Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I just discover the magneto on the alternator rotor is broke, some magnets got loosen and broke damaging the stator coil.

The bike still starts but for a while and sudenly turns off.

My bike is a 1992 first gen(87-93) Ex500 and I was wondering if I can put a second gen (94-09) rotor/magnet?

I can´t find a first gen rotor/magnet on ebay, thats the problem. There is no problem with the stator coil I already found a new one.

Tha main difference is that the first gen use a 2 pickup coil setup for timming and the second one use only one pickup coil.

If there is anorther bike model, hoppefully one more modern model, with a magneto/rotor that would work for me please advice me.

·
Registered
19,434 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
yes the gen2 flywheel (the one Fog's holding up) fits but you have to modify the triggers on the out side this is a permanent fix for the gen 1 issue. you may also need another stator if it is damaged either generation are the same.
there are a few ways to modify the triggers in the HOW to section Fog has done one so have myself the measurements of the trigger once cut are critical however.
read both threads all the way through before starting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello,

Thanks both of you, now I know this is a common failure, whit a relatively easy solution, I have already read both threads completely.

I have the bike since last November (2019) and I im new whit this model, I see you have been helping people with this model for more than 10 years thats amazing, congrats. 👏

I have some ideas for this bike, like putting the hole fuel injection system from a Ninja650R and I would like to open a discussion about that. Are there threads about this? Before I open this thread I used the "Search Community" bar on the top of the page, but it doesn´t show any results so maybe you know better.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I have a gen 1 stator if you end up needed one, not sure what you ended up getting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks bro, but i whan´t to upgrade to the gen two design and avoid this happening again.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
hi the stator is the bit with the coils on that fits in the case yours is damaged as well as the flywheel (the one with magnets) the gen 1 and 2 are just the same only the flywheel is different. I would consider Kevin's offer if I was you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, you are right Yorkie, I was thinking on the rotor.
Anyway I first will look localy, I am from Costa Rica and shipping is an issue.

Yorkie, Fog or anyone who have deal whit this, I need your advice.

I just realice the magnet fragments could make its way to oil pan.

Do you recommend remove it and check?

I drain all the oil today and don´t see any fragments, neither when I pass a magnet on the oil.

What you think?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
hi sorry for the delay bud I somehow missed you post. now it depends on the amount of mangleness of the old flywheel and magnets if you have enough big pieces to just about fit it all back together then I would think you may be OK. if there are a lot of bits missing then sure take off the sump and clean it all out.
a couple of guys have had this some remove the sump some risk it. it is up to you if you have the old flywheel out and bikes stood there is nothing to lose doing the sump.
you know it is a shame really that this happens to gen 1's it is preventable. anyone with a gen 1 should buy and modify a gen 2 flywheel and fit it before the old one explodes. I did on mine 88k on the clock and the old flywheel was good still but you never know.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
It certainly wouldn't hurt to pull the pan and clean out the bits. However, the fragments are largely contained in the housing area of the flywheel as the oil return passage back to the block is small and what does pass through just settles to the bottom of the pan. Clean out what you can with the side cover off and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks both,

I´ll open the oil filter and check for fragments, I think if there is fragments there should be on the pan too.
Some magnet fragments were pulverized on small pieces, thats why I am worried.

Thanks for your comments again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts