Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am new to the community and just moved back to California from Chicago where I didn’t need anything with a motor so decided to start riding again. Found a 01 that had been ridden hard and dumped a couple times and thought it would be a good project. It didn’t start, but seller suspected it was battery so I took a gamble and bought it. Dropped in a new battery and it started right up, but the right exhaust had some white smoke, so the work began. Motivation is to shed weight and profile (I’ve always felt more comfortable on a dirt bike). Here are some early pics. Will post more as I go.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Nice mufflers!
Someone will be wanting that cowl, headlight & bracket, for sure!
I don't agree with the frame mod in rear, but it's your vision, so go for it!

The red tape includes notes for reassembly?
Very good idea: learn to reassemble while you disassemble, and leave yourself some clues for later.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Taking cell phone pics as you go can be a great help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I like the mufflers too, but the one not in the pictures got beat on about the back half of it when it got laid down. Anyone know how much performance is at risk if I shorten it by the part that got torn up?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Made some decent progress today. Gas tank is paint stripped (just need to wire brush it tomorrow), frame has had all parts removed cleaned and is being paint stripped, checked head gasket and cleaned some very dirty piston heads. Next is paint stripping anything that needs it and then painting and reassembly.

·
Registered
352 Posts
How many miles does the bike have on the odometer?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Little update. Weekend had a lot of painting progress along with the color matched helmet and things are starting to go back together. Should have a rolling frame by the end of the day.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Wait a minute...is that blue or purple??? The first pic looks purple whereas the next two look a darker blue.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It is color shift paint. It looks like a dark teal blue straight on and the further off to the side you get the more purple it looks

1 - 20 of 31 Posts