Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

There is all this JUICE and CRAP in my pistons in the front making them stick and this annoying noise when I ride, anyway I'm gonna tear the bastard appart in a sec and see if I can clean it so it can get its act together.

However, in case it doesn't I could just replace the caliper and call it a day or make it a long evening...

1) Anyone have aftermarket nicer ones?

2) Anyone know a good place that sell ones for our bikes ?

Thanks sirz and ladiez

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool thanks for the offer ... hopefully I can fix this... does anyone know how I can get these **** pistons out so I can clean them...

brake juice everywhere

buncha chewy brake sauce

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well I better get in a time machine...

Remove the cover from the Master Cylinder on the Handel bar.

Attach the C clamp to one of the pistons but don’t squeeze it. Pump the lever on the bar slowly to push out the other piston almost all the way. Put the C clamp on that piston and push out the other one.

Remove both pistons by hand.

Remove all the rubber part from the caliper, the seals are in the grooves in the caliper and dull pointed thingy will get them out easy.

Disconnect the caliper from the brake line.
notice how dude wrote "Handel" *gayest composer ever...

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
K back - now the question posed is, if teh pistons aren't removable with the above given method(fearfully because of binding). is there another way? these puppies aren't comin out too far

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Heat the caliper(not the pistons),apply WD40 liberally,hook it up to your air compressor at 100 psi.One of them will fly out at about a zillion miles per hour.Clamp a block of wood or something over the vacant hole and hit it with air again.The other piston should fly out..This is the dangerous method.

Safer method is to use a grease gun instead of air.This is the messy method.

I used method #1 once,never again.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Well,maybe not a zillion,but it can be dangerous.I got a lot of experience rebuilding the front calipers on my old BMW (car,not bike).Kind of a waste of time.Once they're rusted and pitted,they wear the seals out right quickly,causing the pads to drag and warping the rotor.You might be better off buying the one from Hooligan.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'll take a better look at the spare tonight and maybe take some photos to post, I'm pretty sure it's in very good condition. I would but new seals in any caliper I was putting on, this one hasn't seen use since I bought it last summer and who knows how long before that

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fog, you're right, it was a relatively painless job. getting the pistons out was only the hard part.... I ended up using an air compressor and it was not THAT fast, but we had it kinda low

and the victorious "AFTER" shot :)

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Congrats.Looks nice/no pitting.And,hey,no one killed or maimed with the air method.

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
If you followed my instructions they come out easilly.

FOG

1 - 13 of 13 Posts