Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I first encountered a knowledgable group of motorcyclists over at the about.com forums. They steered me toward the smaller bikes, as they were much more forgiving of typical beginner mistakes. I listened and got the 500.

It all finally came in handy today when I was making a left turn (on a green arrow), and from the opposing direction, some guy decided it was clear to make a right turn on red... right in front of me. I stood my bike up straight in a flash (at least I did that right), but while doing so, I grabbed a big ol' handful of front brake. The front tire promptly locked but it wasn't a continuous lock, as it made more of a chirp-chirp-chirp noise. By the time I let off the brake to unlock the wheel, I was already stopped. I'm not sure a more powerful sportbike would have been so forgiving. All I got from this incident was a harsh reminder to go practice my emergency braking, and a rapidly beating heart.

Just a plug for the friendliness of our ninjas.

·
Registered
326 Posts
yea, i agree. i turned onto a backoad at night driving past a driveway, a guy comes flying out as if my headlights weren't there. if i didn't swerve i would of hit into him

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
The little ninja is a great bike, but that 'ABS' feature probably came from the front forks or the frame bending under the load..

Glad to see you didn't ended up as a hood ornament :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, the chirping did seem very ABS-ish to me. I swore I broke something after hearing it. The bike still rides just fine though. Maybe I was just very lucky with the amount that I pulled the lever being just right to make the wheel do what it did.

Yeah right... I something's probably broken isn't it?

The way me and the SUV would have collided, he would have actually been my hood ornament. I just decided an SUV hood ornament was too much bling, you know? ;)

·
Registered
440 Posts
I've noticed the "ABS" chatter a few times in wet conditions when I brake on a bumpy section of road. The worst was when I rolled over an expansion joint while hard braking in the rain when a cager dove into the lane in front of me. I was all over the bike looking for something broken but everything was and is fine thankfully. Sounded like the lower fairing rattling.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Ninjastorm66 said:
I just decided an SUV hood ornament was too much bling, you know? ;)
We're on the same page :D

·
Registered
261 Posts
I had to make a "panic" stop today and I didn't notice any "ABS-like" feel. Aside from the squealing of the locked rear it was a pretty smooth stop. (who needs a disc in the rear, that drum is more than enough!) I must say that bike stopped much quicker than I was expecting. (I know, shame on me for not practising quick stops in a parking lot before taking to the street)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts