Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering who out there has used them ,and if u have any tips,tricks,or fitment help to share. Im installing a front cowling and full lower fairing. Upper fairing and front fender were damaged in a deer accident, and I liked the look of the lower. I figured since I have to paint parts that I would change the color of the bike. I will post some pics of the fairings and the project . Brian

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Fit everything first. Drill out the required holes and make sure you leave a clean edge. Gel coat shatters fairly easily.

Wet sand and let dry before priming. Don't rely on the primer that comes on the parts. That will give you plenty of time to look over every inch for pin holes. Fill your pin holes before priming.

Once you have the holes drilled, and everything primed make sure to tack rag your parts before spraying. About it really. Air Tech stuff is good quality and doesn't require all that much prep.....sean

·
Registered
396 Posts
I always liked the looks of that Airtech full lower fairing as well. One trick I learned while fitting fiberglass parts on cars was that, if necessary, you can use a hot air gun to carefully "adjust' the shape a bit to get the fit of the parts as perfect as possible. Even quality stuff like Airtech warps a little when it comes out of the mold. Be as fussy and as patient as you can be at the fitting stage because any imperfections will stand out more after the final color is applied.

I'll be interested to see how your project progresses.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got a little bit done today on the upper fairing. Windscreen and headlight mounts pretty much done. The pointy windscreen studs were the PO's donation lol. Headlight mounts were cannibalized from factory fairing and are epoxied in now I'm gonna glass them in before final fitment. Definitely easier than fabing my own . Paint will be done by my stepfather he's a retired paint and body man . I'll be using matrix 2k urethane primer and clear. The paint is deltron 500 sun fire rust with copper flake . I happened into the paint for free at 144$ a quart I was happy lol.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I need a new front fairing and love that full lower one too! Will be interested to see more of your work, the windscreen looks great. Unsure of my skills so been holding off on the purchase.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I need a new front fairing and love that full lower one too! Will be interested to see more of your work, the windscreen looks great. Unsure of my skills so been holding off on the purchase.

The front fairing is fairly easy. Only real problem I had with it was getting the reveal to match stock. It was a pretty simple fix light sanding test and repeat lol. Then repeat some more . Mirror mounts are not drilled but easily seen through the gel coat. That's the first holes I drilled . Bottom fairing stay holes were next and u can mark them from the inside . I decided to drill them a touch bigger than stock as it allowed to tweak the bottom around a bit. One thing to be considered is the airtech fairings are considerably thinner . As the lower bolts ride on a grommet there is slop in the connection . I'm probably gonna remedy mine with some rubber washers to allow movement . I am by no means a body man lol I'm a electrician by trade 27 years so I'm familiar with most tools . My stepfather is a retired body and paint guy so I got allot of experience in that as well . I think if u have a general knowledge of the tools required ud be all right . The good thing is its glass so if u F up a bit u can fix it for 20 buck price of some glass and resin . I'll post again about the lower fairing that's what I'm on now . Hope this helps someone else like me who was looking for info. PM me if u got questions I would be glad to help where I can .

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry when I mentioned the reveal I was talking about the headlight. The rest is pretty much predetermined

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Fiberglass and gelcoat, both being more rigid than the OEM ABS fairings, I would place a thin piece or rubber between the fairing and hard (metal) mounts if possible, as a cushion and slight vibe absorber. You can cut pieces from an old inner tube, even a bicycle tube will do.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fiberglass and gelcoat, both being more rigid than the OEM ABS fairings, I would place a thin piece or rubber between the fairing and hard (metal) mounts if possible, as a cushion and slight vibe absorber. You can cut pieces from an old inner tube, even a bicycle tube will do.
Spot on there . I think even going a bit thicker isn't out of he question. With the difference in thickness between OEM and glass some hardware store rubber washers will work great. Probably won't have more than a couple bucks spent in total. When u consider the 2 fairings with shipping were half a grand it's a drop in the bucket. Brian

·
Registered
396 Posts
If the Airtech parts are that much thinner, you could maybe build up the thickness and reinforce a bit with a patch of cloth and resin at each fastener location? Using rubber washers is for sure a good idea but you will need to locktite the bolts because you won't be able to torque them like with the stock ABS parts. Have you considered using Dzus fasteners for the bottom fairing? That would add time and $$ to the project but would sure be handy for getting the bottom half off in a hurry.

You're lucky to have an experienced paint guy in your corner. That's the trickiest part of the whole job.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like it the look of those fasteners . Definitely would take a little cutting and welding ,but not out of the realm of possibility. I was trying to think of a way to turn the factory mounting point into some sort of nylock fastener. So fairing bolts could stay seated without being bottomed out ,but not have to be recoated everytime they are removed. I see ur point with the rubber washer letting the bolt possibly back out due to vibe. Having a pro painting is definitely a plus ,but my prep work gets picked apart lol.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry about the delay we've had some nice weather here so have been hard at it. The full lower fairing left a little bit to be desired. Radiator mounts are in stone being recessed in the fairing. Which left the belly pan bolts about a 3/8 of an inch from the end of the fairing. . I glassed about an additional 3/4 to the end of the fairing. Also laid 5 more layers of glass to the nose which was maybe 3/16ths thick . Not huge problems but the lower was definitely not bolt on and ride. Also finished glassing in the head light mounts .I will post some pics of glass work tomorrow, but here's a little eye candy for now . What ya think.

Attachments

·
Registered
845 Posts
Nice color!

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice color!
Thnxs you gotta nice looking color as well
. Do u happen to know the color of ur bike? Mine is sun fire rust its actually a factory color for a 06 Nissan murano. Paint shop was trying to match a Kia color and it wasnt even close . Color gun gave this paint code lol. Ended up with a free quart.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Thnxs you gotta nice looking color as well
. Do u happen to know the color of ur bike? Mine is sun fire rust its actually a factory color for a 06 Nissan murano. Paint shop was trying to match a Kia color and it wasnt even close . Color gun gave this paint code lol. Ended up with a free quart.
It is supposed to be a Burnt Orange metallic color, like that of the Chevy HHR, but I don't know the year. It was applied on a white primer, with 4 layers of paint. In the first two layers the color was very clear, beginning to darken in the third layer. With the fourth layer of paint it was to my liking.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ive used them om my race bike 94 EX500 upper lower With oil catch and the one piece side and tail section Fitment is very good Just takes a month of Sundays for the order to ship Good quality Good stuff

1 - 20 of 30 Posts