Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally had the time to paint the bike. I still have a few mechanical things to do to it and will have to take it back apart but I just couldn't resists.

Here is what I was doing earlier today

Closeup of the paint once complete

And cause wanna see what it looked like together

I still have the rims to paint black, but I am waiting for my b-day gift before I do that. I am getting a set of stands ;D

·
Registered
326 Posts
Re: Almost complete

imo, colored wheels and new exhaust/sand rust on stock and what not = lookin good as new

also after seeing how awesome that came out doing it yourself, i really wanna do mine now. i can't get over it

·
Registered
2,526 Posts

It looks real good.

That will draw attention for sure ;)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks everyone.

I will be doing the wheels too, but they are going black. The only thing I will be adding is the Kawasaki name on the tank, Ninja on the upper or possibly lower fairing and 500 on each side of the tail, all in black vinyl. I was going to wait to have it all done before putting it together but having the body painted it was just screaming to be put together.

As for getting attention, that is the point. I want drivers to see me coming. I really could have gone flat black, but this is a bit "safer" of a color to go with in my opinion.

I am using car paint that I had made into spray cans. It is an orange that is used on the Lamborghini. It is a base of Orange, then I went 3 coats of the pearl/metallic then cleared it all. It is far from a perfect job, but I just wanted it to look good. Besides this is the bike I am going to learn on, so I will probably be making a few mistakes and didn't wanna screw up an expensive paint job.

Now the fiancé wants my bike when I buy a new one, hehe.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts

;) (Sent w/ humor)

·
Registered
326 Posts

sse1990 said:
Thanks everyone.

I will be doing the wheels too, but they are going black. The only thing I will be adding is the Kawasaki name on the tank, Ninja on the upper or possibly lower fairing and 500 on each side of the tail, all in black vinyl. I was going to wait to have it all done before putting it together but having the body painted it was just screaming to be put together.

As for getting attention, that is the point. I want drivers to see me coming. I really could have gone flat black, but this is a bit "safer" of a color to go with in my opinion.

I am using car paint that I had made into spray cans. It is an orange that is used on the Lamborghini. It is a base of Orange, then I went 3 coats of the pearl/metallic then cleared it all. It is far from a perfect job, but I just wanted it to look good. Besides this is the bike I am going to learn on, so I will probably be making a few mistakes and didn't wanna screw up an expensive paint job.

Now the fiancé wants my bike when I buy a new one, hehe.
what about doin the wheels the same color? that would look awesome. also, can you direct me to a good paint/clearcoat for me to paint my bike? well after seeing that sunkist can, go with blue wheels

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I thought of doing the rims the same color, but at 25$ per can it was a bit much, and only 7$ a can for the black. The black is actually gonna have a metallic in it also, so it should match the bike. I figure going black rims, it will blend with the tires.

As for paint, I just went to an auto body supply store and I found a color I wanted and had it mixed up.

·
Registered
326 Posts

sse1990 said:
I thought of doing the rims the same color, but at 25$ per can it was a bit much, and only 7$ a can for the black. The black is actually gonna have a metallic in it also, so it should match the bike. I figure going black rims, it will blend with the tires.

As for paint, I just went to an auto body supply store and I found a color I wanted and had it mixed up.
you got the paint, then transitioned it into spray cans, how did you go about doing that? or do you have a professional sprayer. i was thinking white with gold rims, black with red rims, or just a dark gray. those are the three schemes i'm torn between

·
Registered
381 Posts

I should be posting something like this soon. I went with the flat black and flat clear coat. Prepping the part for paint is pain staking.

·
Registered
326 Posts

i would rather pay 1/2 the price if not less to do it myself (of course it's not gonna be perfect or as good as paying 300+ bucks for a professional to do it) but it'd be something fun to do.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Pittsburgh Ninja said:
sse1990 said:

you got the paint, then transitioned it into spray cans, how did you go about doing that? or do you have a professional sprayer. i was thinking white with gold rims, black with red rims, or just a dark gray. those are the three schemes i'm torn between
Most of the Auto Body stores that sell paint will put it in the cans for you. I don't have a sprayer so that is why I had to opt for the cans. As you can tell I don't really have the best of setups either, but it works. Part of the painting it myself was the fact of how much less expensive it would be, but also that I did it. If I know I can do something I would rather do it myself. I spent probably 200$ on paint for the bike, and my own time, lol. Another reason I was going spray cans was that at the time of purchase I was in a retail job that I quit on Thursday and I start a new job on Tuesday. With the new job I would have the $$$ to have it done, but again, I like doing stuff like that.

Next on the list is adding an inline fuel filter, new spark plugs and most likely checking/cleaning the carbs, and possibly adjusting the valves.

·
Registered
33 Posts

Nice paint job! Definitely turned out nice. I would reccomend painting your radiator in the front a flat black color....it looks a little rusted. :)

·
Registered
2,526 Posts

sse1990 said:
The all black wheels will make your orange stick out even more, It will look great :)

At that point, you might want to look into an orange stripe circling the wheel, it might be a great addition ;)

·
Registered
261 Posts

Hotness.... and I see you use the same part hanging method I do. ;)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

surge2k said:
Nice paint job! Definitely turned out nice. I would reccomend painting your radiator in the front a flat black color....it looks a little rusted. :)
I already have some high heat flat black sitting there waiting to be used. All things I should have done, but couldn't wait to see what it would look like together. It will be coming apart again to do more work on it, but I will give it a few days for the paint to harden before taking it apart.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Well, I decided that Orange alone was not enough. SO I had the regular graphics done in black ( Kawasaki, ninja, 500), and I added a bit of purple to the mix. Here is what the bike looks like as of today. I ahve a few things left to do like put the front fender on, paint the rims and get a new rear tire.

I can't wait till I can take it out on the road. Only BIG thing stopping me is calling for insurance, I can imagine how much I will get raped, since my car insurance went up 35% due to a couple tickets. One good thing is that after April of 2008, 2 tickets will be off my license and there will only be one really small one left. I hope I don't have to wait till next spring to ride the bike though.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts