Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,791 Posts
careful, the listing you reference specifies for Keihin FCR's (look all the way at the bottom) with no other fit listed....and appears way too long

Browse this phrase on ebay, Google also brings it right up.... under $7 each.......add $2 shipping,
a reasonable price
"Car Idle Mixture Screw Set for Harley 90-06 CV & CVK 34-36 Keihin Carburetor"

If you get em, please report your findings

ETA...Kawasaki CV34mm is also *specifically* listed in the HD unit I'm referencing, though they picture the oring, washer and spring assembled in wrong order. :surprise:

·
Super Moderator
14,791 Posts
Correctimundus

And the HD one I referenced would def fix the EX

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Went ahead and snatched up two of em should be arriving by mid may so I'll report back then :)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,326 Posts
Since there is only 1 correct adjustment for those screws, any means of easily/rapidly adjusting them is redundant, save your money for something you need

FOG

·
Super Moderator
14,791 Posts
If OP so inclined, allow him freedom to do so without micro-scrutiny. $14 not exactly gonna break the bank, I think we've seen a lot more time, effort and $$ wasted on bling type "mods".

·
Registered
503 Posts
I found that we would make adjustments a few times a year as the temps change. Going from cool spring weather to hot mid-summer temps and back to cool spring weather (and maybe winter-blend gas) would require some idle mixture changes for optimum idle and low speed running.

After burning my fingers more than a few times (precise adjustments must be made hot) I've often wanted an easier/less painful way.

I may check into the availability for some of our carbed dirt bikes, as I was making adjustments this weekend. Some of the adjustment screws are even more challenging to get to than the ones on the EX.

·
Registered
19,326 Posts
Fine I agree.didn't mean to discourage experimantation, but $15 to replace a screwdriver?
FOGBONES came about after I made a fully adjustable set and spent hours of track time fiddling with all sorts of different lengths only to discover when ever it felt right is was always the same length. and the adjustable ones were expensive to make and hard to keep set right. Hence the fixed length (RIGHT) ones evolved.

FOG

·
Super Moderator
14,791 Posts
May research a set for the Mikuni downdrafts on my Pewcati. WTH...$15 is chicken fard, er food.

Factory Pro gets $45/pair plus shipping. :eek: Admittedly, that IS over the top. Gotta do my homework.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do find that with the extreme temp changes that occur during the day early spring and late fall here at the very top of Maine the bike does seem to change a bit as air density does. Will run fine through most of the day but when the sun goes down and temps drop severely the bike acts like I've just handicapped it. Don't figure I'll be messing with it excessively once I get it set correctly but this should in theory atleast make adjustments easier when I do need to make them.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Those of us who have seasons and elevation changes need externally adjustable slide needles.

Will be in the garage working on that...

·
Registered
503 Posts
I have a small frathead that I cut the handle down to size on, I never have any issue getting it in there if I need to. The screwdriver that is.

·
Super Moderator
14,791 Posts
ordered an extended pilot screw listed for a certain Sorezooki (but intended for my Pewcati SS).....thread pitch differs greatly between Keihin and Mikuni pilot screws, as well as total length and general tip placement.
Kind of improvising, breaking new ground as there are no specific listings for pilot screws on the Mikuni's used in the Ducati application.

·
Super Moderator
14,791 Posts
1 arrived for my older carbed Ducati today. Its a fit. Mikuni uses a much finer thread than Keihin.

Now knowing its correct, ordered up a 2nd and will install upon arrival.

·
Super Moderator
14,791 Posts
Be advised, my 2nd batch (4 total) for EX/Keihin application, I've discovered today did not fit, poor machining of shaft, tip and threads. I did not force, in any way. Opted to reinstall originals back into carb set.

In view of very poor quality control with these (my first batch fit fine) offered from the Far East market....... I'd advise any users to be super careful. If *any* resistance felt upon threading or washer install....immediately stop, do not force, before any thread damage occurs. Contact seller, demand refund.

Reactions: bpe
1 - 20 of 28 Posts