Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first start my ('89 EX500) and the bike is warming up, running resting on side stand, bike in neutral, the neutral light flickers and bike dies. What do I need to do to fix this or is there something else wrong?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Your light is flickering because you have a short or loose somewhere . Or if it only does it only with the sidestand down you may have a problem with you sidestand switch or the wiring going to it . Check these things and give us some more detailed info of the problem .

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!!Will do! I will check this this afternoon and will get reply back results! ;D

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Have you tried to start it on the center stand ?

Stay on it, it might engage a gear..

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
in front of the shifter shaft there is a wire with a green 90 cap on it plugged into a brass pin sticking out of the engine. This is the connection to the neutral switch of the shift drum. Check this connection for tightness.

FOG

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I started the bike on the center stand and it did not drop into gear. Light was still flickering, I reached down and moved the wires and there is a short. Fog, I did not see the 90 that you said would be there. The wires go behind a cover that is direcly beside the shifter. I will be looking behind this cover today.

Thanks

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fog strikes again! It was the connection to the switch that was loose. It was behind the cover. Thanks all! ;D

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Lucky#13 said:
Your light is flickering because you have a short or loose wire somewhere . Or if it only does it only with the sidestand down you may have a problem with you sidestand switch or the wiring going to it . .

Some folks get all the credit ! ::)

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
Lucky#13 said:
Lucky#13 said:
Your light is flickering because you have a short or loose wire somewhere . Or if it only does it only with the sidestand down you may have a problem with you sidestand switch or the wiring going to it . .

Some folks get all the credit ! ::)

You were close , but no cigar, close only counts in Horseshoes and Atomic Bombs.

FOG

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lucky#13 you were correct also. You said there was a short or a loose wire. Thanks! Fog just narrowed the search area! I appreciate both guys! You both know what you are talking about! ;D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts