Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had considered a Muzzy 2-1 exhaust for my '05 Ninja EX500 but the shop that was going to do the rejetting told me I'd see little (if any) HP - that really most of what it would do would be to make it noisy. Has anyone had experience with their bike with the stock exhaust then felt the difference after installation? Are there other after market exhaust options for this bike for a nice sound and additional HP?

Also, I have searched for no cut frame sliders for my bike and have yet to find them. Anyone know where these can be found?

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
530 Posts
Mostly what you'll get from an after market exhaust is sound, looks and weight reduction. It's a lot of work and money for little actual performance gain. Muzzy (2:1), D&D (2:1), and Sarachu (2:2) are the most common.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
348 Posts
See my sig for sliders!

I have the Muzzy 2-1. The difference you'll see is marginal in terms of HP gained (some say 2-3 at most). But because you're losing the weight of a dual-pipe exhaust, the bike will seem a little quicker. My first ride with the Muzzy, the rear felt much lighter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,526 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
348 Posts
Thanks Frog for the links. I'd still recommend seeing the thread in my sig as that one is my search from start to finish, with pictures and an instructional.

Here's my bike with the 2-1 exhaust. You might also be able to notice the rear sliders (mounted where the passenger pegs should be):

[attachment deleted by admin]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,526 Posts
eXce!!eNt said:
I'd still recommend seeing the thread in my sig

Me too :) There's much info to be found there
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
722 Posts
NinjaGirl said:
I had considered a Muzzy 2-1 exhaust for my '05 Ninja EX500 but the shop that was going to do the rejetting told me I'd see little (if any) HP - that really most of what it would do would be to make it noisy. Has anyone had experience with their bike with the stock exhaust then felt the difference after installation? Are there other after market exhaust options for this bike for a nice sound and additional HP?

Also, I have searched for no cut frame sliders for my bike and have yet to find them. Anyone know where these can be found?

Thanks!
you won't get any HP gain from aftermarket exhaust on the 500, you can gain 1 HP from doing the airbox mod (search because I am lazy right now :( )and thats about it really. Which is fine since the bike has plenty for its size, if you want to go really fast (the 500 will go faster than needed on the highway) then a 4banger supersport would be the cheapest alternative.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry, I am very new to all of this.

I see the link - are those the sliders you have on your bike, eXce!!eNt? The ones on the site aren't black, so I'm just curious. (I'd prefer black.)

With the exhaust I wanted cool sound :) and additional HP. The exhaust and rejetting together are too expensive to justify if it's really just changing the sound. Oh well...

Anyone have cool aftermarket exhaust with a sound recording I could hear? :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
348 Posts
NinjaGirl said:
I see the link - are those the sliders you have on your bike, eXce!!eNt? The ones on the site aren't black, so I'm just curious. (I'd prefer black.)
Ok, well if you visited the link in my sig, you would've come across ... well, just go to this link:
http://www.ex-500.com/index.php/topic,984.25.html

Yes, the sliders are black, or you can get "polished" sliders, but those are aluminum, and what you really want are high quality delrin sliders, which are the black ones I have on my bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry, went to the BRG Racing link...

Is there an advantage to having rear sliders instead of front ones? Also, do these allow rotation (do they roll freely)? A friend of mine has a bike he's dropped a lot and indicated it's better to have ones that rotate, as they will minimize the movement of a bike once it's down if they can rotate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
348 Posts
No, they don't spin in place. I don't know about your friend's theory... I can't see it making much of a difference. The only front sliders manufactured for the EX500 are from BRG, and they're ridiculously expensive. A lot of people opt for heavy duty bar ends which is what I grabbed. Alternatively, you could go the DIY path and mount front sliders, but I haven't had that urge just yet.

The bar ends stick out further on your handle bars, so if you ever have to lay the bike down, the brunt of the force will be exerted on the handle bars, which are cheap to replace compared to the upper fairing.

In the picture, I have mounted HVMP 16 oz. stainless bar ends.
Go here if you're interested: http://www.hvmp.com/kawasaki.htm
Opt for the Extra Heavy Bar End

[attachment deleted by admin]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
348 Posts
Jason said:
eXce!!eNt said:
which are cheap to replace compared to the upper fairing.
what you are trying to protect is the frame, the frame is way more expensive than your fairings.
Correct! That would be the idea behind the name frame sliders I suppose! But why not kill 2 birds with 1 stone? A lot of people use sliders to ensure their plastics aren't damaged either. Maybe that's a little too much "thinkin outside the box" for ya though.. ::)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,881 Posts
If you carry passengers, or might someday do so, then frame sliders are awfully slick for footpegs. The general recommentation is to cover them with skateboard grip tape. If you would do so then the color wouldn't matter. Maybe the skater tape comes in a variety of colors & perhaps textures.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
722 Posts
MrSciTrek said:
If you carry passengers, or might someday do so, then frame sliders are awfully slick for footpegs. The general recommentation is to cover them with skateboard grip tape. If you would do so then the color wouldn't matter. Maybethe skater tape comes in a variety of colors & perhaps textures.
it does come in a variety of colors, and possibly a variety of grit too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,288 Posts
ninja girl , did you check out the modified stock exhaust here yet? might be a easy way to change sound not sure how these sound compared to Muzzy's but I like mine :D
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top