Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
me. for leaving my key in the ignition, the switch in the ON position, and going in for a few hours to play freaking video games. on the plus side, it DOES give me an excuse to get a new battery, but I'm screwed as far as getting to work goes.

·
Registered
245 Posts
cant you just jump it? I also heard you can push a bike and get it going then try to start it like in a car. However I tried this in my manual car once and no luck...But im sure you just need to recharge your battery and dont need to buy a new one.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Quentin said:
cant you just jump it? I also heard you can push a bike and get it going then try to start it like in a car. However I tried this in my manual car once and no luck...But im sure you just need to recharge your battery and dont need to buy a new one.
That's because you did it wrong. You put the car in first, hold the clutch down, put the ignition to on, and get the car rolling. Once the car starts moving, release the clutch.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Heck no, the award should go to me: It was one Monday morning. I wanted to get a fuel at a gas station close to a local college (so bunch of chicks waiting for a bus.) My entrance was grand and very fashionable. From 30m/hr or something speed to zero within splitting seconds. You could hear my engine, the brake, and everything. Heads are now turned to me. Wow, I said to myself, I'm really good.

I'll have to now get off the bike, pay the cashier, fill me up.

But here is why I should be nominated for the award: I dropped my bike for not putting the kickstand down when getting off.

·
Registered
343 Posts
regarding jumpstarting our bike: My battery died when I was in Denver, and I managed to jump start it to get to the store to buy a new one. You need to be going about 10mph to do it (I kept failing at 5), which was more than my legs and the tiny slope (best I could find) could do. Fortunately two guys gave me a push ;)

What I did was get it rolling in neutral, put it into second and let the clutch slip (about halfway out) until it starts turning over. Then pull the clutch in quickly before it dies. If you have no one to help you and no slope, you might be able to push it to 10mph by standing next to it and running, although I don't think I could safely jump on while it's moving and I didn't like the idea of starting the engine in gear when I'm holding onto the handlebars but out of the saddle (although if you pull in the clutch fast enough you should be ok)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Watch some old races. They used to have to push start. That will give you an idea of how to do it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
jcs, you can do it easily if you're tall enough by straddling the bike. I had to do it quite a bit when I first got my bike as the battery was dying. Move it forward enough to shift into second (I had to do this by hand because the neutral finder on the bike makes it hard to do if the bike's not moving). Once in second, clutch in, and push and run. Let the clutch out - not all the way, but enough to turn the bike over - clutch back in to keep from stalling.

Oh, and make sure the key is on and the kill switch isn't set to "off", or you'll just get sweaty.

Now try doing this in full sun on a 90F day. :)

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Ohh Come on the pushstart on the EX is easy compared to other bikes. Smaller displacement, lower compression ratio and a low seat.

I had a battery going tits up on me two years ago on my EX. It would hold a charge for a few hours and then it was dead. Until I coulf afford the new battery I had to push start the bike, which was about 2 months. Start by turning on the low beams (less power draw). Put the bike in second gear and pull the clutch in. Put the choke on, this will help the bike idle once you get her fired. Run next to the left side of the bike and when your right leg is going back in it's stride continue the stride up in the air, and swing it over the back of the bike.
As your left leg comes back transfer your weight onto the now mounted right leg and bring the left leg up to the pegs. Shift your weight as far back on the seat as you can. This will help prevent rear tire lock up from the added weight on the tire. Pop out the clutch.

It may take you a few runs, but hell I did this for 2 months with 4 time a day to get to and from work.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, I think my battery is close to 3 years old, give or take, and has no acid in it evidently, from the quick check I just did, which explains why it seemed rather weak lately. I'm having my mom pick up some battery acid at autozone on the way home, and I'm going to try charging the battery in the meantime, just to see how it goes.

no way on gods green earth am I going to push start the thing today, it feels like 110 outside, and there aint no shade, so screw that.

·
Registered
244 Posts
The 50mph right after the push creates a breeze, which compensates for the heat from pushing it.

You really should learn to push start it - and at home. You never know when you'll need to, and it's certainly better to already know how.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thing is, I know how, I'm just not willing to make myself suffer a heat stroke because I'm trying to learn something new.

my battery is low on acid, which is why it was feeling weak lately, so that will be taken care of shortly.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Steps to push start your bike:

1) Move to a house on a long hill!
2) Switch jobs so that your're next to a long hill!
3) No more pushing, just ride down the hill and complete other steps while riding on down hill!

Not financially feasible, but still a good set of plans.

EDIT: changed 'your' to 'you're' because I realized I'm an idiot and was typing way too fast.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
or plan B. devise some creative way to have a kickstarter on the thing. hey it would be simple enough to do the trick, who cares?

F

·
0 Posts
I think I deserve an hounorable mention here. A coupe weeks ago I was riding and I saw a girl that I had been meaning to go visit, so I pull over and wave....than as I get off my bike my pantleg gets caught on the footpeg! Thankfully I didn't yank the bike right over. She said she didn't even notice but I think she may have just said that to be polite.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts