Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if any one has ever put a ex650 engine in a ex500 and why haven't they started making ex500s fuel injected the 650s are

S

·
0 Posts
ares-shady said:
why haven't they started making ex500s fuel injected the 650s are

Cost, the ex500 is trying to remain an affordable entry level bike. Using v-twins as an example. To add fuel injection to a carburetor designed bike, you are looking at around $2000.

Also the saying applies, if it ain't broke why fix it....

·
Registered
146 Posts
Read FOG's buying an EX500 FAQ. That should explain it.

·
Registered
348 Posts
My question is, why would anyone want to stick a 650R's engine in a EX500? This bike has nothing to offer other than the mere fact it's a great starter bike. Just buy the 650. Unless you're an engineering nut like spike :D I can't see why people are going to such lengths to ensure they can keep their precious 500. People that ride these smaller bikes tend to become real die hards. I see it with the 250 as well. The 500's frame, weight, handling, ergonomics, and etc. are appalling speaking comparatively. Really, unless people live for challenging projects, I don't see the sense in these sorts of things. My view anyway.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
eXce!!eNt said:
My view anyway.
If more people had that view I wouldn't have to listen to Civics fart up and down my street at 1 in the morning.

ares-shady said:
i was wondering if any one has ever put a ex650 engine in a ex500 and why haven't they started making ex500s fuel injected the 650s are
It surely boils down to price. I'd think the biggest part of that is the fact that the EX500 has been around for a long time and it would take a lot of money to revamp the tooling and such. With the retool and added tech it would push the 500 price point higher. It would probably put the 500 and the 650 so close in price that 500s wouldn't sell and they'll lose their tooling which has most likely already been fully depreciated.

When the 650 first came out I remember a few 500 owners talking about swapping in a 650 engine and there was discussion of whether the parts were swappable or not. One big hurdle was the size of the 650 motor (IIRC, it's been awhile) and the layout of the mounting points. I'd say the biggest thing is likely the availability of affordable 650 engines. It's still fairly new so there probably aren't a great deal of them at the wrecker's. Enough that you could get one, but few enough that they probably cost a little change.

In the end you'd end up with a 500 chassis with more power that needed upgrades to the suspension, brakes, etc.

eXce!!eNt said:
My question is, why would anyone want to stick a 650R's engine in a EX500? This bike has nothing to offer other than the mere fact it's a great starter bike.
I just happened to think, one reason could be the ugly steel frame. You could weld whatever you want to it and it's not likely going to look any better or worse.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts