Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Finally got some time to spend on the 996 today. Got out to the garage, got the rest of the Guzzi/IAW Diag installed. Read through the tips and tricks for install etc. Installed the driver, and still no dice. Tested the interface unit, again no dice.

Had to stop, read some more and think a bit. So the first thing to know is, I'm using an old, old Sony Vaio lap top that is running Windows XP.

Second thing to know is, the Com port has to be configured. It was not. So, after reading that I may have to change the Com port speed from 9600 down to something like 2400 I did both.

Then I had to identify that Com Port 4 was being used as the default is Com 3. I did all that and finally, some level of success. I got the test to run successfully.

So, I booted up IAW Diag and clicked on connect.....zilch. Nadda. So just on a whim I started the bike. Suddenly the parameters all began to display and I got really happy. For about 3 seconds.

At which time I realized the display was all over the place. It showed the idle speed bouncing around from 700 rpm to 14000 rpm and every where in between. All the other parameters were displaying the same way.

I shut it down, changed the load file from the -24 back to the -14 and tried again. Same result. I suspect that the Com Port speed might be too low so I reset it to 4800. About that time the battery on the 996 decided it had enough and packed it in.

I put it on the Shorai charger and closed up for the day. At least I know I can read what is going on now. I got one further error that I noted and that was that the ecu reader didn't work.

The error showed IAW Reader not installed. So now, I gotta figure out where to find that freeware and install it too. Hopefully the switch to 4800 mbps fixes the jumpy readings....if not, I'll change it back to 9600 and see what happens then.

More later.
Man, what a huge effort. I feel for you. You're spending hours troubleshooting the means to troubleshoot the real problem.

·
Super Moderator
14,971 Posts
Man o man, what a headache. The cure almost seems worse than the disease. Wish I could offer up something, other than to be deliberate and careful with the guzzidiag system. Sorry, but I'll take the simple Honda PGM alternative anytime. I'm a full believer in LITFA, unless going in is fully justified.

·
Super Moderator
14,971 Posts
an interesting concept....

if we were to both confirm software versions we've downloaded, confirm connecting components one by one, slowly confirming step by step while linking each our bikes up to our laptops WHILE ON CELLPHONE together.....its possible some difference may become apparent. Of course, no guarantees...but worth a shot.

I'm certainly no expert, but am able to connect successfully. Both bikes using MM components and guzzidiag software to get there...the fact they are different models is impertinent.

The offer is there to compare steps and methods "live" via cellphone, East Coast vs West Coast. I'm open to give it a shot. You?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey, off topic...ish...but McMaster Carr has M4 and M5 x16mm 318 stainless button head or flanged head hex screws for about 10 bucks...per hundred. They have metric M5 rivet nuts ( well nuts) and they sell for about 6 bucks for a 10 pack. I am slowly changing out all the little crappy bolts on the Ninja (not really crappy, but not 318 stainless either) with McMaster Carr products. I am going to have to start selling my extras!

·
Super Moderator
6,150 Posts
^ Look forward to seeing them in the classifieds.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts