Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
brand new spark plugs, brand new fully charged battery. I took the plugs out and grounded them to see if i could get any spark while cranking the engine, but i dont have anything. i made sure all the fuses were good and all the connections are clean and in correct order, but still no luck. can somebody guide me towards my next steps? i found the wiring diagram on the wiki for the 1st gen, would it apply to 2nd gen as well as far as wire colors go? i read somewhere that i could check for 12v to the wires from the IC igniter, but im not sure which wires I should check with my multimeter. since both dont spark, i dont think it is the coils, but they could both possibly be bad, but idk how to check for proper resistance for those. any help will be greatly appreciated. engine cranks strong and fast with new battery, and all safety switches are disengaged when i crank the engine (kickstart, neutral, clutch...) but still no spark no matter what i try. I just need to figure out how to pinpoint my problem so i can replace the part and start riding. btw, i bought this bike used and it hasnt been run for 5 years.

·
Registered
11,739 Posts
Buy another cdi unit and change it out and see if that fixes it.

If you want to play scientist then put a multimeter on dc voltage setting and test input at the cdi while someone is trying to start the bike, just go through all the leads and you should find input voltage, then once you find input voltage look for output voltage, which will be the wires that go directly to the coils, if it has input voltage and no output voltage then your cdi is bad. First you must make certain your brand new battery is good or you're wasting all your time with this problem. If you're only putting out 10.4 or so volts during startup attempt then the cdi won't provide output voltage anyway. Test voltage during startup first before you do anything else. It must be around 10.7 or above.

·
Administrator
07 Ducati SS800 '95 Ducati 900SS/SP '19 Honda CBR650R
16,106 Posts
ignition switches can be problematic too, worth a check, schematics and simple continuity tests in service manuals

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Why not Torque the plugs in and shoot some ether (starting fluid) into the intake. You get a pop or two, then you have spark. Have you checked the connection at either end of the high-tension leads (coil to HT and HT to plug cap)? Those are a known problem and easily fixable.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
alright guys, i checked voltage on cdi output terminals, and all 7 pins have 12 volts, however when i check the green and black/white wires on the ignition coil end, i dont have any voltage. I havent checked input voltage on cdi, but im assuming that if i have output, i already have input for the cdi. so what im thinking is that both wires for left and right coils (green and black/white wires) are damaged or shorted somewhere across the wiring harness. should i try splicing a new wire from the green and black/white wires and connecting it to the coil, completely bypassing the wiring harness, and then go from there? or i remove the harness, and then remove electrical tape from wiring harness, and go over all the wires and check for continuity? at least my cdi is good though!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just checked killswitch at green plug, tested continuity from red/yellow to red, and killswitch works properly. what else could it be? i should be getting 12v to ignition coils but im not, but yet i have 12v at cdi output and continuity between the connections from cdi output wires to the coil side connections. what else should i check? i think im getting close to solving the problem of no spark.

·
Registered
11,739 Posts
the problem with jumping it out is you have to hack into the harness. If you can find a way to accomplish that without hacking the harness then go fo it, just makie sure you hook the right wires up to the right wires/terminals.

You may also want to verify how much voltage you are measuring by comparing that to someone elses ex that is running, you say you have voltage great, but now how do you know you have enough voltage output to fire the coils?.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys I'm having the same problem with my 06 but I have power at the coils if I use body ground I have power at each terminal on both coils 12 V Not sure if he was testing it that way or just testing putting the probes on each wire on one coil because it would show no voltage then But I was curious if there was a solution for your problem

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
got the original ignition switch on it,
the members of this thread have not been around for years. why piggy back an 8yo thread.
start a new one with the info needed to help cure your problem.

·
Moderating: Fair & Just
7,393 Posts
No rules against resurrecting a dead thread.
We all know newer posts added into older threads are bumped to the top....clearly visible for all to see. Its fully OP's decision to start fresh or add on to older thread, there are no rules prohibiting his choice.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
there are also no rules about flogging a dead horse but it's still a waste of time, questioner asked.
Hey guys I'm having the same problem with my 06 but I have power at the coils, But I was curious if there was a solution for your problem
in the original thread the bike had never been heard running after a lay up of 5 years yet no one mentioned if the ignition switch was OEM. no solution was posted over 8 years ago. so unlikely to get one now.
strange how a comment get more interest than answers to a question though.

·
Moderating: Fair & Just
7,393 Posts
Well the good news is, I don't think a dead thread can be threadjacked, especially one that never drew to a conclusion. 😄

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hey guys I'm having the same problem with my 06 but I have power at the coils if I use body ground I have power at each terminal on both coils 12 V Not sure if he was testing it that way or just testing putting the probes on each wire on one coil because it would show no voltage then But I was curious if there was a solution for your problem
Check plug wires.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts