Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully Carburetors is the right category for this question. I need to replace the ducts that connect the airbox to the carbs on my 500R. There are two, one for each carb. Partzilla has a diagram showing the part but also lists two part numbers with different suffixes. Is that a different part number for left vs right? Diagram below, its the 14073 part but at the bottom it shows 14073A / 14073-1293 and 14073B / 14073-1295.
Font Parallel Drawing Auto part Gesture

· Registered
2,820 Posts
basically yes you need one of each, as the hoses are handed.
the holes in the airbox are wider than the carb inlets so bend inwards but the airbox fixing is on an angle so the rubbers are different for each carb.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
basically yes you need one of each, as the hoses are handed.
the holes in the airbox are wider than the carb inlets so bend inwards but the airbox fixing is on an angle so the rubbers are different for each carb.
Ok, thanks - I haven't removed them from the airbox yet and thought they looked the same, but didn't do a detailed exam yet. I might get away with only replacing one of them, are there any other part diagrams that identify which is right vs left?

· Administrator
07 Ducati SS800 '95 Ducati 900SS/SP '19 Honda CBR650R
16,506 Posts
Submit you are misreading the parts manual......2 each of 14073-1292 are required. Seem to be identical, according to book. Look again.

Also assure your (important) "J" shaped crankcase vent tube is present.

Reactions: haybaler

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Submit you are misreading the parts manual......2 each of 14073-1292 are required. Seem to be identical, according to book. Look again.

Thanks for the feedback and corrections.

Not sure about the J shaped tube, will have to look for it.

I don't have a service / repair / parts manual and can only go from internet lookups that can be incorrect and confusing. On this parts diagram page for the "Aier Cleaner" at partzilla.com (Kawasaki Motorcycle 2004 OEM Parts Diagram for Air Cleaner | Partzilla.com) the #'s listed are only the prefix number. In the part list on the side it has suffixes and there are three of them listed which made it really confusing.

· Registered
2,820 Posts
yeah glad the confusion has been cleared up, my bad I failed to look up the Kawasaki gen 2 parts list. it does indicate both rubbers are the same and sold in pairs. although what I find strange is my gen 1 (1990) clearly has the rubbers embossed with a "L" and a "R" on those parts.

· Administrator
16,506 Posts
'90 US model shows 2, both identical, same exact p/n posted as above

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
'90 US model shows 2, both identical, same exact p/n posted as above
Oops, I didn't even put the year in - its a 2008 500R. Hope the part number is still 2 of 14073-1292? ... :)

All but fuel system (tank->carbs), from sitting too long, are in excellent / near-mint condition, 1100 miles. Yes, you read that mileage correctly.

I check the old ducts and see if the part # or L/R is stamped on. Have to inspect them, as I recall one might be okay - you can probably guess which one.

There are a lot of EX500 parts on ebay and amazon but comments in some parts I've seen say parts don't fit - (not necessarily these duct parts).
Any consensus on buying from ebay/amazon?

· Administrator
16,506 Posts
same p/n....identical, no change

· Tanker Clown
8,910 Posts
Nothing wrong with buying a good used part from eBay, done it many times for several different bikes.

Buying a Chinesium pattern part? Whole different deal. You might get lucky and get a good one that fits (they do exist) or you might get one that isn’t even close.

Not all Chinese parts suck but it depends on who made them. Some completely suck. Some are very good.

I’ve had some very good experiences with companies/people who actually respond to emails and stand behind their parts. I’ve also had the complete opposite of that.

What I’m saying is, it’s a crap shoot. Check Ron Ayer’s online and see if they’re still available and how much for a new old stock OEM part is. You might be surprised.

· Registered
1 Posts
Hopefully Carburetors is the right category for this question. I need to replace the ducts that connect the airbox to the carbs on my 500R. There are two, one for each carb. Partzilla has a diagram showing the part but also lists two part numbers with different suffixes. Is that a different part number for left vs right? Diagram below, its the 14073 part but at the bottom it shows 14073A / 14073-1293 and 14073B / 14073-1295.
View attachment 57467
I picked up a “88 500r a couple days ago and had the same thing messed up they were all deformed so I just heated them up with a butane torch and went around them with a screw driver and they fit right back up to the carbs 👍 hope this will help someone

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I picked up a “88 500r a couple days ago and had the same thing messed up they were all deformed so I just heated them up with a butane torch and went around them with a screw driver and they fit right back up to the carbs 👍 hope this will help someone
Hmm, thanks for the tip - hadn't thought of that. So a heat-gun (Its like a hair-dryer only much hotter) might work, avoiding flames. I've only used propane torches, they have super hot flames not sure if its hotter than butane. But I had already went ahead and ordered the ducts from a place on eBay, should arrive today. Hoping they are the right ones. If not I'll try your method.

· Administrator
16,506 Posts
a net search yields plenty of various methods to "restore" hard or twisted rubber parts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Is the "J" shaped part you are talking about the one marked 92059E in the diagram?
Jaw Gesture Font Rectangle Art

What is the purpose of it?

I think this was laying in the bottom under the airbox when I was disassembling things and remember the place I had do a carb clean balance and tune mention it laying in the bottom when they worked on it.

Now that I'm putting all of it back together, I remembered you mentioning a "J" shaped tube and think this must be it.

But I believe this might never have been connected or fell off, or never reconnected at the first dealer service.

Not sure how it is important it could be if it was running fine without it?

· Administrator
16,506 Posts
^ correctimundus

without = an open avenue for intrusion of water/dirt contaminents

with = a sealed working, clean system utilizing airbox intake pulses, removing blowby gases from crankcase

DEFINITELY account for it, replace if missing. Gotta wonder how many are (and remain) routinely "missing in action" these days.

• Helpful
Reactions: FlipFlop

· Registered
2,820 Posts
yeah it goes between the airbox (btm) port and the crankcase breather plate, you need this piece in place, as this innocuous little rubber bit has many functions, off the top of my head that I can think of are.
venting the pressurised crankcase gasses into the airbox (thereby increasing the pressure inside the box).
prevents any debris entering the crankcase.
preventing oil mist exhausted from the crank plastering the top of the engine and btm of the carbs.
allowing any accumulated oil in the airbox to drain back to the crank.
and it can assist in preventing carb icing when the engine is hot in cold weather by providing hot gasses into the airbox to be recirculated via the carb inlets.
there are a few more but enough to understand why it was put there in the first place, and why it should be connected.

Reactions: bpe
1 - 18 of 18 Posts