131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I correct in thinking that the ignition interuption curcuits are ;
the engine stop switch,
the ignition switch,
the neutral switch,
the side stand switch,
and the starter lock-out switch?

The reason for asking is that after crashing hard at Oak Hill, I removed the engine and installed it on a shifter kart. But now I do not get any fire. Can anyone help or recomend a shop or individual that specializes in electronics in the Houston Texas area?

Thnaks...........

·
Registered
216 Posts
OK, to the best of my recollection (and this is for a '87):

The W/R wire from the IC Ignitor goes to the junction box (over bat) and then through 3 diodes and on to sidestand switch, clutch switch, and neutral switch. Any combination of these providing ground will allow Ignitor to energize and engine will run. So I believe just grounding the W/R wire will bypass all the safety circuits. I'm sure some of the racers on this forum have done this and can confirm.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dwengi! Thanks! That wad the answer I was looking for.

If you or any of your fellow ex'ers need 500 chassis parts, the ones I have are yours for the picking......

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have verified that energizing the circuit, the W/R wire is already -12.5 v. Is there ANYTHING else I can check that you know of. Does anyone know of a schematic that will bypass all of the non-essentials? Thanks for all the help.....

·
Registered
216 Posts
So is this wire connected to anything?

There must be an electrical guru here somewhere. Seems to me there is a solid state relay inside the CDI box which requires this wire be grounded to close relay and energize coils.

Also seems to me this wire will measure 12V (or -12V) with no current running through it.-

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hope one surfaces, otherwise I have to build my own harness from a schematic. Yuk what a pain...

That wire connects directly to the fuse block. I can energize the starter circuit which works if I bypass the starter lockout switch and neutral switch, but still no spark.

Is it feasible to test the stator and / or pickup for proper functions? Any idea on how?

Thanks....

·
Registered
216 Posts
If the engine cranks you have the safety switches disabled properly. The red wire (87-93) going to the ignitor should be hot. If so I would say pickup coil is bad.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was suspecting something like that. Is there any way I can test a pickup coil other than just replacing it?

If I have not told you, Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
follow the pick up coil wiring harness from the point where it leaves the alternator cover to the electrical connector, then disconnect the connector for the pick up coils. 500A models have two pickup coils and the connector will have four wires, whereas 500D and ER models have a single pick up coil with two wires leading to the connector.

set your multimeter to ohms. measure the resistance on the engine side of the wire connector. on A models, connect the meter probes between the black and yellow wire terminals of the connctor for one coil, then between blue and black/white wire terminals for the other coil. on D and ER models, you only have black and yellow. resistance for A models is 400-490 ohms. D and ER models is 360-540 ohms.

now set the ohmmeter on the highest resistance range. measure the resistance between a good ground and each terminal in the connector. the meter should read infinity.

if either test fails the coils need replaced. although check that the fault is not caused by corrosion in the connector, or a broken wire

:)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Drag..... All checked out well and I have made a perm. note of your instructions. I guess I will work backwards from there to try and determine the issue. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
no problemo.

i get home from class around 2 EST. ill post the ignition troubleshooting chart when i get home.

i THINK it works backwards from the plugs. ie:

first check plugs, then check wires, then ignition coils, then pickup coils, then IC igniter

but im not positive.

when i get home ill check the manual, and post here.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
ok it goes like this:

1 do the spark test that i described in the IC igniter thread.

if the spark is there, everything in the ignition system is gravy

2. no spark or weak spark
- check for poor contact at the plug cap and all ignition connectors. repair any that are damaged and recheck for a spark. if no spark exists. go to 3. if spark is weak (orange) go to 4.

3. check the operating condition of the following switches: a) neutral b) ignition c) engine kill

if they are okay go to 4. if not, replace and retest.

4. measure the ignition coil primary and secondary resistance. again, if it aint broke, dont fix it and go to 5. if it is broke, fix it and retest.

5. measure the pickup coil resistance as i described earlier. if its good, then carefully recheck everything, especially wiring and connections. if all components are good, consider the IC igniter defective by process of elimination.

if the readings for the pickup coil are incorrect, replace it and test again.

thats it!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Excellent! I will let you know! Thanks so much for the help. When it's running, come take a test ride....

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
i will! :)

where are you at? im in columbus ohio. home of the second best college football and basketball teams in the nation :-X

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
memphis is about half way. meet me at the home of the best BBQ in the nation, and possibly the world: Rendezvous BBQ :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Your directions were excellent! Because of them, I have narrowed the issue down to the key switch. My manual does not have 94 and forward data on the pin outs. (So I only connected the Br and W wires to give the circuit power.) That powers up the starter circuit ok, but not the ignition circuit. Any suggestions?

Thanks again for the expertise!

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
i think the white wire goes to the starter relay. the brown one goes to the junction box. IIRC, and according to the diagrams, there should be a gray one that goes to the IC igniter.

also, check your email (the one listed in your profile) i sent you a pdf file of the wiring diagrams, and some other stuff that may be helpful to you :)

the subject will say EX500 Electrical Files or something like that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts