Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to sell my bike cause I don't ride it enough. But I had to idle it up a bit because it was running too low RPM (Probably filthy carbs). Only had a couple of lookers and no takers. So I think I've decided to just keep it, at least for now. I'm having too much fun riding.

Added 2 ounce per gallon Seafoam (it said to do that on bad cases). And halfway through the tank of gas it is now idling up. So I have been turning the idle back down, little by little. It seems to run much better also. My next tank I'll only use 1 ounce Seafoam per gallon which is standard.

Today, it died several times when I first tried to put it in gear (I was thinking carb-job was eminent). About the 3rd time I started it though, it ran perfect. In fact, the idle was a little higher. I think the Seafoam may have blew something out of the reticulum combobulator, or perhaps the warp nacell engaged, unsure. I think the Seafoam really is cleaning the carbs. It's perfectly ridable right now. It seems to run better every day I ride it. So I'm just going with that for now.

Just wondered what your experience with Seafoam is...
Did it help? How many tanks worth? How much did you use per gallon? Do you think it's bad for the engine? Any advice appreciated!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
hi. interesting subject if put into context. I have no idea what seafoam does or how it does it because it is not a product widely available here. I believe it is obtainable at boat chandlers. but the nearest is 50miles away so never used it.
other stabilisers are though and seem to work. in preventing the fuel going off. any additive can be beneficial to a greater or lesser degree. I often give mine a slug of diesel injector cleaner. and that seems to help the running. but so does water vapor it runs better on cold damp days than than dry hot ones.
we also are still able to buy fuel with zero bio fuel not sure for how much longer though but this still goes off if left too long. say 6 months. I would say non use is the biggest issue causer. in most cases.
first time out after a lay up will always make the bike feel strange. after a few miles it runs fine one bike is used far more than the other and this also makes a difference. perhaps it's to do with the constant changing of the fuel for fresh. IDK but it all helps. if you find something works for you carry on.

·
Registered
19,392 Posts
It might be doing what it is supposed to do, dissolve gas products that build up on certain carb parts that affect the proper flow at small throttle.
I use Lucas fuel injector cleaner in every third tankful on my SL55 AMG Mercedes to good effect. actually smooths out upshifts on small throttle (better engine response after shift interruption), Wish I had the double clutch trans.

FOG

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was going to sell my bike cause I don't ride it enough. But I had to idle it up a bit because it was running too low RPM (Probably filthy carbs). Only had a couple of lookers and no takers. So I think I've decided to just keep it, at least for now. I'm having too much fun riding.

Added 2 ounce per gallon Seafoam (it said to do that on bad cases). And halfway through the tank of gas it is now idling up. So I have been turning the idle back down, little by little. It seems to run much better also. My next tank I'll only use 1 ounce Seafoam per gallon which is standard.

Today, it died several times when I first tried to put it in gear (I was thinking carb-job was eminent). About the 3rd time I started it though, it ran perfect. In fact, the idle was a little higher. I think the Seafoam may have blew something out of the reticulum combobulator, or perhaps the warp nacell engaged, unsure. I think the Seafoam really is cleaning the carbs. It's perfectly ridable right now. It seems to run better every day I ride it. So I'm just going with that for now.

Just wondered what your experience with Seafoam is...
Did it help? How many tanks worth? How much did you use per gallon? Do you think it's bad for the engine? Any advice appreciated!
I am a huge fan of seafoam products, they work wonders for pretty much any engine gas or diesel 2 or 4 stroke. You can use it in your oil, your gas, and your intake/vacuum system. Personally I like the seafoam spray, which turns the regular liquid into an aerosol that you can spray DIRECTLY into your intake, which helps clean all internal parts of your intake/head. You could use it on the ninja by separating the front from the rear of the airbox, sliding off the filter, sticking the tube in, then pressing the filter back on for best engine performance. Then start it up and rev it up to low-mids idk like 3-5k and start spraying. Don't let it die you'll have to give it more gas. That'll give it a good clean and it won't hurt a thing. For best results, after normal cleaning (read bottle) you must let the engine die while you spray. It's called a hot soak. Oh yeah it's best to have the engine at operating temp before you start. It's available on amazon if you can't find any in store. ALSO, don't be alarmed if you get big clouds of smoke from your exhaust. That's all the carbon deposits being vaporized!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts