Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I am asking for tips on possible maintenance items on a '93 EX500 with unknown service history. Odometer is low 6k miles. I bought it from original owner in 2016 at 4.5k miles (I obviously don't ride it a ton).

Life got busy so it has sat in the garage since most of 2019. It does run and ride fine.

What has been done:
  • Carb cleaning / new float gasket / new pilot screw
  • New clutch springs
  • oil + filter change
What I plan to get done:
  1. New tires
  2. Service brakes
  3. Flush coolant
Am I missing anything? Maybe valve clearance?

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Sure it is a '93 model year? Oftentimes, bikes made in September and later in'93 are actually 94s and Ninja 500s. Check: 16" or 17" wheels? If 17s, you are in luck. If it is a generation 1 (1987-1993) then "I" would get:

1. 1994-2009 cam chain tensioner. Can save your engine.
2. Upgraded (non-explosive) flywheel, eBay item 123328035914 for example.

Valve adjust is always a good idea, as the exhausts tend to tighten up.

Reactions: Mordru

·
Moderating: Fair & Just
7,393 Posts
+1 on the valve adjustment. You may as well do it at the same time as the coolant flush, they kind of go hand in hand.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
+1 on the valve adjustment. You may as well do it at the same time as the coolant flush, they kind of go hand in hand.
I just change my coolant out each time I crash and break the pump cover...
Regular changes, IOW.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sure it is a '93 model year? Oftentimes, bikes made in September and later in'93 are actually 94s and Ninja 500s. Check: 16" or 17" wheels? If 17s, you are in luck. If it is a generation 1 (1987-1993) then "I" would get:

1. 1994-2009 cam chain tensioner. Can save your engine.
2. Upgraded (non-explosive) flywheel, eBay item 123328035914 for example.

Valve adjust is always a good idea, as the exhausts tend to tighten up.
Hey, when measuring the wheels, I'm measuring 17" from rim OD.

However I do vaguely remember inspecting the flywheel which had small individual magnets when I was replacing the clutch springs. I remember one of the magnets was cracked. But I can't for the life of me remember what I had done to remedy that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Luckily I found some pictures when I had the case off. I was wrong, no cracked magnet, I believe I was thinking of the glue that was cracking away. I think I just removed any pieces that were at risk of chipping off.

·
Premium Member
84' Goldwing Aspencade, 91' EX500, 98' Ninja 250/17' 300 engine, 07' EX500
3,889 Posts
Up that's a 1st gen engine for sure. You can buy a 2nd Gen cam chain tensioner, which I recommend, and did a write-up about it years ago here.

Also get a 2nd Gen flywheel, and follow Fog's write-up, or get one if those off eBay which doesn't require the modification.

I've done both to my 1st Gen, my flywheel was a lot worse.

When doing the brakes, be sure to do a full service on the caliper, as these are overlooked all the time.

My 91 EX500 aka Phoenix

Also my 07 EX500 aka Nightwing

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
To find rim size, simply check the sidewall of the tire. Should say 100/90-16 (F) and 120/90-16 (R). Some go with 110 fronts, but that only tends to make the steering heavier and less responsive. A 130/90-16 rear (or MT90-16) is fine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Up that's a 1st gen engine for sure. You can buy a 2nd Gen cam chain tensioner, which I recommend, and did a write-up about it years ago here.
Are you able to point me to that? I looked through your discussions and couldn't find it. Maybe I'm bad at searching but haven't been able to find any write ups here for that matter!

·
Premium Member
3,889 Posts
I tried looking, and then realized it must have been on the wiki page we used to have.

But it's pretty straight forward swap.

I know it's a must have thing to do, @fog will tell this for sure you can order a new one from Kawasaki, it's about $100 part # 12048-1141.

If the price seems a bit, remember it's cheap than engine.

Most of the important information can be found in the how to/fyi thread How-To's / FYI

·
Premium Member
3,889 Posts
Check out my most ongoing post, yes this is a shameless plug 😁😜

Reactions: Elsevere

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
As to the Gen2 tensioners, if used, knock the big chunks of grit off of them, i.e. make sure it is reasonabnly clean, throw a gasket in there and bolt them up. Best not to complicate it.

Reactions: ghostt

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks. This is my first bike and I'm obviously new to working on it. I just like to try and fully understand the job and any possible surprises before I take anything apart.

I did order a new cct from partzilla (the one that ghostt so kindly shared). Shoot, that doesn't come with a new gasket does it? Could I get away with using RTV?

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Haters are gonna hate, but I have always thought of RTV as kinda ghetto. The tensioner "should" come with a gasket. If not, don't panic! Ever make a gasket? Easy. Get a sheet of gasket material at NAPA, O'Reilly's, Amazon or wherever. Cut a hole so that it will slip over the tensioner. Then take a ball peen hammer and tap the gasket material around the edges of the tensioner until you have cut a new gasket. You can finish the cut with scissors or a utility knife if need be. Use a center punch or awl to make the bolt holes. Slather it up with your favorite goo and go for it. Your friends will be impressed.

Reactions: Mordru and ghostt

·
Tanker Clown
8,720 Posts
You don’t even have to go as far as buying gasket paper....any waxy cardboard will do, like the kind a 12 pack comes in.

I’ve literally made hundreds of gaskets with 12 pack cardboard using the the exact method @po18guy explains above.

In fact, there might be a few of them residing in a Ducati engine in my garage as I type this. Maybe more than one of them.

It’s cheap, it’s easy and almost always available....even when all the parts stores are closed....like the night before a trip when you discover oil leaking from a stator cover that wasn’t leaking two days prior during a pre-departure inspection. Don’t uh, ask about why I told that story

Reactions: Mordru and ghostt

·
Premium Member
3,889 Posts
Or just call partzilla and have them add it to the order 🤣🤣🤣

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.