Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

· Registered
87 ex500, 81 gs1100, 74 xlch 1000, 72 cl350, 03 525 exc, 14 wolf 150
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Water pump cover is sitting on the cart below the engine with all the other take off parts. Waiting for gaskets to arrive. it was pretty banged up cosmetically, gave it a shot of black paint.

I repainted the exhaust with high temp paint yesterday, stunk up the basement bad, so I went upstairs and made a list of everything I still want to do in the next couple weeks. I’d like to have it ready to get out of the basement by the end of Feb, so I have time for the other bikes before the spring gets here.

Handwriting Office supplies Font Writing implement Material property

Thx for all the recommendations and such.
I’m excited for this thing to start coming back together.

· Administrator
07 Ducati SS800 '95 Ducati 900SS/SP '19 Honda CBR650R
16,506 Posts
valve lash specs on your sheet are back-asswards. Should have larger specs to Ex, smaller to In. Hope you didn't set them that way.

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
valve lash specs on your sheet are back-asswards. Should have larger specs to Ex, smaller to In. Hope you didn't set them that way.
sure enough… thanks for catching that. Just copied it from a google search, and assumed the IN and EX labels matched how I would have listed it…

cheers. I haven’t set them yet.

· Administrator
07 Ducati SS800 '95 Ducati 900SS/SP '19 Honda CBR650R
16,506 Posts
Reactions: yorkie

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Crankset Automotive tire Black Bicycle chain Bicycle part

Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Alloy wheel

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Alloy wheel Automotive lighting

before and after. Yeesh.
The drum lining is rather pitted. I wonder if it’s worth it to try and smooth it out at all, or just let the new shoes scrub into the lining and mate up as well as they are able to. Still pretty rusty in there but it’s been steel brushed and degreased as much as is practical by hand.
Linkage and cam cleaned and regressed.
The wheel bearings feel ok. The one on the brake side feels just the slightest bit coarse, the 2 on the drive side feel smooth.

· Registered
2,820 Posts
have you checked the drum ovality (you should) also you will have to do something about the rust all it's going to do is scrape the linings and contaminate them, you can clean it up by fitting the rear wheel without the brake hub (just the wheel and loose axle bolt) spin the wheel and while it's spinning fit a wide barrel sander to a drill and hold it flat against the drum while spinning both the wheel and drill on high speed.
it will clean the rust off polish the drum and even take out some of the ovality.
please don't forget some of us have been where you are already. fixes are there if know what to do.

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I very much and humbly accept the wisdom of the forum.

these sorts of dynamic solutions are what the forum world exist for!
Ill need to source a big sanding drum

· Registered
2,820 Posts
Ill need to source a big sanding drum
you can get kits of barrel sanders in larger sizes (as apposed to the the ones supplied for the dremmel) between 1in and 2in. if you're really inventive you can hold/fix the drill to the swingarm for a better result.
this is the kit I have, had them for years.
Drum Sander Kit,Broco 20pcs Spindle Sanding Drum Sander Tool Kit Set Rubber Drums with Case for Drill Press,with Tool Carrying Case : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle tire

So
Received the 94-09 CCT in the mail from eBay.

Checked the part in the box and it looked exactly like this one I have already installed.

so someone already did the swap.
they also had RTV silicone on the mating surface… standard issue or a band aid for a trash o-ring? Missing Paper Gasket?

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I was trippin.
I got back home today and actually fully opened the eBay tensioner and it is in fact different. The current one doesnt have the racheting mechanism.
false alarm, thanks, sorry

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Rear brake lining resurfaced. Went well, is now shiny and 98% smooth. Used the drum sander on a drill. Great tip. Cleaned and regreased rear wheel bearings etc etc.
Rebuilt forks, replaced fork seals, now waiting on a qt of 15 weight fork oil because of course I’m short a couple oz from what I had lying around the garage.
Pulled the steering head after checking on the bearings. Original. Shot. Original 35 year old grease all dried up. Ordered roller bearings. Waiting.
Waiting for engine rattle can paint to arrive.
Swapped original hand levers and perches for a set from a 2016 zx9. Bled, solid feel @ the lever.

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle tire Gas Bicycle

Gas Machine Sculpture Personal protective equipment Military camouflage

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Machine Gas

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Engineering Gas

fresh coat of paint on the engine tonight
Duplicolor engine enamel, semigloss black

Steering head bearings arrived in the mail way fast, so those went in tonight also.
front end mostly rebuilt. Need to clean and grease up the front wheel. any special tech tips for bringing a front brake rotor back up to snuff? It’s not terrible, but has some “sitting around” rust on it.

Reassembly is just on the horizon. I was thinking earlier that I’d be happy to be finishing the build portion of this project by the end of February, but it is seeming like if I get a couple more half days after work, it might be built up by the end of January. A lovely thought. The other machines need some loving also.

· Registered
2,820 Posts
very nice, good work, you could try a scotch bright pad or something not too abrasive, check for straightness of the rotor, (runout) mine was warped so replaced it with one of those wavy slotted discs.

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Obviously it’s not ideal but I plan to run a compression test before installing the motor back into the frame. Just in case. Should have done it earlier.

Problem is, there’s no oil in the engine. I can/will drop some into the cylinders, but leave the bottom end with just the leftover oilslick that exists there already. I would fill the engine, but I haven’t changed the flywheel because I can’t lock the crank until the engine is chained to the rear wheel. So I don’t wanna install the oil and the gasket and then have to remove, and in the worst case, damage the gasket or oil.

I figure a quick shot with the starter is enough to tell me what I need to know, and oil wouldn’t be up to the top end by then anyways, if I did fill oil to spec.

this is my thinking.

terrible idea? How to make it less harmful?
how to change the flywheel on the bench without special tools?

thanks

· Border Kong
998 Posts
You can use a DIY strap wrench around the flywheel.

Edit: It's funny how two of my favorite things (motorbikes and coffee) came together in this post...

• Helpful
Reactions: bpe
21 - 40 of 63 Posts