Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ALL EXHAUSTS FIT ALL MODEL YEARS (1987-2009)

It is universally agreed in this forum, and through race testing (@fog), changing the OEM exhaust provides no worthy power gains over Fog's Air box Mod with tuning, and may decrease performance. With some mods you can change the power band slightly. You will NOT need to change carburetor parts (i.e. Jet Kit) for exhaust swaps.
https://www.ex-500.com/threads/for-those-who-say-you-loose-power-with-aftermarket-exhaust-read-this.28514/

vs.

Dec 17, 2018

Since these things APIPEANDAJETKIT are marketed as hop ups and sold widely to unsuspecting folks, who just want their desire to make noise justified, I though a little explanation warranted.

When you put on the wonderful free flowing pipe. you really hurt you stock engine.

The EX has rather radical cam timing that is only possible because the restrictive stock mufflers help hold the gas charge in the cylinder allowing a greater incoming charge.

when you take that away (the back pressure) you don't get more power you loose some.

to help this condition a bit you use large fuel jetting, this results in the wrong mixture almost everywhere and does not help the problem much

The problem is one of resonance that puts high and low pressure point all along the pipe and when you get a low at the exhaust valve (with the pipe) all the new charge is sucked out and you get a giant flat spot in the acceleration curve.

There really is no fix for this and a pipe applied to this engine requires serious changes to the cam timing and will only work at a more narrow range of RPM and throttle .

in short Kawasaki spent a lot of time and money to make this engine produce the hp it does (more then 100 hp per liter) and still be drivable on the street

If you think you can do better , you're wrong.

FOG
There are no scientific studies I was able to find for or against this belief. I understand you may believe this is fact, but the physics of sound waves and directional travel would contradict this. At the end of the day it's your money, spend it how you want.
Benefits of changing your exhaust
An improved look/individuality because beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Different sound because you don’t “enjoy” the factory sound. Weight loss because less weight takes less energy to get the same speed. (For some of us it’s cheaper to lose weight on the rider end though) Potentially easier access to the chain for regular maintenance (2-1 parked on the right side).

If you replace the entire system be sure to replace the copper gaskets (Part #11009-1840). Most new systems will come with them but used ones may not.

Caution: Some full system exhausts may eliminate the ability to use your center stand and/or lower cowling.
Caution: 2-1 exhausts existing on the right side will cause the center stand to hit the chain. You will need to figure out a way to deal with this. Check out the bracket in the LASER brochure (in post
#10) for an idea.
Disclaimer: I have not personally installed any non-OEM exhaust on my motorcycle. All compatibility writing contained here is based on feedback found throughout the forum. I am not responsible if your parts don’t fit the way you want.

Current Production
Delkevic (2-1 & 2-2) $$
- Full system Delkevic US Full Exhaust Systems | Kawasaki | 2009 | GPZ500S EX500C(1987-2003)
o All images on the website show lower cowl and center stands.
- Muffler/Slip On Delkevic US Silencer Kits | Kawasaki | 2009 | GPZ500S EX500C(1987-2003)

Hindle (2-1) $$$
- Full System Hindle Performance: Kawasaki EX500 Front Section
o No images, but forum reports no loss of center stand or lower cowl.
Full system doesn't appear to come with mufflers
- Mufflers available to fit the full system only

Predator (2-2) $$$
- Full System Kawasaki GPZ500S Exhaust, Kawasaki GPZ500 Exhaust, GPZ500S, GPZ500, GPX500 Exhaust, EX500 Exhaust, EX500, GPX500
o Claims to function with stand and fairings.
o UK Based company, unsure if they have importers to the USA.
- Mufflers also available Kawasaki GPZ500S Exhaust, Kawasaki GPZ500 Exhaust, GPZ500S, GPZ500, GPZ500 S Exhaust, GPX500 Exhaust, GPX500, EX500 EXHAUST
o Only manufacturer that seems to also make replica stock exhausts. These may not function/sound exactly as stock. KAWASAKI GPZ500 silencers, KAWASAKI GPZ500S exhaust, marvin exhausts, marvin silencers, marvin replica silencers, KAWASAKI parts

Exhausts from/for the Kawasaki ER5 (All years) will fit the engine. These exhausts may require the modification of the center stand or fairing.
- Motad 2-1 (Current production)

Any number of “universal” style mufflers from @MOTORCYCLEiD/amazon/eBay/etc.
  • D&D: Full system does not come with mounting brackets to reposition the lower fairing, also does not work with the center stand.
  • Jardine: 2-1 that runs on the left side. Came with center stand stopper. Unknown if able to keep lower cowling.
  • Micron Exhaust
  • Muzzy’s: Website appears broken when clicking on Kawasaki brand name. I was unable to find a list of any available units at all.
  • Vance & Hines: Rumored to keep your center stand and lower cowling (with some trimming)
  • Yoshimura
  • Cobra
  • Sarachu
  • Kerker (By Supertrapp)
  • Yoshimura
  • Laser Exhausts (UK based): 2-1 compatible with center stand
  • 2 Brothers: Only 1 mention on the forum, no other confirmation
If anyone has images of the discontinued exhausts on their bike I encourage you to post them in this thread. This will give people a 1 stop place for their exhaust questions.
Posts of video with sounds of your aftermarket exhaust would also be welcome to assist in answering questions.

Last Updated 3/23/2021

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
D&D 2-1 Sound Clip. Also found Carbon fiber full system on 58cycledotcom. According to the website it will not work with center stand or fairing. The video for the sound shows the owner was able to keep the fairing on the bike. It may have required modifications or may melt the plastics as we don't get an update after riding.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Delkevic Stubby 14" Stainless Oval Muffler sound clip. According to the description this is muffler change only, and the baffles are completely removed.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Delkevic Full System SS70 9" Stainless Oval Muffler and Stainless 2-1 headers sound clip.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yoshimura E47 A&D 2-1, though I'm not sure if this is the exact model for our bikes. It is difficult to find information on the model.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sarachu exhaust. The videographer eludes to it being a full system (2-2) in his description though it is never explicitly stated. Good walk around the bike and sound clip.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
you don't have the Motad 2 into 1 in your clips. when I get the gen 1 out in a week or so (depends on the weather) I'll shoot a video of it running with the Motad on. also you need a stock pipe to compere the the other (loud exhausts) as a comparison so I will do one on the gen 2 as well.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't even have the Motad in my no longer made spoiler. Also hadn't considered stock as I ASSuMEd the reader would have a stock bike. That was definitely my mistake. Thanks for looking out!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I didn't even have the Motad in my no longer made spoiler. Also hadn't considered stock as I ASSuMEd the reader would have a stock bike. That was definitely my mistake. Thanks for looking out!
the Motad is still being made for the Kawasaki 500 twin granted not the EX but the pipes off the ER 500 are almost identical and fit straight on.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the Motad is still being made for the Kawasaki 500 twin granted not the EX but the pipes off the ER 500 are almost identical and fit straight on.
I put it in the current production section. I put a disclaimer for the fairing and center stand. Is the frame for the ER500 more durable? I was looking at parts diagrams and it looks like it is round instead of square.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
yeah it seems to be a bit different. it's built by tube section as you say also has a centre spine and twin shocks. but it is a naked bike so no fairings it does have a centre stand although I have no idea whether it parks on the left like the EX or the right side. the stock exhaust on the ER is a 2 into 1 pipe but it does fit the EX as a few UK owners have fitted one in the past. (EX parts are harder to come by than the ER) as it was a more popular bike.

·
Registered
19,488 Posts
Just a comment , All of the above will cost you power, they make noise is all. and frankly the EX twin with it's even firing pulsed sounds lousy . just a flat boring drone.
SO other that the ground clearance and weight advantages to the various pipes don't waste you money. unless you hate your neighbors..

FOG

Reactions: Elsevere

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
fair comment only don't forget you have to factor in availability and cost. a lot of these bikes have beat up exhausts. when doing one up replacing the pipes is a must. the cost of new ones from Kawasaki probably cost more than the bike is worth. used ones are usually beat up like your own. or good ones cost more than decent after market one. yes you may lose a couple of HP but unless you race it will make no difference commuting daily.

·
Registered
5 Posts
fair comment only don't forget you have to factor in availability and cost. a lot of these bikes have beat up exhausts. when doing one up replacing the pipes is a must. the cost of new ones from Kawasaki probably cost more than the bike is worth. used ones are usually beat up like your own. or good ones cost more than decent after market one. yes you may lose a couple of HP but unless you race it will make no difference commuting daily.
I'm ready to paint the stock mufflers black on a 2002 EX (I'm not a shiny chrome type person). I made some custom mounts since I took off the passenger pegs and mount. If I could find a short sleeve with maybe a 30 degree bend that would suit me since it would make the upward angle a little more pronounced. The first thing I did when I bought the bike was to remove the center stand and have some spools welded for a proper work stand. All plastic is gone except for a modified front fairing. It has been bobbed with a single seat while keeping all original lenses. I think I have maybe $50 in costs and 20 hours of labor but the bike now suits my aesthetics.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
if your painting the exhaust use extreme temperature paint. and if you intend to cover chrome there is a process you have to follow or the paint won't stick. yeah it looks fine until something rubs it then the paint just rubs off. (don't ask how I know) and as for the centre stand delete good luck with that when you have had the bike on the road for quite a while you will regret that mod I can assure you of that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
if your painting the exhaust use extreme temperature paint. and if you intend to cover chrome there is a process you have to follow or the paint won't stick. yeah it looks fine until something rubs it then the paint just rubs off. (don't ask how I know) and as for the centre stand delete good luck with that when you have had the bike on the road for quite a while you will regret that mod I can assure you of that.
Thanks for the reply. There are lots of opinions on prepping and painting chrome curing and even a primer. The bike hasn't had a center stand since 2003 but I've not ridden it more than perhaps 3K per year. and only locally (four mile radius). I could walk home and retrieve my spool stand in a tire or chain emergency I hated that bulky stand. My design for the spools was pretty ingenious and inexpensive. Prep work on the chrome will be meticulous and thorough but I'm prepared to do regular little touch ups with road debris nicks for sure. Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts