more rider training and practice to use what they've got, but that extra punch in the straightaway makes them feel better about life because they can pass anything. (And don't see this as an attack on anything bigger than a 500, it's a middle finger to anyone that thinks 500 isn't worth riding).

But when it comes down to it, from the dollars and cents side you'd be hard pressed to come out better than just buying an EX like it sits now and fit some bags to it. The old Silverwings mentioned above were basically just a Honda CB500/650 with a Vetter style fairing, something that was a great idea and not that hard to pull off. The only part you can't do yourself is possibly upgrade the generator/alternator to handle the extra accessories you want to add, but I wonder if it wouldn't be possible to upgrade to dual batteries and/or a better charging system and just go on with it.

Good idea in theory, but in the market they're dealing with I don't foresee any mfg trying it. Give gas a few more dollars and maybe we'll get there.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Knightslugger said:
Thy used to make the 1000 Connie, but now they want to use the ZX14 engine instead, though, not raced out. tamed for reliability. having a 1400 though would be nice for touring...
I think they made a great decision with that project, the Concourse was long overdue for an overhaul. I couldn't have cared less how big they went, but just seeing some new skins on it was stupendous.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Nick D said:
I've never seen them around, I suppose they're only available overseas and/or outside the U.S.?
Me neither, I was looking for some mods idea for kawasaki 500cc bikes and I ended up finding those.. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts