Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I view of the number of problems that involve carbs and the difficulty of servicing them properly. I though I might offer a service of exchanging your set for a good rebuilt set properly adjusted with clean Pilots and opened and adjusted Pilot screws.
My intrest in this is the same as my contributing to this forum, To help.
Would any body be interested ? Shipping seems to be about 8 bucks anywhere in the country. and I would need about 30 for my time and trouble. Parts are extra except gaskets and seals that come with the job.

Send me a e mail @[email protected]

FOG

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
For those who have some beater carbs on a recently purchased used bike that's a fine offer, FOG.

·
Registered
348 Posts
FOG, I have a pair of carbs off an '88 that look every bit as old as they are. I wasn't able to loosen the screws on the float bowls, and instead messed up the heads so now it looks like removing them is a much more daunting task. Would you still take $30 to service and clean these? If you got the screws out, would you charge for replacement screws? I would need all 8 replaced.

·
Registered
19,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
eXce!!eNt said:
FOG, I have a pair of carbs off an '88 that look every bit as old as they are. I wasn't able to loosen the screws on the float bowls, and instead messed up the heads so now it looks like removing them is a much more daunting task. Would you still take $30 to service and clean these? If you got the screws out, would you charge for replacement screws? I would need all 8 replaced.
Not very much a few dollars I suppose.

Please contact me through my Email

FOG

·
Registered
261 Posts
Sounds like a generous offer FOG. And far cheaper than having a shop do it. I'm stubborn enough I will beat my head against the carbs until they work, but for anybody with more sense than that this is an awesome deal.

S

·
0 Posts
I rather see carb work go to someone like FOG over a mechanic at a dealership......

·
Registered
216 Posts
Geez Fog you should charge at least a half Muzzy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
carb synch is independent of which bike it is synched on. carb synch is the position of the throttle on each carb relative to the other, which doesn't change if the carb is mounted to a different bike.

·
Registered
19,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Orleans said:
Can you not sure if possible sync them when their off the bike ?
I can set them very close by mechanical means, but you really need to do it by airflow. and that requires that they be installed on an engine. But as they come from me they will be very close.

FOG

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
FOG said:
Orleans said:
Can you not sure if possible sync them when their off the bike ?
I can set them very close by mechanical means, but you really need to do it by airflow. and that requires that they be installed on an engine. But as they come from me they will be very close.

FOG
Fog is right. Off the bike they can be mechanically synched which is about as close as it needs to be. I have every faith that he knows how to do this properly. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Fog, I have a set of cannibalized carbs that came with a bike I bought. One is missing the slide and cap if I recall correctly but the other is complete. Either way, I believe it's at least two good bodies. They're from a '94 or newer and what's there appears to be in very good shape. I believe they were the originals from a 1300 mile bike. I could donate them to the cause for the price of shipping. :)

·
Registered
19,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would appreciate that Mark.
I think you have my address. I send you the cost.

FOG

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
FOG said:
I would appreciate that Mark.
I think you have my address. I send you the cost.

FOG
When I get to my storage unit I'll pick them up and get in touch with you. Should be within the week.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey fog is this service still available!? I Would like to get my carbs cleaned/rebuilt! I shot you a email, but just PM me here, or respond through email. Prices here in chicago are rediculous. Costs like 150 - 300 just to clean the carbs.

·
Registered
19,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes I emailed you with the particulars.

FOG

·
Registered
24 Posts
sent you an email. sorry, got excited and asked you about sycronizing carbs before i read the post :D
wow, this is awesome!

EDIT: also, I was fixing to have a dealship do it. I kept waking up too late, and I'm GLAD I did. I don't really trust them too much. They told me I'd have to replace my valve shims and all kinds of stuff to do a valve job. I just did it following the guide on here ;)

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
spikezx5r said:
I rather see carb work go to someone like FOG over a mechanic at a dealership......
I agree. who better than the guy who has forgotten more than most of us will ever know about the EX500? and his service rate is almost unbeatable.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I just returned my original carburetors to FOG today, I have no complaints at all, he's giving great service.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts