Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry...i cant find it in the manual and i did a search but came up negative, when i bought the bike it had 2400 kms on it and had a dealer tune up and the oil was changed, now im up to around 4000 kms and wondering when i should change the oil and get another dealer service done...can anyone help?? I think they recomend every 3000kms for an oil change,

Thanks

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
3000 miles or 5000 km

There's a great vid done in the how-to section :)

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
personally, if the oil installed was conventional oil, i'd change it much earlier than 3000 miles. i've got an oil analysis of some Honda GN4 from my CBR that i'm ready to send in. the oil has only 1400 miles on it, but when it came out, it looked like soup.

when i get my results back, i'll post it here.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Never hurts to remember that there's more to oil wear than mileage...

Oil lasts longer with...

-lower RPM shifting
-cruise miles (vs in-town stop/go)
-trips that let everything reach operating temp (depends on air temp too)
-clean & effective air filters
-large effective oil filters
-properly working & maintained cooling system

Anything else?

People who commute at steady speeds & keep the revs to midrange oughta have oil lasting longer.

·
Registered
722 Posts
the only thing you hurt from changing the oil sooner than the "recommended" service is the environment. You hurt the environment AND the bike by going longer.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Jason said:
the only thing you hurt from changing the oil sooner than the "recommended" service is the environment.
And the pocketbook.
And the time lost changing it more often than necessary.
And giving Big Oil yet another coin.

Still, since we don't all have ready access to oil analysis, your point is clear:
You hurt the environment AND the bike by going longer than service recommended.

Hey, does the 500 owner's manual have normal & severe operation service schedules, like cars do?

·
Registered
722 Posts
MrSciTrek said:
Jason said:
the only thing you hurt from changing the oil sooner than the "recommended" service is the environment.
And the pocketbook.

Hey, does the 500 owner's manual have normal & severe operation service schedules, like cars do?
1. good maintenance will most often be costly
2. oil change takes 15-20 minutes, and you can multitask during the time it's draining.
3. Big Oil was small oil at one point in time.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Jason said:
MrSciTrek said:
Jason said:
And the pocketbook.

1. good maintenance will most often be costly
2. oil change takes 15-20 minutes, and you can multitask during the time it's draining.
3. Big Oil was small oil at one point in time.
And we're off... on a tit-for-tat tour of verbage... :)

1) Willfully excessive maintenance is even more costly
2) Ditto... cost even more time, which could be used for site participation ;)
3) And then came the industrial revolution (What's your point?)

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
i don't want to babysit today guys...  It's bad enough i've got to do that for some of our customer's accounts today.

Just play nice.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Knightslugger said:
i don't want to babysit today guys... It's bad enough i've got to do that for some of our customer's accounts today.

Just play nice.
shoot this isn't mudslinging like most net arguments.

MrSciTrek said:
And we're off... on a tit-for-tat tour of verbage... :)

1) Willfully excessive maintenance is even more costly
2) Ditto... cost even more time, which could be used for site participation ;)
3) And then came the industrial revolution (What's your point?)
1. you took the sooner than recommended and good maintenance to mean something more than shaving off 500-1k miles. If I use a car almost everyday with long rides I will try to change the oil at around 2.5k miles with a filter change every oil change w/ engine oil treatment replacing 1 quart of oil.
2. 15-20 minutes used to caress and treat my bike > sitting on my rear in front of my computer. However you could use the time the oil is draining to check on a few topics.
3. I don't see anything wrong with buying products from a company that happened to be successful. I don't begrudge a company for doing well, I don't see the point.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Oils have gotten a lot better. No point in not taking advantage of it.

Everyone has ready access to oil analysis. You even have ready access to expert interpretation of the results. You may not feel like paying for it, but it is there for the taking.

I'll be doing a UOA when I get to the change interval, but that will be a while. Amsoil suggests doubling the manufacturer OCI so I'll be running to 6,000 miles before I pull a sample.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
FazerDude said:
Oils have gotten a lot better. No point in not taking advantage of it.

Everyone has ready access to oil analysis. You even have ready access to expert interpretation of the results. You may not feel like paying for it, but it is there for the taking.

I'll be doing a UOA when I get to the change interval, but that will be a while. Amsoil suggests doubling the manufacturer OCI so I'll be running to 6,000 miles before I pull a sample.
you may want to pull a sample before then, say 4000 or 5000 miles... a sample, don't change it out. just suck some out if you can. i'm pretty confident that the GN4 was done for... but i like expert opinions on the matter. i stress that look and smell mean very little when it comes to judging oil state. that should be here some time next week.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I might pull an earlier sample, maybe 3k out of curiosity, but I don't intend to change it at 6k, just to pull a sample. I'm expecting this oil to go to 10k at least.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
FazerDude said:
I might pull an earlier sample, maybe 3k out of curiosity, but I don't intend to change it at 6k, just to pull a sample. I'm expecting this oil to go to 10k at least.
Pretty optimistic number TBH... we'll see.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
FazerDude said:
From what I've gathered in the several topics dealing with oil (& how our wet-clutch & tranny uses the same oil as the engine) my tweaked perspective on the consensus is- to change the 500's oil/filter at about half the mileage it would last in a car with similar relative usage.

Conservatively driven car, not revved like racing or stressed by towing, w/ quality dino oil... 5-6,000 mi.
500 ridden likewise w/ dino oil... 3,000 mi

Same situation with synthetic oil... 7-10,000
500 w/ synthetic... 4-5,000

If you ride HARD, or maybe in especially hot weather w/ lots of shifting... sooner!
Dino- 2,000 Synthetic 3-4,000

Without actual oil tests including info on weather & riding style/use... it's all just informed speculation.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Gasp!

exer said:
I think FOG said that EX-500's are done for at 30K, so why change the oil at all :'(
Oh no, 30K and its done? My 2006 is about to click 26K. She seems to run ok, but now I'm worried! LOL!

Seriously though, my bike gets oil/filter at 3K miles religiously. So far, so good...

·
Registered
169 Posts
wrong! My bike has 55k miles, it's all in how you ride. Changing the oil frequently will massively prolong the bike's lifespan.

It's not that FOG is wrong, it's that he gets misinterpreted a lot. If you do wheelies all the time and change your oil never, I doubt any bike will make it beyond 20-30k miles. Conversely, if you take care of most any modern (mostly modern in our case) engine, it'll treat you fine for a long time.

·
Registered
19,635 Posts
I'm getting taken out of context here a little. I never said it was imposable to get long service from an EX Just that all the ones I've ever seen with 20K+ miles on them have been wrecks (engine wise) and I recomended that you not consider buying one with over that milage. Just too many opportunities for the PO/s to have wreeked mischief upon the poor beastie. That's also why I don't recommend buying a modified one (however so slightly) especially one that has had the exhaust changed. (proof the PO did mischief).

FOG

1 - 20 of 28 Posts