Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be brief. After sanding all over with 220 paper until the gelcoat was dull, I washed the fairing. Then I clamped the windscreen in place and inked in the location of the front 6 mounting holes. You'll want to protect the windscreen with masking tape or it will get scratched by the fiberglass. When I was satisfied with the marked locations I drilled the center of the hole marks with a drill bit slightly larger than the screws. After bolting it in place with the front 6 screws I marked and drilled the last 2 holes near the mirror mounts. I did so because the mirror mount flanges were too flexible without the windscreen. I sanded the fuzz left on the inside of the holes with 150 sandpaper to remove it. These photos were taken after the fact BTW.

Next I drilled the rear mounting holes with a 1/4" bit. These were straightforward, just center the bit in the depression and drill slowly.

The front mounting holes are 160mm apart and centered in the slight depression left from the mold, which was almost accurate. I needed to egg the holes a bit to make it fit.

Marking the mirror mounts, I used the rubber insulators in the approximate position and drew the locations. A 3/8" drilling was a little small, so I wrapped a dowel with sandpaper and enlarged them a bit.

So far it's been tedious but not difficult. The drilling chipped the gelcoat around the edges of the holes in a few places that wouldn't be covered by screw heads. If you're not concerned about the closeup appearance just prep for paint, otherwise you can put a dab of bondo on the chip divots and sand flush then ream the holes when dry.

Next is fabrication of a headlight bracket, to attach to the instrument frame. Since I'm at it, I'll post a pdf of the pattern for others changing their fairings or making streetfighters.

[attachment deleted by admin]

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Mounting the fairing, the mirror holes were still a bit snug and needed to be sanded out some more. The rear tabs on the frame/tank needed to be adjusted, I bent them into compliance with the holes in the fairing; since the bike had been dropped I suspect the tabs had been bent anyway. Also I haven't covered the installation and drilling of turn signals, which by now should be something you could handle similar to what's already been done. I'm going with signals off a 636, DOT-legal and less '80-ish (500r's got the same signals as my '85 Ninja 900!).

An important step before painting is letting the new fairing adjust to the bike. On a warm day I put the fairing on the bike sitting in the sun. Fiberglass is flexible with heat, plus it shrinks when being formed in the mold. It won't be a perfect fit while "green" but this lets the part become shaped to the bike over time.

Since I plan to modify the fairing I'll stop here, I'm not going to describe the painting process.

Hopefully this thread will help others decide if getting an Airtech for the street is something they want to tackle. For the track-only bikes I would get one without the headlight cutout and follow the description above.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Your work is much appreciated.
I may go the Airtech route. I was hoping on getting a used fairing that was broken on the side opposite mine but the asked/shipped price has been too steep for an experiment so far.

A suggestion to avoid chipping around the holes is to use brad-tip drill bits & maybe faster rpms.

·
Registered
192 Posts
that will be really helpful!!! keep us posted with pics and descriptions

shouldnt there be a section of this site devoted to pdfs and diagrams? i read about a ton of people who are going to make these diagrams but i never see them come to fruition, am i looking in the wrong places?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Can't wait to see how this turns out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts