Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #21
Reactions: FlipFlop

Registered
2009 Ninja EX500r
WOW! You have been busy with that Wing! That is a lot of investing going on there for sure!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #23
As a said earlier in this thread, it was 100% OEM, nothing had been to the bike except tires, and oil/filter, and cheap brake pads.

As the pictures show, I do major service, upgrades modifications over the winter/start of the season.

This year due to the stator needing replacement, it opened up a lot options with the motor out if the way.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #24
Just heard from @ducatiman the carbs are done, and he said it was challenge, but as always he came through.

Can't wait to see them.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
December 2017

After riding it for a few weeks in its current state, it's time to add my touches to make the bike mine.

This part is my favorite, as I'm sure you'll all agree. Personalize, upgrades, modifications, etc.

Let the fun begin 馃榿

As I said earlier, the Goldwing had issues, so the first things I did were minor.

First up, a K&N air filter

Then upgrade the headlight with a LED bulb
Halogen

LED

After that, I noticed that the radio sounded like crap. So I did some investigating, I found mismatched speakers, and both were wired to the left channel, an a very poor attempt at wiring and installation.

I picked a pair of Polk marine speakers.

All done, and sounds as good as it can, due to a 1984 head unit, but it does sound pretty good.

It's weird riding with music, like you have in a cage.

Attachments

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
January 2018

With the bike being an 84, it's had owners that didn't care about looks, and quality of workmanship.

As you can tell from the master cylinders cover fasteners.

Replacement stainless steel allen fasteners.

Since the Goldwing is made for touring, I added a cup holder of course 馃榿

I gotta say it's one of the best modification. It's awesome going down the road, and having a drink and the look of people in cars. 馃槺 Note the Polk audio logo on the speaker grills, above the Honda logo, looks OEM? I think so.

And to wrap up the month, the front looks. I got a pair of turn signal grills off eBay that were in perfect condition for my needs.

I painted the grills satin black, I also painted the inside of the turn signal housing to give them a darker look when it's parked.

And I added Gammatronix 12V LED MOTORCYCLE / BIKE Battery level and Charge monitor and a Ice Warning LED indicator alarm light low temperature.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
February/March/April 2018

So back in January 2018 I joined the Honda Goldwing Discussion Forum, Service Manuals, DIY How-To Articles and Much More 鈥 goldwingdocs.com forum, a lot of good information there that helped me out.

First up spark plugs, I believe these were OEM from 1984 as you can see in the photo.

The bike ran good, started right, and smooth.

As I read thru the DIY section, I saw that my model GW has some factory issues.

First up the stator connector, they corrode, which causes heat, melt and short out the stator. So I checked mine, and it was starting to melt, caught this just in time.

As you can see, it wasn't long for this world. Note the plain old connector, not sealed, waterproof, etc...

I replaced it with Metri Pack 280, sealed and waterproof, and can handle the output of the stator.

I tested the stator, and it was good........ back then (foreshadowing)

Super Moderator
Good call on the Metri pac. The VFR series suffers from the exact same chronic issue, the cheapo factory supplied connectors barely sufficient for use on an old RC car.

Reactions: ghostt

Registered
2009 Ninja EX500r
Most just solider them together Kudos on you for taking time to make it, right!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #31
Most just solider them together Kudos on you for taking time to make it, right!
That's what a lot of them recommend on the GW forum, but I decided against it, just in case I needed to do something else.... foreshadowing 馃榿

Registered
Good call on the Metri pac. The VFR series suffers from the exact same chronic issue, the cheapo factory supplied connectors barely sufficient for use on an old RC car.
Ducati's also (at Least 996's) melt those for fun. Did the MOSFET conversion and the guy selling the kit provided new connectors to replace the existing one, regardless of how it looked. A case of not IF it will fail but WHEN it will fail.

Super Moderator
As posted when I did conversions 10-11 years ago.....I chose to eliminate mid connectors entirely on both my 900SS and VFR. Weatherproof Furukawa connectors at the Mosfet allow disconnection for whatever reason (diagnostic or removal). Furthermore a mid-connector can always be retrofitted if desired for any reason.
On both of mine ...zero issues. no reason to reinvent the wheel....LITFA (leave it the F alone)

Various methods exist for individually preferred mounting and wiring methods. Back then, commercially available "kits" didn't exist...it was fully DIY.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #34
I remember those days, we did them on the EX, it was totally diy. And the mosfet r/r itself was pricey even used ones.

I'm sure that tread from long ago can be found on here.

Super Moderator

Super Moderator

This I think the 1st one posted in August 2010. Note these were done way before the now popular Roadster Cycle Mosfet dealer was in business. Yup, truly DIY. I did a couple Suzuki GSXR, Triumph 675 and 900 Sprint, my VFR800, my Ducati, EX500, others I've forgotten.

I still stock and occasionally sell them under my Vendor CCS identity here. Plug n play for EX....side and tail mount versions available.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #37
Ahhh takes me back.

I remember when I did my first one on my orange EX, I had to source the R/R connectors from Eastern Beaver iirc. Then I just cut the harness end off a dead R/R I had hanging around, it's been about 10 years now, and issues whatsoever.

Registered
As posted when I did conversions 10-11 years ago.....I chose to eliminate mid connectors entirely on both my 900SS and VFR. Weatherproof Furukawa connectors at the Mosfet allow disconnection for whatever reason (diagnostic or removal). Furthermore a mid-connector can always be retrofitted if desired for any reason.
On both of mine ...zero issues. no reason to reinvent the wheel....LITFA (leave it the F alone)

Various methods exist for individually preferred mounting and wiring methods. Back then, commercially available "kits" didn't exist...it was fully DIY.
"Kit" was a bit of a loose term. It was essentially a MOSFET R/R, some appropriate gauge wires and some loose electrical connectors. A good amount of cutting and soldering required to fit, certainly not plug-n-play.
I will be going completely DIY on the MOSFET conversion on the VFR. I already have a R/R in my possession, just need to buy the wires and connectors to finish the job.

My upgraded battery/starter wiring on the 996 was completely DIY, including the 4 gauge copper strand wired form the welding supplies store, heavy duty copper lugs from Grainger, and a nice shiny new heavy duty crimping tool. A thing of beauty when it was finished.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #39
May 2018,
Replacing timing belts.

Yes you read that correctly, it uses timing belt, 2 to be exact. It's a fairly easy and straightforward job.

One item to note is the OEM belt is about $100 USD, and it requires 2, but you can use Gates brand timing belt for about $9 USD each. Guess which ones I got..... Yup Gates.

I did replace the the thermostat just because it's age, and i modify it by added a few extra holes to aid coolant flow.

Now for a few cosmetics changes, first up was to paint the aluminum part on the front fairing black.

Then if you notice the two lenses next to the headlight. OEM had amber builds, which were very dim incandescent. I replaced those with white LEDs.

The I moved to the side of the front fairing. Honda put the yellow reflectors. I replaced those with LED yellow ones, which it does running and turn function.

They were a bit of a PITA to wire up due the lack room in the front fairing.

Not only does it look cool, but adds safety to increasing the side visibility, which all motorcycles need.

After this I took the Goldwing on the first long distance trip to the North Carolina coast. It preformed great. The ride out there I did it straight there, it was comfortable, and it was nice to have a radio, cup holder, cell phone holder, big windshield, etc....

This was very weird for me as it's my first touring bike. The Goldwing is said to be the king of it's class of bikes, and I tend to agree with it.

The ride back I took my time, and it even more of a joy to ride it. Keep in mind it weighs about 800 lbs, but once it's moving it doesn't feel heavy. It has a low center of gravity, thank to the boxer engine.

The ride comfort was okay, the adjustable air suspension works great, and adds to the versatility if the bike, going down the intestate set it a bit soft, and it floats like an old school Cadillac 馃榿 back roads, set it a bit firmer. Riding two, no problem, adjust it again, need to air to the tires, no problem there either, it also comes with a air line to add more.

Now about the gas mileage, I averaged about 42 mpg.

The only negative thing I found was the seat, after all it's old, but it wasn't too bad. I enjoyed the highway pegs, they help a bunch, due to I have a 34" inseam.

So what do you think so far? Any questions so far?

Attachments

Super Moderator
Looking good! (y)
It having a timing belt doesn't surprise me. But having 2 of them does. First time I've ever heard of any vehicle that has 2 timing belts/chains. I would be curious to know what the advantage is to having independent belts?

21 - 40 of 55 Posts