Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi yall, I took the bike for a spin up in the hills today and it rode rough after 3000 ft. elevation. I bought the bike w/ after a market pipe on but it was having issue going over 80mph so I swapped the exhuast back to stock and it solve that issue. However, I haven't test it in higher elevation until today. The bike felt like it was studdering a little and loosing power when I twisted the throttle all the way...kind of like hitting the rev-limiter, bad fuel delivery, low fuel, etc. My guess is that the other owner messed up the jets when he installed the after market exhuast system. Since I don't know how to rejet the carbs, I was thinking about buying a used carb w/ stock jet settings and swap it to see if it'll solve the attitude issue but I'm not sure if it will work and how difficult it is to swap the carbs. Can anyone described a step by step removal and installation of the carbs? Are all the carbs compatible regardless of year? Is it easier just to pay the shop big bucks to get it fix i.e., rejetting? And any other ideas in regards to what may be the cause?

I've search the site but haven't really found any info yet....

All suggestions, advises and comments are welcome so thanks in advance.

·
Registered
192 Posts
just gotta find the perfect "jetting setting" thats probably the problem with the aftermarket exhaust too!

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
^ Pilot Jet that is...

Stock would be best for this situation. 3000 ft isn't too high, but with higher elevations the engine requires less fuel to run properly since there is less air. going to larger jets would be a step in the wrong direction.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the replies. Too bad I don't know anything about jet setting or I would take the carb apart and tinker with it but I found a cheap, untouch low mileage carb from a 95' EX but I'm not sure if it's compatible with my 92' EX. You guys know if all carbs are compatible? and for those that did the swapped, how difficult was it? Thanks!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Denver is exactly 1 mile in elevation 5,000 something feet, so altitude is definately not the issue...
my bet is for bad/low gas, did it sit with fuel in it for a while over the winter?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Before I came home after my last ride i was at this light, left...get gas, right...go home.
Sat it was freezing in NJ so I opened my face shield, reluctantly in the 40 deg weather.
shook the bike side to side to see if it there was something in there, I heard the slush
of gas in the tank and went home. Today I turned on the bike started going and the thing
sputtered then died...I opened the tank and it was almost dry.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
it should still be running even at that high an altitude either way just not too well, so i agree with you.

we're just not getting any responses here and shooting at the moon.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Knightslugger said:
eeeeehhhhhhh, you'd be surprised hollywood...
Agreed, because Colorado sells lower octane gas (85 octane), because octane is an inhibitor, and with thinner air, you don't need to inhibit combustion as much in an engine. That's at least how I understand it, and I could be wrong.

Here in Nebraska, I can't buy less than 87 octane.

i know octane ratings are also based on state emmission regulations too, though I don't know why more populated Colorado would allow dirtier emmissions than less populated Nebraska.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I road up to arrowhead lake last weekend, peak elevation was 6500 ft. The bike definitely got a little upset with the thin air, but everything was fine when I got back to sea level. Just another disadvantage of carbs I suppose.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I agree about the jetting being f'd up. I'm at over 5k and higher at times and never have altitude problems. The bike has a Muzzy (on there when I bought it FOG) and jetted carbs. Runs like a raped ape.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I live at about 2000 feet and regularly ride to 9000 feet with no problems whatsoever. Just did so today!

·
Registered
821 Posts
Well, I exaggerate (a little). Mt. Lemmon is 9157 feet. Tucson is about 2400 feet. But the highest part of the road I ride is somewhere around 8200 feet. Still, you can count on it being a good 30 degrees (or more) cooler up there than in Tucson. Last weekend I was up there and it was 49 degrees there, close to 100 down in town. There's even a little ski place up there. All this just a few miles from my doorstep!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts