Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was out in my garage a few days ago working on my project bike. I had to move my 996 out to give myself a little extra room. Later in the day, after I cleaned up and put all my tools away, I rolled the 996 back inside. When I did, I happened to notice that I was missing a windscreen bolt.

Now, I was already missing 2 when I got the bike but I didn't really care all that much at that point. Seemed so trivial. I've ridden the bike now for 3 years as I got it in January of 2017. In that time, I've done a bunch of work to it to make it mechanically sound. Never once did I give thought to the missing windscreen hardware.

The 996, like many things Ducati is never as simple as "just buy new ones" and move on. The windscreen screws are tiny. 4mm fine thread. If you still have the stainless steel OEM ones anyway. (Davenay?) Not only that but they're Torx head fasteners, tiny Torx too. Like T8 or T10 maybe. I dunno, I haven't messed with them as yet.

After noting that one was missing, I also noted that another was horribly loose. Again, Ducati is never as simple as "just tighten it up" and move on. It turns out all the rubber well nuts are old, dry rotted and cracked to the point they are falling apart. At that point I knew I needed to, as a minimum replace all the rubber well nuts. However, I also needed the 3 missing screws too.

Once again, proving what I stated already, it wasn't as simple as "just order new ones" and move on. Finding the proper fasteners proved a timely endeavor, even after posting for assistance on Ducati MS. I searched everywhere I could think of, before discovering that if you want the OEM fasteners you have to go direct to Ducati at $10+ per kit. A kit being one screw and one well nut. There are 9 total. No one makes a reproduction anymore. (I'm sure they did before, as I've seen them) Also, there was no P/N for just the screw or just the well nut. IOW, I couldn't just order what I need. You know. Like the Liberty Insurance commercial? 馃榿

The only aftermarket ones I could find were from Pro-Bolt. Now, I've used Pro-Bolt before, and they make a great product. However, when I looked at what they had to offer, it didn't look much different to what I could find on eBay really. I pondered ordering a Ti kit from them in gold or black but that really wasn't what I wanted. Then finally, someone on Ducati MS posted a link to an eBay ad.

I followed the link, and found the ad was associated with an eBay storefront. So off I went to the storefront to see what else they offered besides the OEM well nuts. That's when I discovered Podium Racing. They, like Pro-Bolt offer a Ti, Aluminum and a Stainless Steel windscreen kit for the 916/996/998/748. I looked over what they had on offer and changed my mind about the OEM fasteners. The ones from Podium definitely look like they belong on the 996 without being gaudy or too plain.

So, I ordered a Ti kit in black right then and there. $68 before shipping and taxes. Still, better than what I was looking at paying for OEM.

The kit bolts look similar to this one, with the small divots machined out around the wide pan head. Comes complete with the OEM well nuts as well as plastic washers to protect the paint when installing the kit on the windscreen. Pretty happy with the choice, and to have found another supplier of Ducati parts. Now, its just the waiting game to see how long it takes for them to get here from Scottsdale, AZ. One would think that it wouldn't be long but with this Mexican beer virus thing.....who knows.......sean

Registered
"Little Love" and "Ducati 996" don't go together. The 996 is a total prima donna. The hot girlfriend that knows she's hot, and makes your life miserable with all her demanding requests. ;)
Not to mention grumpy around town, and hard to ride well if sticking to legal limits. But when you can let the bike off the leash....OMG what a ride. Anyway, I am wandering off topic....

I do still have all my OEM windshield bolts, although the rubber on the well nuts is getting hard and not holding some of the nut inserts all that well these days. I can't complain about rubber not being perfect after 21 years. I iwll eventually get around to addressing these issues, but I have more pressing issues at hand. Such as belt(s) being replaced. A valve inspection and possible adjustment. And the possibility of flaking rockers.

Not to mention a VFR800 in pieces. I started taking the Honda apart and got stopped in my tracks just short of doing a valve adjustment, because the workers doing our kitchen remodel needed the garage space to store some of our possessions and their some of their tools, and the Honda got shuffled off into a corner and I couldn't work on it for a good amount of time. I'm actually quite nervous that I have forgotten how I took some of the parts off the Honda....I'm very much the type of person that remembers how they removed something and then reverse that process to rebuild things.

Might be a year of riding the Goldwing....assuming that we don't get "locked up in our own homes" for the Summer.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
"Little Love" and "Ducati 996" don't go together. The 996 is a total prima donna. The hot girlfriend that knows she's hot, and makes your life miserable with all her demanding requests. ;)
Not to mention grumpy around town, and hard to ride well if sticking to legal limits. But when you can let the bike off the leash....OMG what a ride. Anyway, I am wandering off topic....

I do still have all my OEM windshield bolts, although the rubber on the well nuts is getting hard and not holding some of the nut inserts all that well these days. I can't complain about rubber not being perfect after 21 years. I iwll eventually get around to addressing these issues, but I have more pressing issues at hand. Such as belt(s) being replaced. A valve inspection and possible adjustment. And the possibility of flaking rockers.
I鈥檓 probably due for a belt replacement soon. It鈥檚 been 3 years and I know it was done just before I got the bike. Rockers were replaced as well as adjustments made. I鈥檒l check the clearances but at nearly 20K I鈥檓 not convinced I need to do any adjustments. I鈥檝e read the valve train settles or beds in and is stable after so many miles.

Flaming rockers.....check your sump screen on your next oil change. No flakes there means your likely off the hook for now.

I agree with you on the ride....but I find mine fairly easy to live with. Other than being 20 years old, and the degradation of parts like the well nuts that comes along with age, I鈥檇 call mine trouble free.

Since taking ownership, I鈥檝e dealt with all manner of maintenance issues. But really, all of those reared their heads early on. I鈥檝e not had any issues in the time since I fixed them all.

From the days of early ownership, I replaced the clutch with a 48 tooth EVR set up, compete with the 鈥渁nti-clank鈥 pressure plate, new release bearing and slave cylinder. That sorted out my extra noises clutch.

There was the derailed chain damage that cracked the alternator cover, which I replaced and discovered a leaky water pump seal at the same time. While I had all that apart, it seemed a good time to replace all the 20 year old rubber hoses with silicone hoses.

After all that came the night ride home from. Calistoga with @jrocket
That鈥檚 when we discovered the head light didn鈥檛 work. It was a fairly scary ride out where there are no street lights. Luckily I figured out the high beam still worked.

Other than installing working turn signals and reseating the ECU nothing else has gone wrong. Besides the loss of the windscreen screw I mean. All the bugaboo Ducati idiosyncrasies I鈥檇 been warned about haven鈥檛 appeared.

Also, like you, I generally remember how something came apart and I just reverse the process to reassemble....and I鈥檓 in the same boat with the Project Supersport. I took stuff apart so long ago, I forgot where everything went. Not just on the bike, but also where it got stashed in my garage!.....sean

Registered
Last night replaced two windscreen bolts on Big Red. Had been holding a Saeng adjustable wing and were too long. M5 Phillips nylon with nylon washers and an internal star lockwasher under the nut. Used nippers to cut off the excess thread, so they are there for awhile is my guess. Box of nylon screws nuts and washers (M3,4,5) was about $5 from mainland Corona.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
The Ti windshield kit came in this evening. Got out to the garage for a bit to replace the missing screws at least. I replaced one of the stainless screws that was still present so I have a picture to present here.

The OEM screws are tiny as previously explained. 4mm fine thread is how they鈥檙e described. A T7 Torx tool is required for removal.

Luckily I have an 8mm hex bit set that I got decades ago for a ratcheting screw driver. Well, the screw driver was junk and broke rather swiftly but the set also happened to fit a magnetic drill adapter I have. I鈥檝e used various bits from the set over the years so have kept it handy.

Then my son discovered the magical Snap-On truck that comes to his work every week. He started investing in tools and thus had a spanking new T7 socket bit in his tool box. The one he kindly leaves under my bike bench.

The end result is, I had more than one right tool for the job. The new Ti bolts are equally tiny but use a regular hex key to install and remove. It鈥檚 pretty tiny too, like maybe 3mm. I didn鈥檛 look. I just grabbed the 3rd smallest one in my kit and it fit.

Here is a pic with the Allen wrench in the middle for scale:

The well nut on the right is well past it. You can see how much it is compressed and if you zoom in on it, you can see how cracked and rotted it is. It鈥檚 actually one of the better ones.

Anyway, here鈥檚 how the new ones look once installed:

I鈥檒l get the rest installed tomorrow....but it鈥檚 supposed to rain all weekend again. Guess I鈥檒l just get it all cleaned up for better pics then.....sean

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Like I wrote at the beginning, it鈥檚 never that easy. Today after work I got out to the garage early to finish up the wind screen kit install. I could manage 7 out of the 9 with relative ease. The last 2 though....

That required removal of the upper as the instrument cluster was in the way. Once I had that off (it鈥檚 kinda of a pain to remove) I figured 鈥渨hile I鈥檓 in here鈥 might as well install those new OEM filters I got back around Christmas.

Then, since the instruments are now unobstructed, I can replace the back lights with the new 194 LEDs I just got. AND, since I鈥檓 into the instruments, might as well install that carbon dash I鈥檝e had hanging on my peg board for 2 years.

Creep, I believe is the term for that. I got the kit installed as well as the air cleaners.....turned out there were reusable foam Piper Cross filters already in there. Guess I鈥檒l get those cleaned up and oiled correctly for the next time service is required.

Here鈥檚 a pic of how perished the remaining well nuts were....with the 2.5mm Allen wrench for scale:

I also replaced half of the back lights with LEDs to compare the difference. It鈥檚 actually starkly different. I鈥檒l get a pic later to share before I button everything back up. Here is the windscreen kit installed:

Registered
Rest in Peace, Nicky!

Registered
Indeed the term is "scope creep"....2 dreaded words in any project. I think they came out nice, subtle and classy.

My nuts are in just as bad a shape as yours. Ooh err, that didn't come out quite right! Yup, they're a job on my list, but way down unless the screen decides to try and fly off whilst riding.

You have a 69 graphic....nice. I have a crazy foggy eyes vinyl waiting to go on mine....very apropo for a Ducat 9x6 superbike.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Indeed the term is "scope creep"....2 dreaded words in any project. I think they came out nice, subtle and classy.
Thanks...that's what I was going for.
My nuts are in just as bad a shape as yours. Ooh err, that didn't come out quite right! Yup, they're a job on my list, but way down unless the screen decides to try and fly off whilst riding.
LoL...not touching that one...not even figuratively :LOL:

Should that move up your priority list, and you wanna keep the stock look (which I'd have preferred) you can get a well nut kit from Podium Racing for about $24. As I was missing 3 screws, that wasn't going to do me much good. Not when I couldn't order just the 3 screws I needed.
You have a 69 graphic....nice. I have a crazy foggy eyes vinyl waiting to go on mine....very apropo for a Ducat 9x6 superbike.
I actually have the full sized one that isn't in a white dot. I got that at Laguna Seca SBK weekend right after Nick passed. My wife and I each got one, and one of the full size ones American Honda was giving out at their display tent. Classy on their part.

There lots of other places SELLING them for a profit. The only way I was going to buy one was if the money went to the charity the Hayden family set up in his name. But yeah, Foggy eyes is definitely appropriate. Particularly so, given all his title wins were on the 916/955/996.

A Bayliss motif wouldn't be out of place either. I mean, given he won titles on all three generations....998/999/1098...but being he's an Aussie rather than a Brit...:D

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Gave the 996 a bunch of lovin鈥 today. It was super nice out so after installing a bolt I still needed to install after the lengthy windscreen exercise I cleaned, lubed and adjusted the chain and took her on a 100 plus mile ride.

Rode all the local back roads and then met up with a fellow 900SS owner and rode the Berryessa short loop. It was phenomenal out and I pushed the 996 pretty hard. I let it off the leash so to speak. We rode the short loop in an hour.

The roads on the short loop vary considerably, from tight technical and downhill stuff to wide open sweepers where you can see the next three corners ahead, to blind uphill sweepers with no sight line through the corner at all.

I mention that because there were few sports bikes out today. There were masses of Harley鈥檚 though. I rode up on a couple of groups that were cool and realized our rate of closure was rather rapid. The went single file and waved us by. Then there were the exact opposite of that. Thankfully single riders....though I use that term lightly.

The first one I happened upon early in my ride. I wasn鈥檛 riding at much more than a relaxed pace doing maybe 60-65 on a back road when I rounded a corner and closed on a rider so rapidly I really had to get on the brakes. I kid you not, this tool bag was tip toeing around the corners at a pace that would get him run over by the first truck driving redneck who rolled up on him.

Seriously, I don鈥檛 know whether he was intoxicated, new or just a truly crap rider. Never checked his mirrors once the entire time I was behind him. I couldn鈥檛 just zap by him in a corner because he was all over the place. I watched his corner entry and exit for a few corners until I figured out what he was doing, and zapped by on the inside of a right hand corner.

I hadn鈥檛 even gotten on the gas because there was a car ahead but when I checked my mirror he was still wobbling around the following left hander. Later towards the end of our ride, we were on the long sweeper section where you can see a few turns ahead. Super wide open stuff you can roll through with a bunch of speed.

We were essentially hauling the mail when I noticed another bike ahead. He was probably 2 corners away so I was surprised when I found myself on his tail as quick as I did. It was almost like he鈥檇 stopped and waited because I caught him between the corner where I鈥檇 seen him and the following left hand sweeper. It was one of those fat tired customs. No mirrors on it at all, beanie pot wearing rider....doing like 30 in a 55. I don鈥檛 know fast I was going but I didn鈥檛 have time to think about it.

I sailed past him into the left hander, giving him plenty of room so he didn鈥檛 freak out and take my buddy out. I guess he still freaked out cuz my buddy took to the on coming lane when he went by just after I did. I didn鈥檛 see it, just saw my buddy take the lane. Makes me wonder why you鈥檇 take a bike like that on curvy roads?

Seems to me those are built for the whole bar hopping scene and not curvy roads where you鈥檇 be holding up traffic. Little ground clearance means cornering isn鈥檛 that style bikes natural habitat. I don鈥檛 know. It鈥檚 like taking a log splitting maul and trying to do surgery with it. Not the proper tool for the job. 馃槅

Other than those 2, the entire day was just glorious. Once we completed the loop, we stopped at my place. My buddy and I were chatting in front of my driveway when I noticed the clouds starting roil and the wind picking up. I made mention of it and my buddy decided to hit the road and try to beat the storm. He only lives a few minutes away so he hit the freeway and hauled back to his place. He texted he made it home dry but as soon as he pulled into his garage it started coming down. That鈥檚 a good day right there!....sean

Reactions: Devilsfan

Registered
That's cool you got out for a ride, and also got to let the 996 run free!

Not been doing much riding myself of late, spending more time at home and doing odd-jobs. The wife and I constructed our 3 raised vegetable beds this weekend.

I actually abused my 996 in the process of putting my tools away. I accidentally walked into the left mirror and snapped it cleanly off! Ducati employs a breakaway bolt and the bolt head sheared cleanly off with relative minor impact. I'm thinking of replacing with a simple steel bolt rather than an undoubtedly expensive OEM replacement.

Registered
I took my SS out for a tire break-in ride on my usual 65 mile coast loop on Sunday as I got new tires 3 weeks back and hadn't put any miles on it yet. First half of the ride was at fairly relaxed pace with lots of moving from side to side of my lane to scrub the tires in and warm them up. Then I was able to get a bit more aggressive for a while and the last few miles of the good twisties I was really able to drop my knee in around the corners. It's feeling good, so next chance I get, I'll either take it up to Lake Sonoma or go out your way Sean up to 121, 128 and Wooden Valley Road area.

I had also taken my EX out for a 120+ mile ride after work end of last week on a route I haven't ridden in a couple of years, basically since I got the SS. Gotta say, riding the EX all the miles I've done over the years has made me a good rider, but learning how to handle the SS has taken my skills to the next level and those skills translate directly into the EX. Corners which I had a tough time with before or that spooked me seemed like nothing this time around. I had much more confidence at speed and around the corners.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
That's cool you got out for a ride, and also got to let the 996 run free!

Not been doing much riding myself of late, spending more time at home and doing odd-jobs. The wife and I constructed our 3 raised vegetable beds this weekend.

I actually abused my 996 in the process of putting my tools away. I accidentally walked into the left mirror and snapped it cleanly off! Ducati employs a breakaway bolt and the bolt head sheared cleanly off with relative minor impact. I'm thinking of replacing with a simple steel bolt rather than an undoubtedly expensive OEM replacement.
It was awe inspiring letting the 996 off the leash. First time I鈥檝e really done that since I picked it up 3 years ago. It really is a different character to my Aprilia.

I feel ya on the yard work. Spent all day Saturday pulling weeds. Got Phuc all done on the 900 SS project.....well.... that鈥檚 not entirely true. I did get the majority of the filler work done and sanded too, but no where near where I want it to be. At least the fiber glass repair is done. That marine grade epoxy is no joke. Takes a grinder to cut into it. Sanding block? Forget it. Tough stuff. Likely that I won鈥檛 need the aviation grade stuff. Might use that on the seat supports when I get to that point.

As for the mirror bolts.....I鈥檇 think you鈥檇 be best served with the OEMs. After all, still cheaper than broken plastics.....sean

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
It's feeling good, so next chance I get, I'll either take it up to Lake Sonoma or go out your way Sean up to 121, 128 and Wooden Valley Road area.
Text me when you plan on hitting up my locals......maybe I can meet you at Moscowite Corners or the dam and ride with you for a bit.....I haven鈥檛 gotten out nearly as much as I鈥檇 like since picking up the PSS.

Got a shed in plans form right now.....gotta lay out a foundation and get some 鈥榗rete poured so I can get the thing built. Hoping this Corona thing ends here relatively soon so I can get a contractor out to do the job....sean

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Today I got some cables in the mail for diagnostics on the 996. Funny to me that the cable really just ends in an OBD II plug.

I am dedicating my old Sony Vaio lap top for the software I'm going to down load. Thing is, I have a blue tooth/wireless ELM reader that pairs to my iPhone.

There is now a software created in France that uses input from the ELM to diagnose any Ducati FI system up to the newest 59M ECM.

Both are freeware but I'm considering just getting both and seeing which one works best. IE, which one gives me the information in the best format.

Time to reset my old laptop back to factory settings and wipe the hardrives clean of any old stuff......more to follow.......sean

Registered
Let me know how the work out for you.

You'll get a kick out of this, but I lost 3 of the windscreen bolts/rubber nuts on my last short outing.... :confused:

I think the Italian word for rubber is shite.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
yes.....when the rubber is 20 years old, shite is the proper term. Even in Italian. 馃槅

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
Got the old lap top set up. GuzziDiag installed. Apparently this cable set will allow you to program the EPROM with the correct software...which is freeware and available from the same site.

I just gotta figure out if that will be possible with any of the available EPROM chips or if I'll have to buy blank ones and the copy hardware to make duplicate chips for further tuning.

Already found out that the current EPROM in the 996, the FIM UM191 chip will not talk to the diagnostic software. I have a new to me Fast By Ferracci chip on the way. Hopefully that will do one of 2 things or both.

1 allow me to see what the hell is going on with the ignition advance, fuel curve and how those relate to the throttle position opening voltage.

2 correct the 5000 rpm stumble that I'm experiencing along with the over rich condition.

What I have going on is, at part throttle cruise, AKA 5K rpm if I don't open the throttle it feels like there is a sudden loss of TPS voltage and the engine starts to return to idle.

It feels literally like you start losing forward momentum. If I roll on the throttle to compensate I get this stumble/hesitation/burble.....I don't know how to describe it in actual words. I just get a "da duh duh da duh duh duh" and then, BANG. Like being shot from a gun acceleration.

If I don't cruise along and just hammer the throttle right off the line it doesn't do that. Just pulls so hard it sets my eyeballs back in my skull. Like I can physically feel my eyeballs deforming and my vision changes until I grab the next shift. That's how hard it pulls.

If I ride it out to the lake and just let if off the leash, it's a phenomenal ride. I never let it get below 6K on a ride like that and it chews through a tank of gas in a hurry. Like under 100 miles to a full tank hurry.

Before I left for the WCM at the end of June, I was riding to work one morning when the 996 stalled as I pulled up to a traffic signal. When I went to restart, there was a loud bang, and smoke came rolling out from under the bike.

I was in near panic. I didn't know what was going on. Pulled to the side of the road and waited. After a few minutes I tried to start it and it just turned over. Then I clicked the high idle switch and it roared to life. Made it to work and all but it would not run without the high idle switch,

I thought it was just bad gas, because I'd filled up at the base gas station. That place has been known to have bad gas from time to time. I patiently used up as much of that gas as I could tolerate and then tanked up with some fresh Chevron Techron in 93 octane. It ran better, but still wouldn't idle without the high idle engaged.

So I pulled the plugs. Both were badly fuel fouled. I replaced the stock plugs with some NGKs that are a slightly higher heat range. My thoughts were that this would help with any future fuel fouling. We went to the WCM and 996 ran like crap for about half the weekend. Then, after around my 3rd tank up, it started to run like normal again.

That is, after 3 tankfuls of Techron it cleared itself out. I began to think that maybe the fuel fouling was so bad, that the valves were unable to close completely, resulting in the hard starts and need to use the high idle switch all the time.

That's the story. I'm hoping the FBF EPROM solves the stupid 5K stumble and if not, at least allows me to see why it's happening. Then maybe I can sort out the over fueling. Best case is, the FBF chip does both those things and I don't have further issues. Worst case is, nothing changes and I still can't read what is going on with the diagnostic software. All for now..........sean

Super Moderator
"correct the 5000 rpm stumble that I'm experiencing along with the over rich condition".

wow, when did this appear?

Registered
"correct the 5000 rpm stumble that I'm experiencing along with the over rich condition".

wow, when did this appear?
Is your stumble on part throttle?

My 996 will occasionally 'cough' on partial throttle....I will have to make note of the RPM's when this happens. No issues in full "goose mode". :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts