Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like the looks of the new 650R gauge cluster. You can see it here: http://www.kawasaki.com/ImagesMain/Products/ActionShots/201_EX650A7F_40103_D1.jpg

I'm not overly familiar with dash connections. I know that the speedo and tach cables are similar for many bikes, and that I might be able to figure out how to wire our neutral, high beam, and turn signals to it, but is there anything else I am missing or oversimplifying?

It's probably not worth the effort to connect another bike's dash, but this one is pretty sexy!

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
the speedo on our bike is cable driven. the tach is controlled electronically. on those gauges, the digital odometer may be a bit of a challenge. otherwise, you have two options:

1. cut both wiring harnesses. the one on the new gauge, and the one on the bike that goes to the gauges and match up the wires (turn signal L to turn signal L, neutral to neutral etc etc).

2. take your old gauges off and cut the wiring harness off of them (or get another one and do it) and match up the wires. then you can just plug directly into the stock harness. this is how i would do it, as it would probably be the easiest way, and it would help in the long run if you ever had to take them off for whatever reason, you can just unplug them.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I pretty much just did what dragknee mentioned. I went from the stock gauges to a speedo and an idiot light box a la '81 Suzuki. I just found some connectors that fit the EX wiring harness (got them off the Suz), referred to the wiring diagram of the EX, and matched everything up. Pretty easy, really. My only problem now is that I need to find an electronic tach to use.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I am disturbed by the lack of a temperature guage on the 650R insturment panel. Does anyone know if that LCD has an option to display coolant temp?
Even if it does, odometer, 1 or two trip odometers, clock, and temp is a lot to have to scroll through if you can only view one at a time.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
jcs said:
I am disturbed by the lack of a temperature guage on the 650R insturment panel. Does anyone know if that LCD has an option to display coolant temp?
Even if it does, odometer, 1 or two trip odometers, clock, and temp is a lot to have to scroll through if you can only view one at a time.
Methinks the LED under the 140 mark on the speedo is all you get. My '99 Vulcan only has a light, as does my KZ (which is air cooled).

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
yeah i think all you get is that light. if you want to know the temp at all times (not just when its in the red) you could get an autometer temp gauge and mount it up somewhere.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts