Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

Air filter disintegrated... Particles sucked into the carbs?

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  ducatiman 
#1 ·
So this is a 2006 Ninja EX500 that I just purchased. It's really running decent but not great and thought I needed to do the routine maintenance stuff. So when I pulled the air filter it was almost completely disintegrated. And I'm not sure what to call it, the second stage of the air box? Is full of air filter particles.
So what do I do at this point? Just get a shop vac and suck it out and then blow it out and slap a new filter in there? Or do I need to worry that some of it got into the carbs? Like I said, it's running decent and I still have to change the oil, check and maybe replace plugs, adjust pilot screws, adjust idle, and sync the carbs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated......
Additional info:
It has 4,500 miles on it. The seller had the carbs cleaned. It is getting poor gas mileage (32mpg). Sometimes when I come to a stop, it will stay at a high idle (3000rpm) even though I have adjusted it to about 1300rpm. I have removed the orange disc in the gas cap. I fixed a kinked vacuum hose to the petcock. I took the petcock apart and cleaned it. It accelerates pretty good I guess (I am a NooB and this is my 2nd bike after having a gw250.) Any other questions I need to answer, let me know and thanks for your help.

#2 · (Edited)
The seller had the carbs cleaned.
And failed to diagnose/replace a rotted air filter? Reveals his need to get it running and sell the bike, yet invest nothing in interest of the bikes long term needs.

At minimum suggest carb pull/proper clean, synch, setup, etc. Air box clean (in place or removed, whatever works), revue integrity of spark plug/caps....and longer term a valve clearance check as soon as convenient. get that all accomplished then Fog mod the airbox....done correctly, you'll be rewarded with an instant starting, smooth running little rev monster.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.