Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19,368 Posts
I've said repeatedly on this forum that those muzzies are goin to getcha. It's just a matter of getting the language straight.

FOG

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
FOG said:
I've said repeatedly on this forum that those muzzies are goin to getcha. It's just a matter of getting the language straight.

FOG
factory 'hawgs' are louder than any muzzy could ever hope to be...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FOG said:

FOG
Yep, I've read your comments repeatedly. I'm glad I did too, or I would have been duped into the aftermarket exhaust frenzy! hahaha.

·
Registered
19,368 Posts
You guy's are really thick, "Muzzies" is a euphemism for any loud exhaust regardless of who's. Think about it.

FOG

·
Registered
19,368 Posts
Well normally they couch the terms of these ordinances as noise abatement policies, so any noisy thing is suspect. The Denver thing goes a bit further in singling out non Federal approved systems /Mufflers. That is very specific to motorcycles and for that reason will probably get shot down. The point is: the concerned citizenry is up in arms about the noise bikes make and will keep trying till they get rid of them. Bike that is.
Trust me, I was involved in local politics 30 years ago and this subject often came up. but it was always shot down on some minor technical issue. They will succeed. The more noise , all the more people make the faster it will happen.
Try to find a place to trail ride in some states, for example.

FOG

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
On one hand I'm a bit outraged that "bikers" get treated like this, but on the other hand FOG is starting to get through to me with the whole Muzzy thing and the fact that I don't need such loud exhaust (not that they're the worst thing out there, but they're a bit excessive in some situations). I'm starting to wonder if instead of just fighting tooth and nail to keep the right to do anything we want, what if we toned it down to the point where we were basically ignored?

Baha, good Lord I'm getting old!

So who's going to help me make aftermarket plaques that say "Approved Factory Exhaust" or the like and can be installed on Muzzies? ;) :D

S

·
0 Posts
Knightslugger said:
factory 'hawgs' are louder than any muzzy could ever hope to be...
Um False, maybe a 100+ Cubic inch vtwin with slash cuts straight of the engine otherwise the little EX500 takes the cake as excesivelly loud motorcycle with a "Muzzy" installed.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
OK ,my two cents on this, in my area of Nc. the little cars are the noise makers that are the worst , I live within a mile of a large Road here in town and it doesn't matter the time of year you always here the little ricer cars ,yes I do hear some bikes too ,but not as many ! I know some bikes are just way to loud and they should be held accountable but it shouldn't be Barny fifes job to decide this matter.We have yearly inspection for that here. I just think that most govt. should worry more about the people who are watching TV. while they are on the phone to whoever is more important than driving ,with their coffee in the other hand so they cant use there turn signals to switch over three lanes in rush hour traffic is more important than if a muffler is a little loud and they cant hear their phone call !

So I'm not going to argue that loud pipes get attention ,because they do or people wouldn't want to ban them! Notice I didn't say saves lives !

·
Registered
19,368 Posts
Your right but they don't give a rats ass about anything but getting re elected. and when you sound like your anti noise especially those auwfull motorcycles . you get votes.

FOG

·
Registered
14 Posts
What's wrong with people being able to clearly hear your bike? I like it when people can hear me coming because it gives them another way to know not to step out in front of me or pull out in front of me. Sure it might not make a difference when they have their windows up and are talking on the cell but anything that could potentially make me more likely to be seen is a good thing.

·
Registered
146 Posts
ocinfo3 said:
What's wrong with people being able to clearly hear your bike? I like it when people can hear me coming because it gives them another way to know not to step out in front of me or pull out in front of me. Sure it might not make a difference when they have their windows up and are talking on the cell but anything that could potentially make me more likely to be seen is a good thing.
Either that or you put them in a state of rage that makes them run you off the road or run you over. I think loud noise is bad. I think there should be a db limit. I think that it should be even across the board for all motor vehicles. Singling out specific vehicles in wrong and should not happen.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Most of the Harley guys I see with EXTREMELY loud straight pipes have a "loud pipes save lives" sticker on their plastic novelty (not legal) soup bowl helmets.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Billbo said:
Most of the Harley guys I see with EXTREMELY loud straight pipes have a "loud pipes save lives" sticker on their plastic novelty (not legal) soup bowl helmets.
what this thread is about is singling out motorcyclist to being treated differently about the noise of their vehicle (just the ones with loud exhaust anyway) so dose not matter if Harley or Ducati all the same ,helmets are another subj. and getting off subj. to that I believe its sort of like someone not wearing a seat belt , not gonna hurt me when they get injured for their lack of personal protection. so I'm not sure what your point is?

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
ommyt69 said:
Billbo said:
what this thread is about is singling out motorcyclist to being treated differently about the noise of their vehicle (just the ones with loud AFTERMARKET[/color] exhaust anyway) so dose not matter if Harley or Ducati all the same ,helmets are another subj. and getting off subj. to that I believe its sort of like someone not wearing a seat belt , not gonna hurt me when they get injured for their lack of personal protection. so I'm not sure what your point is?
Fixed.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Knightslugger said:
ommyt69 said:
what this thread is about is singling out motorcyclist to being treated differently about the noise of their vehicle (just the ones with loud AFTERMARKET[/color] exhaust anyway) so dose not matter if Harley or Ducati all the same ,helmets are another subj. and getting off subj. to that I believe its sort of like someone not wearing a seat belt , not gonna hurt me when they get injured for their lack of personal protection. so I'm not sure what your point is?
Fixed.
Good point. Looks like gutted exhaust might slide by based on labels alone ;).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts