Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay here goes. I had my 89 ex apart over the winter to basically clean it up and replace some older parts and get it in tip top shape. I've had the carbs apart numerous times now and can't seem to get things right. I've taken them all apart, all the jets out, and sprayed them out with carb cleaner again and again. I can see light right thru the jets and I checked the level for the float bowls, and they're both at 17mm. The pilot screw is currently out two turns. My problem is that I'm not even getting enough fuel into the thing to get it running. When I first put everything back together, it started but only ran with the choke all the way on, and then it died. So I figured it wasn't getting enough fuel and I pulled everything apart and cleaned everything and checked everything for adjustment and everything seems like it should work. At this point I'd be happy just to get it running, even if it's not running perfectly.

I'm at a loss here. The riding season is now upon us here in PA and not being able to ride just sucks. I'm to the point that I'm tempted to take the bike to a shop just to make sure everything is set perfectly. Is there something I'm possibly missing that I haven't checked yet? Should I try adjusting the floats to dump more fuel? Any input would be great.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Are you sure you are getting good fuel flow from the tank? You can pull the petcock assy off the tank and check the dopey little inline filters for blockage and clean the tank. Make sure the vacuum valve on the petcock is operating properly or you will get no fuel. And of course install an inline filter between the petcock and the carbs unless you actually enjoy cleaning carbs.

You can attach a clear tube to the bowl drain and open the bowl drain valve to monitor the bowl fuel level.

If the thing sat all winter with any gas in the tank it will likely need a good cleaning.

·
Registered
19,635 Posts
You still haven't cleaned the pilot jets.

FOG

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The gas, the fuel line and the fuel filter are all new. I can see fuel going thru the fuel filter.

FOG said:
You still haven't cleaned the pilot jets.

FOG
I pulled the pilot jets, the little screws that are recessed up inside next to the main jets, correct? I've had them out quite a few times.

·
Registered
19,635 Posts
Check the fuel level in the carbs by attaching a clear tube to the drain , open the drain and observe the fuel level. it should be even with the bowl line.
You must confirm that the pilot passage is open squirt carb cleaner from the pilot jet and observe the flow thogh the metering holes in the carb throat.

FOG

1 - 5 of 5 Posts