Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I installed after market turn signals and got them wired up, but they blink rapidly like if one was out but both front and back blink fast here’s a snap of the wiring

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
it's because the wattage of the new ones is less than the stock ones. the flasher unit uses resistance to regulate the flash rate. lower wattage faster flash. it is the reason they flash faster if one bulb goes out.

in simple terms the unit thinks a bulb is out because both indicators are not drawing enough for two so it thinks only one is working.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it's because the wattage of the new ones is less than the stock ones. the flasher unit uses resistance to regulate the flash rate. lower wattage faster flash. it is the reason they flash faster if one bulb goes out.

in simple terms the unit thinks a bulb is out because both indicators are not drawing enough for two so it thinks only one is working.
What can I do? Modify the relay or buy a new one? Or something completely different

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
an electronic relay may work. or fit bigger bulbs if that is not possible (LED's) you could add a 30.Ohms resistor to each of the indicator power wires (one left one right).

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
What I did: Bought an adjustable blink rate electronic flasher on the 'bay. About $5-6. Replaces the original flasher and you can use a small screwdriver to adjust the blink rate from fast to slow.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I see, what would I have to do for the prongs to fit
These replace the original flasher. Plug-n-play. It's located on the right side of the frame just beneath the seat.

·
Registered
35 Posts
From the now non-functioning wiki that I loved and miss so dearly:

Older Models

First-generation and early second-generation bikes use a 3-wire flasher. The Tridon EP34 is a direct replacement for the stock flasher. EP34 "equivalents" (such as the Blazer FL34) have been known to not work properly. Try an actual Tridon EP34 if you have problems with an alternative brand.

Newer Models
Later second-generation bikes use a 2-wire flasher. Several online retailers sell electronic flashers which are a direct-plug replacement. Custom LED's ELFR-1 and SuperBrightLEDs's LF1-S-FLAT are two examples. Standard 2-wire electronic flashers will work also, but require modification to connect to the bike's wiring. You will most likely need to cut off the factory plug and install female terminals on the wires, which will then plug directly into the generic 2-wire flasher.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Search eBay for "3 wire led flasher" and you can buy whichever flasher type your bike has. Here is one example:

Rectangle Font Cosmetics Audio equipment Fashion accessory

I hope you shrink wrapped or otherwise insulated those connectors!

Reactions: bpe
1 - 10 of 10 Posts